Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

GT Quad Exhaust Tips - same as Mach 1?

Howdy gents, am looking to restore this little GT coupe as close to stock as reasonable and I've got a line on some rolled quad tips from a 69 Mach 1 and am wondering if they are the same as what came on the GT's originally.

If anybody knows or -- better yet -- knows where I could buy said tips, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

Tom

Geez, belay the 2nd half of my request. I found a site that seems to carry the repro quad tips:

http://www.trophymustang.com/196769-original-style-dual-exhaust-tips-p-3004.html?osCsid=836c2540627a7103fc62f1f66a38fb72

These tips from the Mach 1 I can get for cheaper, so if anybody knows if they are the same, I'm still happy to know.

Tom

Is there a ‘correct’ distance that these tips should stick out of the rear valance?

I’ve seen some sitting almost flush with the valance cut outs, and then other sticking out upwards of six inches or more.

Did the factory have a set standard distance?

Regards,

Tony

Good question...I was wondering the same thing. There is a 69 GT coupe on eBay that has the correct "transverse" muffler arrangement so I'm guessing this is as close to stock as it might get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-GT-1969-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-SUPER-RARE-1-OF-1-NO-MACH-BOSS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca6d99fbfQQitemZ260497317823QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

The pictures aren't super great for the exhaust, but it looks like they're nearly flush with the valance...poking out about an inch at most it seems.

Hi foothilltom,

Thanks for your reply, and the ebay link.

Yes, it does appear that the exhaust tips remain quite close to the valence. In my opinion they look best like this when they do not stick out too far past the valance. Nonetheless, I’d still like to get confirmation of what is factory stock distance.

Regards,

Tony

hey Tom, just an FYI for, IIRC your car is an H-code 351 2v if so it would not have had the quad tips or even dual exhaust. it would have been single exhaust with the regular rear valance without the cutouts for the tips. if your car is an M-code 351 4v (or larger engine) then the rolled tips would be correct