Sign in to follow this  
69shelbycoupe

new here from Delaware

Just wanted to show off my new to me 69. Found this site and will be using it through my buildup. I plan to put all the 69 shelby equipment on this coupe. I know they didn't make a shelby coupe but they did make a prototype notchback. I have a 94 gt as well that I race and show.

DSC_6627.sized.jpg

welcome, look like a nice starting point for your project. i've never heard of a 69 shelby notchback prototype, would you happen to have any pics of it? i am aware of the 67 coupe (big red) and the 68 coupe prototype (green hornet) but have never seen or heard of a 69 version. i'm really curious to see any pics you might have or any links to more info on it or whatever you got.

try to look south of the border ;-)

http://www.darkhorseracing.net/south_of_the_boarder.htm

i'm thinking about adding some shelby style sail pannels to my hardtop since quite a while

i'm quite familiar with the mexican shelbys, i've even seen one up close and personal before actually but he mentioned a prototype 69 shelby coupe, they built quite a few of the mexican cars and a US prototype would be very different than a mexican version.

welcome, look like a nice starting point for your project. i've never heard of a 69 shelby notchback prototype, would you happen to have any pics of it? i am aware of the 67 coupe (big red) and the 68 coupe prototype (green hornet) but have never seen or heard of a 69 version. i'm really curious to see any pics you might have or any links to more info on it or whatever you got.

Yes you are correct. I am building based on the 68 green hornet. The only thing I'm not going to be able to replicate is the hood as far as I know. Here are a couple pics of what I'm going to do.

green_hornet_01.jpg

green_hornet_02.sized.jpg

green_hornet_01?full=1

the green and the tribute black hornet are based on a 1968 mustang coupes.

so your starting with the wrong base car and because you can't convert a 1969 into a 1968 mustang your car will end as a wannabe shelby rather then a replica.

if that's your goal, go ahead with your build, such a car can be a lot of fun.

if your planing to do a real replica car, the way to go would be a 1969 shelby de mexico clone.

I misunderstood his initial intention as well and assumed he was putting the whole 69" Shelby front clip onto his car. There is no doubting though that the alternate 67' Shelby grill light location shown on those pics was the inspiration for the look of the 69' Mustang so by simply adding the convertible deck lid and side scoops to his car as is it will have a simillar appearance but it won't be as unique as I originally thought since many restomods have adopted these parts over the year. That 67' Shelby scoop shown is available as a repro part and could be made to fit the 69' hood I'm sure with a lot of trimming tot he center section and that is a unique look that I have not seen yet on any 69' other than some concept drawings but those also showed it on a completely flat hood which I do not believe anyone makes for the 69' except for having a full cowl.

Making a Shelby de Mexico replica I think would be very tough, lots of custom work to be done on the sail panels and I wouldn't even know where to start on trying to replicate the hood.

Yes you are correct. I am building based on the 68 green hornet. The only thing I'm not going to be able to replicate is the hood as far as I know. Here are a couple pics of what I'm going to do.

green_hornet_01.jpg

green_hornet_02.sized.jpg

green_hornet_01?full=1

ok, first of all this car is the 67 version called Lil' Red. here is some info on the actual Green Hornet EXP500.

http://www.exp500.com/about.html

and a link to the pics page

http://www.exp500.com/gallery.html

my opinion is that you should build a 69 version of these 2 cars in the same way these were built with all the shelby parts and pieces. i'd use all the correct 69 shelby 'glass, interior bits and even the correct intake manifold. it would be cool to build it with the independant rear suspension like the Green Hornet too! Lil' Red had a paxton supercharger on it at one point, so integrating a paxton to your prototype would be cool too

if you really want to make it like a real shelby prototype add some period aftermarket bits like the Conelec fuel injection that was used on the Green Hornet and 2 of the actual 69 shelby prototypes, GT350 and a GT500. the GT350 also had a prototype dash concept as well in that it used a 69 cougar XR7 dash with full instrumentation along with the only 351 Cleveland ever put into a 69 mustang at the "factory" (so to speak) it originally had a windsor like all other GT350's but they wanted to try out the 351c for possible use in the 70 models (as well as the cougar dash) but since shelby production ended in 69 the project was cancelled. all the 70 shelby cars are actually left over 69's that have been "re-VIN'd" with 70 model VINs. of course there is also the one and only 69 shelby Boss 302 prototype as well.

if you really want it to be unique build a 302 Clevor (302 with 351c heads) for a faux Boss 302, add the conelec fuel injection (or something that mimics it) or an inline Autolite carb, Cougar dash, shelby wheels and 'glass, shelby console and a shelby style roll bar with inertia reel 4 point harnesses. Add that way cool IRS from the Green Hornet and a paxton like Lil' red had and that would be one far out ride man.

Making a Shelby de Mexico replica I think would be very tough, lots of custom work to be done on the sail panels and I wouldn't even know where to start on trying to replicate the hood.

well pak, the good thing about the shelby de mexico is you don't need the custom hood because:

The 1969 Shelby de Mexicos featured a number of distinctions. Three different hoods were available. There was the standard GT hood, the scooped hood (like that shown on Carlos Henkel's car in the accompanying article) and the shark gill hood, shown.
another interesting fact:
Several other distinctions with the '69s were apparent. As sales fluctuated, Shelby de Mexico's could be ordered with certain features deleted. Shown

is this example of a 1969 recently found in the province of Naucalpan. It features standard taillights!

image020.jpg

so basically, the most important thing is the sail panels and a bunch of shelby decals :biggrin:

now i'm not planing to build a replica, but i'm thinking about adding some shelby de mexico style sail panels on my hardtop, just because i happen to know a guy who can replicate them for me. :whistling:

Yeah I've often thought that the sails panel would sell well on the aftermarket with all the coupes running around with sportroof envy, in fact I'm pretty sure I've talked about it on here more than once.

I'd love to see pics of all the hood options if you have them, especially what the shark gill one looks like.

sportsroof envy? they may look cool, but suck if you have to load or unload the trunk. :tongue_smilie:

the sail panels don't make the lid smaller :biggrin:

besides they give the stang a dodge charger look ;-)

b444_charger_rt440.jpg

i'll check if i have some closeups of the hood tomorrow

Thanks bnickel.

I didn't realize that there were two different cars made. I just happen to find the pics I posted and thought it would be cool to do since I always loved the shelbys but can't afford a fastback. Those pics make me want to do a similiar build even more.

I know the hornet was based on a 68. It won't be an exact replica. I'm not trying to spend every last dime to make an exact replica. I just thought it would be cool to make a shelby coupe since they didn't make one. If I could afford to make a replica I would have even bought a fastback but this is what I got to work with. My favorite car ia a 67-68 GT500. Thanks

Edited by 69shelbycoupe

Thanks bnickel.

I didn't realize that there were two different cars made. I just happen to find the pics I posted and thought it would be cool to do since I always loved the shelbys but can't afford a fastback. Those pics make me want to do a similiar build even more.

I know the hornet was based on a 68. It won't be an exact replica. I'm not trying to spend every last dime to make an exact replica. I just thought it would be cool to make a shelby coupe since they didn't make one. If I could afford to make a replica I would have even bought a fastback but this is what I got to work with. My favorite car ia a 67-68 GT500. Thanks

so are you going to use the stock front sheetmetal or are you planning on using the 69/70 shelby 'glass bits up front as well as the decklid and side scoops? my 69 coupe has the side scoops and it had always been my plan to use a shelby style decklid and end caps with the the little ducktail spoiler but at the time i painted the car i couldn't afford the decklid so it's just got the side scoops.

since my 69 mustang GT is for sale i'll be building up a 69 cougar to the specs of the stillborn 69 cougar GT, possibly with the new 'glass decklid with ducktail spoiler that came on the market for the cougars a couple years ago. i'm also planning to sort of a "Day 2" style buildup on it with some period correct speed parts and modifications but i'm going to take it a step further and build this car like i would have ordered it new and started modifying it as soon as i got it home from the dealership and kept on modifying it a little at a time all the way until the present day.

i currently have a TCP rack and pinion, subframe connectors, late 70's/early 80's style Riken mesh wheels (a very similar style wheel was also used on the 68 cougar XR7-G until problems forced a recall of them), 86 mustang GT bucket seat that will be recovered in a stock upholstery pattern with blue and black houndstooth inserts, i have a few different 60's and 70's electronic ignition systems to choose from but will probably end up using the Stinger system i have for it or a 60's ford transistor ignition system i have, i have a 1958 only 1.19 venturi autolite 4100 and a few articles on how to modify the 4100 for improved performance, i have a 69 Ford Muscle Parts aluminum hi-rise intake, an original over the counter style Speed-O-Stat cruise control, several original but fairly obscure ford options like rear window defogger, headlights on warning buzzer, etc i also have an original tach dash for the cougar, power trunk release kit, tilt column, leather wrapped cobra II style steering wheel with XR7 horn button emblem from a mid 70's cougar, vintage Hone-O-Drive overdrive as well among many other things i've been collecting over the years.

other things i'm planning on but haven't got yet are power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, shelby style rollbar with 4 point harnesses, eliminator style hoodscoop, the afore-metioned decklid with spoiler, complete custom Opentracker style roller front suspension with coilover shocks, TCP G-Bar rear coilover suspension, possibly a trunklid mounted luggage rack if i decide against the decklid with spoiler, custom 69 Mach 1 style front carpet in black with custom blue inserts, custom door panels that combine the 69 mustang deluxe door panels with the 69 cougar interior decor deluxe (non XR7) door panels...i never have been able to figure out why the mustang got a molded door panel and the more luxurious, more upper end cougar didn't so i'm going to make my own. and then there's the balanced and blueprinted 351w with long rods (from a 400m and custom Keith Black pistons), roller cam and aluminum heads with as many internal coatings as i can afford. this will be the biggest investment of course and for now the stock H-code 351w will suffice after i have that intake and carb installed and maybe a slightly better cam too.

I plan on doing the 69 shelby scoops, decklid with end caps, fenders and probably some sort of scoop to resemble the 68 hood. I don't like the 69-79 shelby hood. I have all of the interior. It is black. I am unsure what color it will be painted. I have several motors but am unsure what to put in it. I have a 351w 351c and a 347 stroker that I'm pulling out of my 94gt. If possible I'm selling my 94gt as a roller for $1500 with extras. I have alot of cleveland parts I am selling as well. I need to post them in the classifieds. It is going to be a long project but in the end it will be pretty cool I think. Your cougar build sounds cool too.

well just so you'll know, in order to use the shelby fenders you'll also have to use the hood because the fenders and the hood are both stretched a little over the what the standard mustang fenders length is. however, just because you have to use the shelby hood doesn't mean you can't modify it though. you can get the 67 shleby style hoodscoop as a seperate item from a few different places now, i think, so you could add the 67 scoop onto the 69 shelby hood and do away with the stock ducts on the 69 hood if you wanted. also, i think Mustangs Unlimited has a complete shelby 'glass body kit that has all of the shelby 'glass parts at a decent savings over buying them individually.

The name "Green Hornet" was derived from a character from the Bill Cosby "Fat Albert" cartoon series.

Man guys, now we have to call it...

"THE GREEN HOR-NET! HOR-NET! HOR-NET!"

Sound like an awesome project, but be prepared to refer to it in such a manner.

If the original project came from the Fat Albert cartoon-the intro to "The Brown Hornet" always was at maximum decibels, complete with echo.

I hope that helps. Wait until the end, you'll see what I mean. @ 5:34.

Naturally, you'll escape unharmed!

sportsroof envy? they may look cool, but suck if you have to load or unload the trunk. :tongue_smilie:

the sail panels don't make the lid smaller :biggrin:

besides they give the stang a dodge charger look ;-)

b444_charger_rt440.jpg

i'll check if i have some closeups of the hood tomorrow

Yeah, I made this same observation regarding a FB with vinyl top a while back..

Yeah the line from the rear quarter view begins to look like a 68 Dodge Charger with vinyl top. Cool car as well, but a much longer, larger, different car. On the 69-70 that is.

I'm not a fan of those mexican made sail panels on those coupes

ya know i'm really not either.....that's why i was suggesting going the "prototype" coupe route. the mexican Shelby's are cool cars, don't get me wrong, but they aren't so cool that i'd want to make an exact clone of one either.