Sign in to follow this  
Jurisd

Opinions on Modern Driveline kit

I'm looking to order the $3k+ kit from ModernDriveline.com for swapping a T-5 into my 69 vert in place of my broken C6.

Please reply with any experience you have had with this company or its products, and with any suggestions you have for the various choices they give you for flywheels, clutch, etc.:helpsmilie:

I had quite a few discussions with Modern and Keisler. In the end for various reasons, I went with Keisler for my TKO 600. It just arrived last week and I will begin the install in the next few weeks when I return from Indonesia.

I would at least check out their site and give them a call to discuss what you want from your car. I am sure they are both very good, but I just got the best "warm fuzzy" feeling from them in conversations.

...I went with Keisler for my TKO 600....

I would at least check out their site and give them a call to discuss what you want from your car.

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I did get a very professional quote from Keisler, but I ignored it because I thought the price too high. Now that I've had my eyes opened (and my expectations recalibrated) I'll dust it off. I do recall they were quoting a T-45 not a T-5. If I understand correctlyt, isn't a T-45 weaker than a T-5 and a T-5z?

Now that I've had my eyes opened (and my expectations recalibrated) I'll dust it off. I do recall they were quoting a T-45 not a T-5. If I understand correctlyt, isn't a T-45 weaker than a T-5 and a T-5z?

Quotes for TKO 600 were comparable from both vendors for me. Keisler ended up being a bit higher, but not by much and because of a couple of variables which pushed it up. I felt I got the most complete response and quote for the questions I asked them. That is why I suggested picking up the phone and talking to them about what you actually need. Maybe the T45 will suit your needs. There's plenty of ways to save on a T5 conversion from what I can tell, I am sure I dropped more coin than if I would have searched auctions, swapmeets and forums, but I dont have time to do that when I am home. I wanted the most complete no hassle, no muss kit that I can work with when I am home on my limited time off and as I said before, it came down to a bit of feeling more taken care of or understood and I paid a little more for it.

But... I guess will see when the install starts!! :scared:

I am not very satisfied with Modern Driveline...

I ordered a bunch of clutch and linkage parts from them.

On the phone they all seem very pleasant and knowledgeable. The guys took the time to answer all my questions and even helped me figure out an issue i had with my flywheel.

A+ for Technical Assistance.

Actually getting the parts and price are a different issue...

I ordered a clutch from them and a few other components. They charged me a big lump sum shipping fee. I had specified i needed the clutch within a weeks time and they assured me I'd have it in a weeks time, no problem.

A week later i had no clutch and they had no record it had even left the distributor yet!

I canceled the clutch and they refunded me the money for it, but kept the large shipping fees (even though what actually ended up being shipped to me was a small box with a speedo cable and fluid).

When it came time for a clutch and linkage pivot adapter for the new motor, i gave them a second chance...

It took 3 weeks for my clutch to arrive. Again, after stating I'd have it in a week. I was charged $190 for a clutch that is equivalent to the $120 ram clutch Summit sells (and i would have had speedy delivery of the clutch and free shipping from Summit). They also charged me $10 for 3 alignment dowels that Summit sells WITH all new clutch bolts included for $13! When i got the clutch the dowels weren't even in there! I called to get a credit, i still have not gotten it back on my credit card.

At the same time i had a Bell Housing bolt issue (standard to Metric) and asked them if they could help. They tried selling me a $45 bolt kit that i would have then had to pay shipping on and wait for. After some prodding and saying i already spent a few hundred dollars with you... they gave me the size so i could source the bolts locally. Only problem, it was the wrong size! I was left with my thumb up my ass the day i was trying to get it all back together.

I hate to talk bad about vendors, and everyone can have a bad day. But it happened twice to me. I'd be careful if you use them.

My experience has been OK - I think they are having growing pains -maybe with shipping, order processing.

i ordered a "complete kit" minus a T56 - as i find i am missing a part i call and they send me a part.

- i had the wrong clutch pedal with the initial order.. they sent me the correct one and i shipped the other back.. i paid to ship it back.

- they didn't send the throwout bearing/bushing with my order, when i found out i called and they sent me one.

- i did need the flywheel prior to ordering the kit - which they shipped and i paid separate for out of the initial order/quote.

- i needed a bellhousing bolt kit.. i bought my bellhousing/T56 used and it didn't come with bolts.

- also ordered a blocking plate due to my housing being a early version and having a partial blocking plate - i purchased the latest rev.

they have been very helpful and explained various reasons for modifications and such. overall i am pleased. i talked with them at the 45th mustang show in Birmingham a good bit.

i need to call today to see if i need to send my clutch master cylinder back as jayru had to do due to engagement not working. they are very easy to work with - this is my first swap so they have answered a lot of questions and have taken the time to do so.

Edited by stangme428

I had no experience with moderndriveline, but with keisler i had instants call backs they answered all my questions and sent me a qoute in the mail. But your best bet is to buy the transmission and buy everything else from summitracing.com or your parts store, i believe its cheaper the only thing you would really spend is the transmission and other parts that will need to buy like the clutch pedal (if your converting), bell housing and mount.

I used Modern Driveline, and was happy with price, service, technical support. I'd look at Keisler this time and compare them, though - heard good things about both.

The issue I might be concerned about, though, is if you get a TKO600 that is hard to coax into 3rd gear. I basically have to match revs to coax it into third. It's not a dealbreaker, but if I was drag racing it would be a huge bummer. There is a site in Michigan, I believe, that repairs the shifter gate and you can send them your parts and they modify them. Fixed a few guys' problems. I did a quick search and can't find them. If they sold a TKO600, I'd buy it from them and the rest of the parts from Keisler or Modern D.

In reviewing the thread, there are a few points that haven't been discussed. Summit Racing is great retailer with competitive pricing, but is a jack of all trades and master of none. Since Summit have the in depth knowldge of the transmission or convsions. They often send folks to us for this that reason. Summit and Jeg's pricing shouldn't be any lower so purchasing a transmission from a dealer like MDL that can support and service the transmission has its advantages.

Our goal here at MDL is to provide all the techanical support needed to install or convert to a five or six speed overdrive transmission. We provide everything from single item, to a whole package and everything in between. Many of the supporting parts used in conversions are manufactured and supply by us to make the installation as easy as posssible. By doing so, we try to meet everyone's needs. One of the ways we do this is to offer remanufactured transmissions in place of a new ones when is makes to do so.

When converting early Mustangs to a five speed overdrive, not everyone needs a TKO transmission and that's where a T-5 fits the bill with an average savings of $900. However, if the motor is making over 400hp, a 3550 or TKO series five is needed. For those of you that have used parts, we can supply the rest. The issue sometimes is the parts purchased a swap meet or on Ebay as an example maybe the wrong parts or is in the need of repair. If you know exactly what part is need and the condition of the part then its worth you while. Like what has been stated, we can supply the missing parts to complete the converison and affordable.

Has for the hard shifting of the TKO series five speeds above 6,000 rpms, we will be addressing the issue soon.

Regards, Bruce