Sign in to follow this  
Paperboy1

battery cables hot-smoking

After 18 years I finally finished the car enough to get it inspected!

When I got to the station 4 miles away it wouldnt start so they used

their jumper box to start, I pulled the cables and they were warm the guy dumped the clutch and it wouldnt start the positive cable pulled out of the lead post on the battery! I pushed it out of the way and made the cable work, I jumped it with my sons truck with a screw-driver to the solonoid started -pulled cables walked around to get in and the car and it died. THE KEY WAS OFF THE WHOLE TIME- when it was running. got back out reapplied the cables with key on this time! It wouldnt start the cables started smoking so I had the guys at the shop push start it to get it home. After an hour of sitting it started right up so I turned it off and tried again all it did was a low spin like the battery was down.

So this morning it started up but the starter stayed running and the off position of the key didnt work so I popped the clutch to kill it.

I found two wires on the drivers side burned by the headers, the wires go to the blinker area one is white with a blue stripe the other is green with a white stripe. Where does these two wires connect under the dash???

will this fix the starting problem or should I replace the starter solonoid?

Thanks Marty

When a battery is too low/dead to start the engine, often there is a very large amount of current. That current will often cause the cables to get hot.

Your 2nd problem, is related to your 1st.. I think your starter solenoid is failing.

I'd reccomend you do the following:

- Replace battery cables.

- Replace starter solenoid

- Replace battery or if battery is new, make sure it is well charged.

Then give it another try. I think you had a low battery which caused a bunch of other problems after repeated attempts to start the car.

The first thing to do is get all your wires hooked up and not shorting, until you know what the burnt and shorted ones are for you can't say what the problem is.

Hot battery cables mean one of two things, a bad or too small battery cable or drawing too many amps, so replace the bad cable and check what it's drawing.

Thanks for the responses!!! I changed the starter solenoid car starts and stops but after it warms up it wont start. Yesterday I found a three prong connection unplugged between the alternator and the voltage regulator plugged it back in charged battery.But my big marine battery is shot from not using it, I borrowed a battery but after looking at it closer this morning I believe it may be to small-

540ca 450 cold plus its 41/2-5 years old.

As for the burnt wires I believe they are extras every thing on the front end works

I will pull a 700ca battery out of the truck and try it tommorrow.