Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Plugging transmission cooler lines in new radiator

So I bought a spanking new aluminum radiator from Summit and it's awesome...except...

It doesn't come with plugs for the transmission cooler lines. (I have a manual). Are these standard plugs that I can get from the neighborhood auto-parts store?

Seems like a game of hide and seek if they are not standard threads. Anybody have a thought here?

Thanks,

tom

Jeez, I just realized that those ports are for transmission OIL, not water. I was thinking the coolant/water would leak out those holes if not plugged. Man, I should think before typing.

Anyway, is it considered bad form *not* to plug transmission cooler holes for a manual tranny car? (Hoping to salvage my dignity by asking the question).

Tom

what radiator did you order? any mods for it to fit?

So I bought a spanking new aluminum radiator from Summit and it's awesome...except...

It doesn't come with plugs for the transmission cooler lines. (I have a manual). Are these standard plugs that I can get from the neighborhood auto-parts store?

Seems like a game of hide and seek if they are not standard threads. Anybody have a thought here?

Thanks,

tom

Jeez, I just realized that those ports are for transmission OIL, not water. I was thinking the coolant/water would leak out those holes if not plugged. Man, I should think before typing.

Anyway, is it considered bad form *not* to plug transmission cooler holes for a manual tranny car? (Hoping to salvage my dignity by asking the question).

Tom

Tom, I also added an aluminum radiator to my car and had the same question. I went to the local parts store and asked the guy about plugs for the cooler holes. He said they didn't carry anything like that and said you would probably end up adding a dedicated transmission cooler anyway if you added an auto. I'm sure I could have found plugs if I looked hard enough, but I'm not worried about just leaving the hopes open. If you are are worried about someone seeing empty holes, by all means plug 'em up, otherwise I see it as no big deal. :euro:

Leonard

Believe it or not Tom the place you want to go is the local hardware store, not the parts store. These lines are usually NPT threads, probably best to bring the radiator with you but my guess is 1/8" will fit fine. Be sure to get brass or at least galvanized.