Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Locking Gas Cap?

Hey Guys,

Anyone know of a decent locking gas cap for our cars?

I will be driving my car to NY a lot (if it ever runs again!), and i want to make sure people can't just unscrew my gas cap and siphon gas or put something down my tank.

I've found only one "locking" gas cap. It's pretty lame looking:

http://mustangsplus.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1

But i also found this:

http://www.americanpony.com/store.mv?p=802342

There's no picture, so I'm not sure what it even is, but it seems to work with your factory cap from the inside? Anyone have this?

Thanks!

Jay

Is this the one you were trying to post?

http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-1535.html

It doesn't look too bad, but could be better.

Yea, not sure why my link isn't working, but that's the one. I think it's lame with the speckled silver and just the Pony.

Was hoping there was something better out there.

Anyone make a stubby filler tube neck with a cap on it that allows you to fill from inside the trunk effectively eliminating the rear gas cap? That's an idea too.

Aren't there reproduction "Pop Open" style, like the GT's or Shelby's, that have a regular locking cap inside?

I saw the pop open ones do have a small cap inside, but I don't believe it locks. If you know of some place that sells them please let me know! That would be exactly what I'm looking for!

And yea Lfugate, I think that must be what the other link is. I can't even begin to imagine how it works!

I was thinking about using this on my boat when the gas prices spiked two years ago, never got around to it though. It goes in your filler tube to stop someone from inserting a hose but allows gas to go in.

FUELSAFE.jpg

Radiator hoses can supply the correct size and bend. Mock something up or trace the bend on a piece of cardboard and go to the parts store. Most are friendly enough to let you wad through the hoses until you find the correct shape and size. I've done this with my radiator hose and my belt.

Just ordered up the CJ pony Gas filler today

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=GC15

It seems the neck is a straight stub out in the back. I'll need a hose to go from the straight filler tube (and bend) down to the gas tank filler hole, anyone have any ideas?

now thats a nice gas cap ... interested to know how hard it is to install.. drilling etc. take pics on your install...:tongue_smilie:

Radiator hoses can supply the correct size and bend. Mock something up or trace the bend on a piece of cardboard and go to the parts store. Most are friendly enough to let you wad through the hoses until you find the correct shape and size. I've done this with my radiator hose and my belt.

I was thinking that, but are radiator hoses able to withstand gasoline?

Haha! I'm not that ballzy, although it would be interesting to attempt on a coupe (i wonder how it would look on the top of the quarter just behind the window).

My plan's to mount it where the factory one is now. I initially really just wanted a locking gas cap, but all available were really lame looking, so I'm buying this "race" unit and making it work (fingers crossed).

Stangme - I'll be sure to take pics and do a write up of my install.