Sign in to follow this  
Len69Coupe

Coupe Quarter Window Trim Question

I'm trying to figure out if the quarter windows on a 69 Coupe should have the chrome strip on the front where it meets the door window. Mine doesn't and I have seen others that don't as well, but the parts breakdown I have shows it does. I do have the strips on the rear of the door glass.

Thanks for the help!

I have the same question, I don't know if the strips go in both windows, or just the quarter, my stang has in one side, in both windows, but in the other there's just in the quarter window.

You should definitely have chrome strips (with weather stripping) on the back of each door glass. It's the quarter windows that I can't figure out. You say you have 1 quarter window that has a chrome strip? And one without?

Is the 70 coupe different? Mine has nothing on the back of the door glass but it has a chrome/rubber strip on the front of the quarter windows.

I'm not sure, it sure is confusing though. I wish one of the experts would weigh in here and straighten this out for us, lol! :surrender:

69 and 70 are different, thus the confusion. For 1969 with a glue in window the stainless weatherstrips are on the door glass. When they made the change over to bolt in windows in 1970 they moved the strip to the rear quarter windows. Over the years many folks have put bolt in glass into their 69's so it's not uncommon to see a 69' with a strip on the rear qtr instead or possibly even someone who went overkill and has both but I would think you would have trouble keeping things lined up that way, one is all you need and only one way is correct for each year but either works fine.

Pak's right, they're just as he described. But, according to Mustang Monthly, you can remove the front weatherstrip from your 69 and attach to the 70 glass and get the "correct" look. Otherwise you need to get all 4 windows when you do the swap, not just the fronts. The 70 regulators are also different (they have a small offset bend) but everything I've read says the 69 regulators work fine with the 70 glass, even without the little bend.

I have both sets of glass and will be deciding soon which I'm gonna install (I'm a bit of a purist so I'm leaning toward the glue-ins) and I will try to post some side-by-side pictures soon that maybe we can use as a visual aid whenever this popular topic comes up....