Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

Cash for clunkers, found some very interesting info

It's scarry isn't it?

My gut feeling: They recycled the same disclaimer/agreement that they use for another piece of federal software.

Interesting side note: In Canada we actually have laws about storing data in the US. Canadians are not allowed to collect and store personal information (say you run an online business) on a computer that is located in the US. All because of the US's crazy laws. Your government has access to all data stored on US soil, and does not need to notify or obtain permission to access it. To take it a step further, we cannot allow anyone in the US to access that data (say you call tech support for help, you cannot allow them to connect to your computer) while on US soil (we can bring an american to Canada to do the work). Kinda makes things difficult, but I understand the need after seeing things like the disclaimer in that video.

I'm worried they're going to come take my car legally, and I wont be able to leave my house w/o asking Uncle Sam if it's ok. I don't know about you guys but I don't like the look of things the past couple years. I was going to save some money up, but I might splurge and go buy a power package for my 69. Heads, cam, intake, rockers, see how close I can get the old girl to 500 crank hp.

Denmark and many European countries are the same as Canada. The US Justice Department (can they still call themselves that?) & DoD forgot all about Constitution, UN Conventions, Geneva Convention and what not under Bush. Seems to be difficult to stop.

It's scarry isn't it?

My gut feeling: They recycled the same disclaimer/agreement that they use for another piece of federal software.

Interesting side note: In Canada we actually have laws about storing data in the US. Canadians are not allowed to collect and store personal information (say you run an online business) on a computer that is located in the US. All because of the US's crazy laws. Your government has access to all data stored on US soil, and does not need to notify or obtain permission to access it. To take it a step further, we cannot allow anyone in the US to access that data (say you call tech support for help, you cannot allow them to connect to your computer) while on US soil (we can bring an american to Canada to do the work). Kinda makes things difficult, but I understand the need after seeing things like the disclaimer in that video.

Denmark and many European countries are the same as Canada. The US Justice Department (can they still call themselves that?) & DoD forgot all about Constitution, UN Conventions, Geneva Convention and what not under Bush. Seems to be difficult to stop.

Yeah we really do seem to ignore the constitution now don't we.

OMG, you guys are actually listening to Glenn Beck?!?!?!??!?! If he had anything to say worth hearing he wouldn't be doing it on "FOX" news. You might as well get political advice from Bin Laden, it wouldn't be any less one sided or made up of half lies and bent truths. Obama is a politician not a god and as such he's human and makes mistakes. How is it that everyone seems to suddenly forget he inherited the state our contry is in, he didn't create it. We all get to thank the worlds 2 biggest republican assholes of all time for that, Bush and Chenney. They sit back on thier cash and laugh instead of spending life in prison like they should and everyone holds the innocent new guy responsible, I guess that truly is the American way though. After all he has 3/4 of a year now to wave the magic wand and make it all disappear like a bad dream, it is that easy isn't it?

Just think for a second about what the alternative would have been, another old as hell white ass republican who would probably not live thru his first term and we would be left with a new madam president that would probably want to move the white house to Alaska just so she can keep an eye on Russia.

Where would Beck be on the CNN (Clinton News Network) thats the most biased show going!! hell everybody knows the housing markets fall ( people in over there freaakin heads) started the end of hell of a run, The dems have had control for the last four years of the Bush / Chenney mess in congress. So your right Obama now has the mess to run with, that his corupt buddies did to all of us!!!. From where I'm sitting ( 50 yrd line, TX) I'd say theres a lot of people out of work that voted for him because he guaranteed them he was the 1 and only that would work the hardest ( fix this stuff) and not raise taxs on the mid class. Pak, when that happens ( raising tax on the mid class), are you still going to be a patient as your are now??? Bad dream, look at CA and Mich, both DEM states for as long as this old man can remember. Those guys just keep voting for the same people that take every thing they got and keep coming back for more. I figure if the 1 gets his way, the USofA will be broker than a 3rd world country and he will actually be right on one thing, all those countries pissed or jealous over us will finally be happy we are broker than their ass's. I trully hope your right, but he aint stuck to one thing he stated yet, unless he gets it right after 2 or 3 times of changing his mind or views ( depending on how much pressuere he can deal with) at least we new where King George stood all the time. God help us all baby!

OMG, you guys are actually listening to Glenn Beck?!?!?!??!?! If he had anything to say worth hearing he wouldn't be doing it on "FOX" news. You might as well get political advice from Bin Laden, it wouldn't be any less one sided or made up of half lies and bent truths. Obama is a politician not a god and as such he's human and makes mistakes. How is it that everyone seems to suddenly forget he inherited the state our contry is in, he didn't create it. We all get to thank the worlds 2 biggest republican assholes of all time for that, Bush and Chenney. They sit back on thier cash and laugh instead of spending life in prison like they should and everyone holds the innocent new guy responsible, I guess that truly is the American way though. After all he has 3/4 of a year now to wave the magic wand and make it all disappear like a bad dream, it is that easy isn't it?

Just think for a second about what the alternative would have been, another old as hell white ass republican who would probably not live thru his first term and we would be left with a new madam president that would probably want to move the white house to Alaska just so she can keep an eye on Russia.

No one is really talking trash on Obama he's not the only one who let this plan go through, it's more that over the past few years or more (some time when Obama wasn't president) we have been ignoring the constitution and this country has been going down the tubes. But if we are going to talk about Obama, I was a supporter, I won't lie about that, but so far I am unimpressed.

You're right about that, I guess it was more reese's comment that got me started before reading the rest, I've seen him coyly slam Obama in several threads now and stand by his texan brother and I just think it's a blind shame.

Legion's youtube post I think sums up all I need to say. I'm not saying I am overwhelmed with Obama either but not one president in history or any politician for that matter has ever been able to deliver on all thier promises much less instantly. The choices were basic, more of the same or some kind of change (wether it turns out good or bad or mixed), 4 years was enough for me much less 8 so the choice was simple, there was none.

As for the original concern, I don't know how many of you have ever read the entire agreement disclaimer of anything you ever signed up for prior to clicking the little I agree button but no matter what it is it almost always strips you of any kind of right you think you had and acts as simply a protection clause for the people making the offer, in this world of sueing anyone and everyone for things as stupid as burninng yourself on a cup of coffee that is too hot who can not afford to protect themselves to the enth degree on every level possible. This whole issue affects Dealerships to make sure nothing crooked is being pulled on this offer, not the people themselves. It's not saying that now the door is open and we can invade your privacy at will, it's saying we reserve the right so if someone does try an illegal scam with this they can prosecute without worrying about some slimey ass squeezing thru a loop hole. Anyone looking for some kind of free ride by trading their shitbox in for $4500 without a single hitch is dreaming, what world do these people live in? They cry for some type of relief then bitch and moan about what they get. Personally if I throw a hungry dog a fricken bone I don't want to hear if he thinks it tastes good or not.

"You're right about that, I guess it was more reese's comment that got me started before reading the rest, I've seen him coyly slam Obama in several threads now and stand by his texan brother and I just think it's a blind shame."

Change is what you wanted, change from our $ is all we will get in return, if were lucky. Look at the election, TX was one of the few states that got the election right, we saw the true colors of the anoited one, starting with his church. Blind??? We live in a state that flat as hell, LOL and we can see for miles and there something stiring on the horizon, not to mention we have a ton of uhauls from CA and Mich, stacking up daily, that they are paying xtra just to get them returned to those states so more can board up and leave. You'd think a hurricane was on its way.

Read the tea leaves.

As for coyly slam Obama, at least you know where I stand! That doesn't mean I want him to fail. I just don't want to lose every right you and I have now. Hell I'd like to sit down and drink a cold one with the man. I won't studder and I don't need a teleprompter to discuss the issues that are changing in this country.

Pak, you got the right to ban me anytime you want, but I don't think its going to change the out come!

I wouldn't ban you for your opinion Reese but I may close the thread down to avoid any potential ugliness. As a mod I guess I'll just have to discontinue this conversation because I don't think you will like what I have to say next at all even though I would just be speaking open and honestly about my opinion and not trying to insult you in way at all.

Hey, I love this site and the fact people can add there opinions! I to will stop, as usuall I can get over the top from time to time. I am sorry for any rudeness I may have displayed, I just want ever walk a way from a tussle! LOL.

Yep - political threads have been killing many forums lately. If anything the county is even more split than ever. Many forums have created a political thread area just so posters can vent. I personally see no need for it here - people can get pissy and though you can forgive you never forget. I tend to lean to the right so I would not be the best person to speak to about our current adminstration - I would take the old guy and crazy bitch over what we have now though my 1st choice was always Romney... However, I recognize the past couple administrations haven't been all that great either.

As to the clunkers deal - IMO - what a waste. Taxpayers paying for others to purchase cars. As to them taking away our cars - seriously doubt it. That's just political spin that comes from both sides of the aisle.

Funniest part of this whole thread - Pak's "innocent new guy" statement...... Snot came out my nose I snorted so bad.

My grandfather had many sayings.... two I really loved....

Don't quit a job or girlfriend until you have another....

and the political one...

There are two butt cheeks to every backside - pick one but dont be the ahole in the middle.

Edited by coz

Back OT-That system was obviously designed by the same people who paid $1B for, aparantly, 22782 Used cars. What gets me is that they throw these things in WHOLE. So all of us who have been in the Used Parts market are royally screwed.

And what kind of logic does this system use? You get (up to) $4500 off of the sticker price of a new car....I went to the Local Ford dealer (natch) and the Explorer Sport Trak they were pushing had a sticker of $33K. Even if you scored up every 'bonus' they have in the books, you're looking at about $24000. Add in interest and you're probably paying $60K to 'get rid of that old clunker'. Doesn't NOT having a car payment for 7 years make up for a lot of gas and parts? (I base this on calcs I made when purchasing a F-150 that had $12000 to finance....7 years at $485/month. added up to about $49K-once you add in the $5K deposit and $1K trade in. Are we really that bad at math?)

Anybody tried the CARS route? A buddy who is looking for a Tacoma said they were around 29k in late June for a 2009 TRD, now they are going for 32k for the same vehicle. He's called all over the place - same story... Seems they are jacking up prices to bandwagon the people buying based on the program.