Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Epilog on Gas Tank Sealer turning gas red

Recall I took my tank and a neighbor's tank down to get sealed and mine turned into a disaster. Well, I warned the kid and he put gas in it and let it sit for a few days before putting it in his little Luv truck. It turned his gas red too and now he's going to get into it with the Radiator shop.

So if anybody but me needed to be reminded: get a new tank before you pay $85 to get yours boiled and sealed.

Tom

It's possible, I suppose, though mine had little red dots visible in the fuel filter in addition to the red color. It's probable that folks don't inspect their gas as my neighbor kid did and the pink is relatively harmless until it "goes away", but I still can't believe that anything dissolving into the gas is a good thing.

It sure seemed to put me into a tailspin, but perhaps that will all be explained my something else when my engine mystery is finally solved.

Tom

I had my gas tank done back in 93. Can't say that I ever noticed anything odd and it's still in the car and doing fine. But I don't think I put my tank back in right away. Can't really remember now though.

The tank I had sat for I'll bet 8 years before being used.