Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Emergency brake release handle location?

Hey Guys,

Been meaning to post about this, but the engine drama has kept me busy.

I replaced my E brake assembly with the aftermarket one sold by most parts houses (the release handle was bent and non functioning on my original).

I'm wondering about the position of the release handle. It's super low and on an angle, right between the clutch and E brake pedal. It's literally the stupidest place for it. I can now see why the original was bent and non functional, I've already stepped on it twice by misjudging where the E brake or Clutch pedal is.

Is that the same location it was originally/factory? I imagine the better place is up and close to the dash (away from the pedals). Anyone encounter this? I'm thinking i may just take it off and bend the handle up or something. Will that affect the release?

Thanks!

Jay

I have an Automatic, and my handle is pretty far to the right (Away from the door) but it's up high, almost to the bottom of the Dash. I would think that bending yours to move it up and/or to the left wouldn't cause any problems with the way it worked, and you woildn't always be hitting it with you foot. I could take a picture of mine if you's like.

Yea, a pic would be great!

I had an idea that would be the best location for it (and that the position of the aftermarket one was wrong). I wonder why the new aftermarket one comes bent in the downward position like that?

I wanted to make sure that wasn't the factory position (and was like that for a reason).

Thanks!

It would help if you could post a picture of yours as well. I was really baffled when I read your first post and so was hesitant to reply as I don't ever recall mine being super low or on an angle and even remotely being afraid to accidentally step on it.

It would help if you could post a picture of yours as well. I was really baffled when I read your first post and so was hesitant to reply as I don't ever recall mine being super low or on an angle and even remotely being afraid to accidentally step on it.

I will post one this weekend. It is literally so low and awkward that when releasing (pulling on the handle), the E Brake pedal actually hits my hand on recoil if I'm not careful!

I think i may have come up with a hypothesis on what's going on here.

jkskinsfan, thanks for the pics! It seems yours, being an automatic, has the E Brake lever basically where my clutch pedal is. I'm wondering if Ford had 2 versions of the E Brake assembly (one for manual and one for auto's).

Maybe my aftermarket one is positioned the way it is so it can be used for both setups?

Anyone have a pic of an E Brake handle from a manual car?

Bringing this back from the dead. Finally was able to snap a pic of the aftermarket repro E Brake handle location. As you can see, it's retarded.

Also, the ratcheting function already seems to be malfunctioning! When you get 3 or 4 clicks down on the petal it pops back up like the ratchet mechanism is slipping!

I'm definitely unsatisfied with the repro, but my original was completely broke, so i have to make this one work somehow!

I would take it back out and see if you can't get a good look at what's slipping. And while you've got it on a bench bend the arm up and to the right a bit at a time until it's closer to the dash. You could even mount a collar for it to slide through and hold it in place on the underside of the dash

Are you sure that's mounted right? The handle should be horizontal, not vertical. It looks rotated 90 degrees?

Yea, the handle screws on, so it'll rotate wherever i put it. But it stops on the threads crooked (another problem). If i turn the handle to be horizontal, it then becomes so close to the release handle that it actually hits my hand (the pedal) on release.

Yea, the handle screws on, so it'll rotate wherever i put it. But it stops on the threads crooked (another problem). If i turn the handle to be horizontal, it then becomes so close to the release handle that it actually hits my hand (the pedal) on release.

did the original handles screw on? ... the only thing thats wrong with mine is the handle broke off.... otherwise thats it..

It's hard to tell from the pic, did that handle hug the dash or was it lower? You said that was your old one, does that one work? Is it original? Want to sell it to me?

Yes, it hugs the dash. It works fine and is the original.