Sign in to follow this  
BAdass70

the grande rebuild.....

hey everyone,

started on the restoration on my 1970 mustang grande. ran into some rust here and there and fixing it so far hasnt been bad.. floor pans are being replaced, trunk had some small holes around the drains, and today i removed the vinyl top to discover nothing but gold! no rust at all which i was very pleased with and happy!

heres a few pics..

[ATTACH]5641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5642[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5643[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5644[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5646[/ATTACH]

to anyone who has replaced pieces of the firewall, how hard is it and what is underneath it? its the part where it curves up for ur feet.. ive got a nice hole and ordered some new fillers for that section..

yeah the toe board.. i just ended up ordering firewall patches and doing it that way.. car is coming along below the driver side door there was a rust hole covered by bondo, cut the 2x3 square out and getting ready to patch that also.. car isnt in horrible shape but is enough.. more pictures to come..

I am sure you have already done this, but before you go patching it back together, make sure your torque boxes don't need any attention. Mine looked great on the outside, but the insides were not even close to usable. The previous owner did a good job masking the outsides with a rattle can. This area seems to be a consistant problem for these old stangs.

ok so update.. had to make small patch on the passenger side torque box nothing crazy, today i ordered a 3inch FG cowl hood from mustang unlimited.. should look nice.. the floor is back in and so is the firewall, almost ready to start the driver side.. ill post some more pictures soon, once this dam cold gives up !!

ok long awaited progress, completely finished passenger side floors body sealed and all, removed driver side floor, sizing up new firewall patch and floor seems to fit perfectly... got alot of stuff done in the past 2 days.. cowl hood is on looks great.. pictures to come once it stops raining..

haha no there not that bad.. it was more towards the middle i guess where the water sat and around the corners of the back seat, but overall im happy with the progress hopefully i can get the floor back in by this weekend that would be sweet! i just ordered from mustang depot the trunk spoiler lip, cant wait to see that on there!

are you planning on replacing the whole vynil top? What my dad did on ours, was start from the front of the quater window and went back to where i usually ends. just an idea

i plan on just leaving it off, i feel like i really dodged a bullet when i ripped it off and there was hardly any rust underneath it, so im just gonna keep it off and go from there, that looks awesome by the way!

well here are the photos of complete floor redone, this is my first will i do it again, yes i enjoyed cutting something out just the time and everything, plus i like being destructive so that helps..

[ATTACH]6324[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6325[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6326[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6327[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6328[/ATTACH]

im a plumber by trade but only ever soldered pipes..

my first time welding was an experience in its own hahaha

[ATTACH]6329[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6330[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6331[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6332[/ATTACH]

i asked this in the tech section but my glass hood is bowed some.. i decided to put cinder blocks on both sides where it seemed to bow.. so far it seems to have helped some but hasnt been warm enough for the glass to bend.. o well this coming week it suppose to be warm so hopefully it goes back the way it should be..