Sign in to follow this  
DanF1973

69 GT question

I'm a proud owner of a 69 GT coupe=) Anyway my question is that I have a 302 with 2 B.Carb. Im thinking of changing it out to a 4 B.Carb with a different intake but not sure how to go about finding out what intake will fit. Also if the only modifications i'm looking at are mid lenght headers, intake and carb would a 600 Holley be right?

Hey Dan, welcome. There are a number of smart people here that will have your answers, but as someone who just recently researched GT Coupes, I'm wondering how positive you are that your car is a GT. My understanding is that they did not make 302/2V GT's. I ain't trying to be the turd in the punchbowl, but I figure you'd want to know one way or the other.

Do you have a Marti report? What options do you have that lead you believe it's a GT coupe? If it's a GT, congrats! That would make the 3rd coupe on this forum (Bnickel and yours truly the other 2 that I know of).

Tom

Hey thanks for the reply, to behonest I don't know... The guy told me it was a 1969 Ford Mustang GT. I just figured it was a coupe do to the styling from what else i've seen online. So all I know because i've only had her for 3 days is I believe the orginal 302 and carb. Since its not a fastback I just figured that was what it was from what I google thats what it looks like has the rear panel scoop leading out torwards the rear wheels and the center hood scoop? I will post a pic tonight if I can.

Hey Dan, if you're interested, there's a 69 Mustang GT Registry site:

http://home.comcast.net/~gt69registry/

The pages should help you determine if you've got the real deal based on the options that were usually included in the GT Equipment Group. Your description is that of a coupe (not a sportsroof or fastback or Mach) and there were very few GT-equipped coupes actually made (like less than 2,000).

The hood scoop (non-functional) with the turn-signal lights is definitely one of the options. Other tell-tale options are the GT flip-up gas cap, hood pins, GT stripes along the bottom of the door, and a few other things. I'm reasonably sure there was no 302/2V GT, but I could be wrong (usually am).

In any case, you could get a Marti report for $20 and that would settle things if you really care to know. Heck, I just wanted to know because they are so rare and the coupe I just bought had all the tell-tale signs (along with a good price).

It's hard to say if anybody in the "real world" even cares, but Mustang people do. In the meantime, I hope somebody answers your manifold/carb question. I'm sorry to have hi-jacked the thread.

Tom

Hi what is the fifth digit if it's a f it is not a gt. look for the buck tag on the passenger side of the car on the radiator core support by the head light if not there on the passenger side by hood hinge. on that tag if it has gt on it. it should be a gt.

do some checking. that F hides a lot of sins. :)

So hey guys thanks for all the replies i didn't take anything bad=) I'm just happy to won her=) Anyway what did he mean by the "F"? Also could someone help me on the orginal question about finding a intake to work with my 302?

Also could someone help me on the orginal question about finding a intake to work with my 302?

There's any number of intakes that will bolt right up to your 302. Edelbrock, Offenhauser, Weiend, Ford Motorsports, etc. I run a period correct (meaning 40-yr old) Edelbrock F4B aluminum high-rise and a Holley 600 on my 302-2V vert and it does a fine job. You might try looking at the Summit Racing site (www.summitracing.com) to get an idea on what's out there. Punch in your car's description (1969 302 Mustang) and browse the results.

While we're on the subject, a lot of folks feel 600 cfm is probably too big for a 302 (and they're basically right). But everybody runs them (including me) and they work fine if you tune them right. Plus they're common as dirt and easy to find....

Edited by 69RavenConv

Thanks man very new to FORDs, so when you mean 2v your refering to a 2 barrel Carb is that correct? And exhaust seems to be a bit tricky. I really don't want to run long tubes because not sure if i would have to hack up the exhaust thats on there now and the shorty's are just as much which i know if i'm correct give alittle bit better Tq then HP? Anyay I guess i'm looking to add alittle bit more ponies but not making it a drag car and beable to drive it all the time. A intake/Carb and exhaust would make her run better and I just replaced the 2 barrel already but some people run that with great reslults?..

My kid's car has the stock 2 barrel setup and it runs just dandy. With some modern mufflers, his engine sounds pretty "throaty" and his friends don't know it's a tame little 302. Besides, I don't want him really flying around town anyway.

If you're looking to increase performance, you'd definitely want to upgrade to a 4V carb/manifold. I trust you saw the Summit Racing links? Their site is really great for finding stuff for your car. There are smart people on this site who can give you specifics, but I would caution you not to over-carb your stock motor. There's only so much juice you're going to get out of that.

Ironically, a 4 barrel carb could give you better overall fuel economy if you keep your foot light as the 2 barrels are smaller than a stock 2V carb. But I doubt any self-respecting Mustang owner would consider that top priority.

As for your exhaust, you could get by with your same setup if you stick with your stock manifolds. If you upgrade to headers, you're probably going to need to at least modify the existing exhaust setup if not replace it entirely.

I guess it all depends in what you're trying to accomplish. For a daily driver, you might just keep it stock-ish and upgrade only when/if you feel the need for speed.

Tom

Yeah, by "302-2V" I meant my car was originally a 2-barrel, too, but I switched over to the 4-barrel setup. Tom's right, a 2-barrel will perform just fine on the street but most of us end up going the Tim Allen "more power" route. The 4-barrel conversion is a simple matter of spending few Benjamins and a Saturday afternoon.

The header issue a long-standing gripe among Mustang owners. Yes, they make a lot of headers and most of them can be made to work. If you want headers, rest assured you can get some and they will be ok. It just might take some work. Small blocks are easier. Clutch linkages and power brakes can be a pain. When you find a good-looking setup, ask the guys here, you'll probably get some good feedback. Good luck!

Hi Dan,

I have had my GT since 1982 an have been researching it since then and still finding out new things. 1st The smallest engine that came with the GT option was a 351. 2nd GT Package was and option and the Vin does not show the Gt option in it. If you do not have the original Build sheet Get a Ford 999 report or a Marti report. It will tell you. Most 69 GT's I came across 95% of them that have the no functional hood scoop have a Hole threw the hood that has a flat spot. Similar to the 68 GT with ram Air. The other similar item is the rear quarter extensions are Fiberglass instead of cast Alloy. Most people, even mustang shop owners will have some other excuse for these differences. but over 27 years Ive came across at least 30 in person and over 100 online and every one is similar to mine from what I could find out.

Keep searching, Ford gave people what they asked for back then, You may have a speacial one.

Vince...........

Hey guys thanks again, yes the exhaust has been replaced with 2.5 inch and a H-pipe midway down, and the car i believe doesn't have the stock cam. The reason I say this , is because the guy before me said when he cleaned up the heads milled them down some and rebuilt the top end the cam bolts had been turned before and the car does have alittle bit more of a lope then stock. So some work has been done to the motor. So i'll look around and see what i can find for a manifold and carb and headers=) I thinking the 600 right out of the box should be tuned enought for a basic stock setup? Again guys thanks a lot=)

I'f you've already got a modified CAM and a beefier exhaust then you almost certainly should be looking at some type of header and a carb/manifold upgrade. There is no point in getting air out faster if it's not going in faster. I'm running the Weind Stealth intake and Holly 600CFM on my 302 with long tubes and love the set up. If you don't want to mess with tuning the carb you should consider something more out of the box ready to go though like say a speed demon. Edelbrock makes full kits too that are designed to work together, you could get it all matching and ready to go which may be the best idea for you if you don't want to mess with mixing and matching to get the best performance.

I'f you've already got a modified CAM and a beefier exhaust then you almost certainly should be looking at some type of header and a carb/manifold upgrade. There is no point in getting air out faster if it's not going in faster. I'm running the Weind Stealth intake and Holly 600CFM on my 302 with long tubes and love the set up. If you don't want to mess with tuning the carb you should consider something more out of the box ready to go though like say a speed demon. Edelbrock makes full kits too that are designed to work together, you could get it all matching and ready to go which may be the best idea for you if you don't want to mess with mixing and matching to get the best performance.

Hey man thanks yes that would be the best a nice put together set=) The shop always charges me more when i work on it=) lol

Ha ha, yeah, we all fall victim to that. I've ended up costing myself more by trying to save on doing something myself more than once, a man has to know his limitations. Shop around for an Edelbrock S/B Ford 289-302 Performer Intake with Performer 600 cfm carb ID # 20314 that might be right up your alley and suit you well. They make more complete kits than that with heads and cams and what not too but this is probably all you really need for now.