Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Tire size conversion and fit 70 Mach 1

Hello all,

Been awhile since I have been on the forum but I need some advice and help.

I am planning to purchase tires for our 70 Mach 1 - -351c - - stock suspension

The car had F-70 14's on crager classics.

I would like to run 215 70 14 on the front and 225 70 14 on the rear.

I am certain the tires I took off (about 30 years old) were F-70 14.

Before I order, I wanted to double check that the above sizes will fit.

I am pretty sure the front will be fine but how about the rear? Are they a little too wide?

I figure someone here has purchased tires for their 70 Mach and I want to be certain I get the right size. I plan to get Cooper Cobras

Thanks....... Print Dad

Hey Jim, I'll defer to the boys here on the *right* tire for the job, but I don't believe 70R14 225's will be too wide at all, assuming you have enough back-spacing on your Cragar's. Are you sticking with those 14" wheels? I think some of the guys run HUGE tires just fine.

I know you didn't ask, but just be mindful of any changes that might change your speedo reading. If you stick with 70's and don't go too wide, you should be just fine, but there are online "calculators" that help you determine the exact specifications relative to your old tire diameter to avoid any heartache there. For example, if you wanted to go with a lower profile (60's or 50's), it would help you find the exact width that would keep the relative diameter the same.

If you want that, lemme know, and I'll dig it up.

Tom

Hello Tom,

First I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Thanks for the tips/ideas.

Yes I plan to stick with the Cragers and 14 for at least awhile.

I am a bit concerned with the width on the back. I don't want to hit the inner fenders.

I have looked for a conversion that would help me know if the F-70 is equal to the 225's.

I may check around a bit more. I hope you get to spend a little time on the car this week-end.

Be well my friend and keep wrenching....... Jim

Print-D, your thinking is pretty close to correct on size conversions, but your thinking too small.......I have 235/60/14s on 7 inch rims in front, and 275/60/15s, ( same as L60-15 ) also on 7 inches wide, on the back. This fits my '69 fastback with no trouble and absolutely zero modifacations. 8 inch wheels in back would have been better, but I'm using what I have laying around. With just a little tweaking, you can fit larger still. I think the cars look better with wide tires rather than skinny. LSG

Hey Jim, happy Thanksgiving right back at ya!

Without commenting on "bigger is better" issue, I can tell you that F70 is definitely equivalent to 215/70R14. So you're on the right track there if you're looking for stock size.

Going to a 225/70R14 in the rear will result in your speedo reading 2.1% too SLOW as your overall diameter is a bit bigger than the stock 215's. (The width of the tire actually increases the "height" in proportion to the series 70, 60, 50, etc.).

If you want to keep your speedo on target and you're not religiously opposed to a lower profile tire, a 255/60R14 will put your within .8% of original speedo reading (which is almost negligible) while giving you a much meaner look. There are other combos that get you the same diameter, but this would look good with your 215/R70 fronts (should you stick with those).

I know the 255's won't be too wide...my boy has them on his car.

Good luck!

Tom

Hello LSG,

Thanks a lot. This is just the kind of info I am looking for.

I figured some of the members would be running pretty big tires. I never

dreamed that big tho. LOL

It must give a mean profile.

Thanks again. Print Dad

My 70 Mach1 has 7x14 Cragers with 225-60-14 on the front and 245-60-24 on the rear with no tire rub at all even with the 1 inch drop.

Hello Mach1Rider,

Wow.... This has me thinking a bit more. I never dreamed I could get that size tire under her. We like the look of a wide tire and I was not certain what I could use with the rims I have now. I am almost certain they are 7" wide.

Thanks for the info and for all the help in the past.

You are a great helper to this forum....... Print Dad

Hello All,

A new wrinkle in the tire choice. I like the Cooper Cobras but can't find the tires in 225/60/14. I am looking all over the net and can't find them.

Does anyone know of a place that has them or can someone suggest a different brand?

We want a solid raised white letter if possible.

I was possible thinking of 235/60/14 for the rear and 215/60/for the rear, not sure how that would look and if it is a good idea to go with the mixed size.

I like the look of a wide tire, but I am pretty certain the rims are 7 inch wide.

As always I appreciate any help and ideas. Print Dad

PD, I got my BFG's raised white letter from Summit racing, and it was the cheapest place around and shipped to my door via ups.

Not being a fan of free advertisment, I have the black letters out.

While I like the 225's up front, I will be going to the 275's for the rear soon as I can find a nice pair of 8 or 10 inch Cragers to mount them on.

Edited by Mach1Rider

Print D,

I currently have 225/70R 14's (14x7 Magnum 500 wheels) on my '70 Sportsroof. See my progress pix's for what it looks like. The car has no motor, interior or glass in the pics, so the gap between the top of the tire and wheel well is quite large right now. I also have 1" drop on front and rear.

Nice site with tire options.

http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fitment%20Guide%2069-70.pdf

Got Magnum 500s and BF goods mounted/balanced from Summit.

Use 2RETYV for the source code and recieve another 10% off. can't beat the price

BTW I'm running:

15x8 Rear / 15x7 Front

255 60 15 Rear / 235 60 15 Front

Edited by PaleRider

Hello All,

A new wrinkle in the tire choice. I like the Cooper Cobras but can't find the tires in 225/60/14. I am looking all over the net and can't find them.

A better and easier size to find would be a 225/70-14, I ran these on my stock styled steel wheels for many years with aboslutley no issues at all. I had the Kelly Charger RWL's and thought they looked great, I actually still have them and will be selling the whole setup sometime this spring if I can get my Cobra Brakes finally installed and my switch over to 17's. Then I'll be running 245/45-17 up front and 275/40-17 out back.

I'm running 255 40 18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 on the front on 8 inch wide wheels and on the rear I'm running 285 35 18 on 9.5 inch wide wheels on my 69 Mach 1. I think that is the widest you can go without rolling the fenders or other mods. I have Total Control Products front and rear coil over suspension with a 1 1/8 inch sway bar up front and a power rack and pinion steering system. The car handles great for the street. Its lowered about 1.5 inches all the way around and the shocks are set on about the middle setting for compression and rebound so it rides fine over the bumps. I don't race it but if I were, I can lower it another inch in about 20 minutes and adjust the shocks to be quite a bit firmer and then it should hold its own against any heavily modified S197 on the track.

the rear I'm running 285 35 18 on 9.5 inch wide wheels on my 69 Mach 1. I think that is the widest you can go without rolling the fenders or other mods.

would like to see some pics of the rear wheel/tire combo fitment without lips being rolled. I'm thinking of 17x9 in rear with 285/35 and 17x8 in front with 245/45. I want to lower the car a couple inches but am unsure the rear will fit.