Sign in to follow this  
m3rol

3 Point seatbelt installation help

:biggrin: hi !

First, thank you for all the replys I've had in my other thread, your info was very useful, i'm tracking the connector I need.

Well, now I have another favor to ask to you all, I bought a pair of 3 point seat belts from mustangsunlimited, and I'm about to install them, I know that the 69 has the factory holes for the third point of the seatbelt, but when i bought my stang the headliner was already installed, so i cant check very well where is the factory hole without ripping or unglueing ( is this a word ??:blink: ) the headliner, so, if anyone of you all have a coupe parting out or restoring without the headliner installed, can you post a pic of the factory hole??

thnx

Here is a photo of where I believe it goes. It should mount directly behind the coat hook in the picture. Mine doesn't have them, so I can't be sure, but someone should be along to verify. If you need more photos just let me know, my headliner is not installed.

Edited by LFugate
spelling

How did the install of the 3 point harness go? I'm interested in the same thing. I have a set of 3 point racing harnesses but really want to keep the somewhat stock interior appearance I have now.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Jon

Poway, Ca

69 Mach 1 351W 4V 5spd

Lafugate's picture is excellent and should help you immensely. However, it's quite another thing entirely to make that first slice to your headliner, so I would use his picture as a frame of reference, then trust your finger. Poke along until you find the threaded hole. Stay with it until you find it exactly as it'll take some time to get your bearings. Then make a nice easy cut with your x-acto knife and you're good to go. It'll be great.

Tom

I just did the swap from the original lap/shoulder harness spider web to the retractable 3-point. I think it is one of my favorite mods to date. I feel more comfortable and safer in the car than ever before!

When it comes to locating a hole in any type of upholstery job a good tip is to actually put a bolt into the hole first then install the material over it. The head sticking up will be far easier to find than the hole and you simply tap down on it with a hammer and the bolt head will xray thru showing you exactly where to cut away without error each time, just FYI.

I used the kit from CJ Pony parts, but I think they are all pretty similar. As for pics, I am out of the country traveling for work in Indonesia at the moment. I can supply pics when I return home around the 1-3rd of October.

Here is a photo of where I believe it goes. It should mount directly behind the coat hook in the picture. Mine doesn't have them, so I can't be sure, but someone should be along to verify. If you need more photos just let me know, my headliner is not installed.

Hey LFugate, does that hole exist on 69 coupes, or is it just fastbacks that have it?

Hey LFugate, does that hole exist on 69 coupes, or is it just fastbacks that have it?

Coupes have the same mounting point for a seat belt as fastbacks. The exact position may be off due to the curve the roof line. Mind you it's a picture of a coupe he's showing

Edited by 69RestoRod

yes, coupes have them and I installed the ssnake-oyl 3 point non retracting belt. I love them. You do feel safer. I did have to drill out the hold down plate slightly as the bolt was just a hair larger than the hole in the plates. I would have gone with retracting but they were 2X the price and I read somewhere that the retracting mechanism is bulkly and gets in the way of getting in or out. Not sure if true, but you may want to check into it. They also sell an installation kit if you need the hardware. I used existing bolts in the car.

Jim,

I thought I had replied and posted, but I guess not. I am extremely happy with mine still. It took less than an hour to install and I definitely feel safer with them installed vs. the stock belts. I am in Denton right now, but will be home for the day on Sunday. Maybe I can take some pics then.

I would install them again, no question for my purposes.