Sign in to follow this  
Moteaux

Fan Clutch - Should I Have One?

My engine is currently out of my car and my friend and I were discussing the rebuild and he asked me about my car not having a fan clutch. I never really noticed or considered it before, but sure enough, it doesnt have one.

My question is since the car does have factory AC, should it have come with a fan clutch and/or should I consider putting one on since there currently is not one. :helpsmilie:

My engine is currently out of my car and my friend and I were discussing the rebuild and he asked me about my car not having a fan clutch. I never really noticed or considered it before, but sure enough, it doesnt have one.

My question is since the car does have factory AC, should it have come with a fan clutch and/or should I consider putting one on since there currently is not one. :helpsmilie:

I don't think having/not having A/C really matters with the fan clutch. It's job is to free up the fan at high revs so it's not straining/dragging on the motor when airflow is better (and the fan is less needed).

I think you'd benefit from one and don't see you having any ill effects. Just make sure you have enough clearance for one. I've read elsewhere that sometimes it hit's the radiator (but that may be with a later style "longer" water pump).

But an electric fan is probably the best way to go (but more expensive).

Hope this helps!

*Edit - i guess you may have been asking for the originality of it. If so i miss read your post. But from your Avatar, it looks like you have a restomod, so you're probably someone who doesn't care about originality :)

Edited by Jayru

Jayru, basically from what I have sourced last night I think it is to maintain constant fan speed like you were saying and less drag on the engine. So yes, with replies here I can see the benefit. I also agree with the benefit of the electric fan.

So, I think what I will do now since "ponying up" all the funds for engine and transmission is probably do an electric fan once I get some more money saved up.... This car is getting expensive!!! :scared:

***Jayru, not so much for the originality, but functionality. My car was as basic as a Mach 1 comes. I had only the Mach interior, drum brakes, 2v Engine and 3 speed transmission. I have made some mods, but nothing that cant be easily changed back, 'cept maybe for the front disc conversion.

Edited by Moteaux

To answer your original question, 'no'. The 69 351W w/AC did not have a fan clutch in the Mustang, but it did have one in the 351W AC equipped Cougar. It's definitly a useful upgrade, but of course for pure functionality the electric fan is better. I went with the original fan clutch so everything looks period correct. Most people don't know it's not original to the car.

To answer your original question, 'no'. The 69 351W w/AC did not have a fan clutch in the Mustang...

...I went with the original fan clutch so everything looks period correct.

Thanks for the definitive on if it came stock, but I have to ask, if it didnt come originally with a fan clutch, can you help me to understand what you meant when you said "I went with the original fan clutch". Do you mean that you used a Cougar fan clutch or another fan clutch for Mustang. Just trying to understand what you put on exactly.

Thanks again!

I used the fan from a Cougar as the bolt spacing is wider to mount it to the fan clutch. The clutch itself is a new modern replacement part that is dimensionally the same but has a thermal design rather than just rpm activated. When the fan gets hot enough, it locks up. When it cools down, it de-couples, or at least that's how I understand it is supposed to work.

Just to throw in my loose thoughts, I had a 302 w AC and no clutch. I added clutch and fan from newer car I got from a bone yard and it fit perfectly, though not original to the car. Clutches can be either thermal or speed functions. The thermal locks when the temperature gets to a certain degree, and the speed fan locks at lower fan speeds. My guess is the speed locking fan is more efficient because when you are driving at highway speeds you do not want the fan to be working.