Sign in to follow this  
Len69Coupe

Help Identifying Part!

Yes, it's a backup light switch for a 3-speed manual tranny. It mounts on tail of the tranny, along with the shifter, The other end snakes up the trans tunnel and plugs into the 4-prong connector in the middle of the firewall.The shifter presses the button when it's in reverse, lighting the backup lights. I'm gonna guess a PO just hung it in the engine compartment while during some tranny work and never put it back.

Hang on to it, as they don't reproduce it! I looked forever for one and finally had to repair mine. I will take some pictures of mine tonight or tomorrow if you want to see one properly installed.

Thanks for all the replies!

69RavenConv, a picture would be great if it's not too much trouble. I plan to attempt a reinstall once I'm 100% sure where it mounts. I may have to do a little refurb on it because the shaft sticking out may be stuck, or I didn't push it in hard enough since I wasn't sure what it went to. I'll give it another try.

No problem - it's not a great picture but I think you get the idea. It's really pretty simple because there's really only one way you can attach it when you look at the way the shifter attaches and the reverse lever. It goes on the back-most of the 3 bolts holding the shifter on.

BTW, you can disassemble these and fix them up if it is not too badly corroded. I did mine then sealed it up with some clear silicone.

Edited by 69RavenConv

I had found mine wrapped around the master cylinder, I guess the previous owner burnt thru the wires with the headers and thankfully left it behind as I had to rebuild mine as well. At the time I struggled on how to connect it as well and finally found a diagram of a 3speed. If you look in the bubble to the right you'll see a small comment about the bolt used to secure it, that's it. Basically it works like the light in the fridge does, wicked simplistic in function. If yours is dead or does not work and can't be fixed at all you can try to remove just the bracket and replace it with a standard borg warner switch. I bought one and didn't need it so I still have it in my parts box.

3spdTransmission.jpg

Sure, and here is an old pic I found of the universal Borg switch for reference. So long as the bracket is salvagable (or you can duplicate it exactly) then this would also work fine.

BorgWarnerB_Uswitch.sized.jpg