Sign in to follow this  
tim42

Roof rail install

I'm cleaning up some roof rails and getting ready to put them on. Of course it is one sticky mess cleaning out the rubber, the foam and stuff on the top side. I have new rubber weather stripping but what do you do about the foam stuff on the top? Is it necessary to have something there? To my knowledge there isn't anything available for this purpose. Anyone done this?

Tim42

I'm cleaning up some roof rails and getting ready to put them on. Of course it is one sticky mess cleaning out the rubber, the foam and stuff on the top side. I have new rubber weather stripping but what do you do about the foam stuff on the top? Is it necessary to have something there? To my knowledge there isn't anything available for this purpose. Anyone done this?

Tim42

Tim, I'm going to be putting mine back in after the car gets back from the paint shop, so I've been on a Google search on this topic for about the last 20 minutes. From what I gather, you want a closed-cell foam about 3/4" to 1" wide and about 1/8" thick... peel & stick (self-adhesive).

I saw someone on the VMF post a link to CJ Pony Parts, so I'll re-post it here:

LINK

You should be able to find something workable locally though, at Lowes / Home Depot etc.

Try CJ Pony or Laurel Mountain. They sell the correct width in a 14' roll, which is enough for both sides. It's sticky on one side only, I wouldn't want to try putting it on with two sided tape. You'll need to align the screw holes and the tabs as you go. The 7' is long enough for the stainless strip but I wish it would have been about 12" longer so it would have come under the quarter window all the way out to the door opening. By the way, lacquer thinner works perfect for cleaning off the old residue from the stainless.