Sign in to follow this  
trfcrugby

69 Coupe not turning over

I just finished installing a 351c 4V in my coupe from a donor Cougar. The motor was running in the Cougar before I pulled it.

Dropped it into my car, and just completed making all of the connections this afternoon. I don't have the new ignition installed yet, so we attempted to turn it over by jumping the hot terminal and the S post on the starter relay, and nothing happened. I took a length of wire, and jumped straight to the starter side of the relay, and the motor turned over just fine.

This relay was brand new out of the box, but I figured it might have been bad, so I tried two other older relays I had. The odds are really against all three relays being bad.

Is there anything else I can check that would prevent the relay from working when the posts are jumped?

I have it wired with the red/blue on the S post, and the brown wire on the I post, hot wire from battery is on the foward post by the S, and the starter is on the opposite side.

Any suggestions?

I've had four Fords with the same relay...they were all wired differently. The newer 3 were late 80's-early 90's and they used both the S and I terminals. From what I remember, the 69 only used one.