Sign in to follow this  
69GT

Breaking shocks?

I have a rather strange problem. About a week ago my passenger side shock broke at the base where it bolts into the upper control arm. I took it off to replace it and it looked like part of the flange where it branches out into 2 studs to bolt into the control arm got stressed, bent, and finally broke leaving only 1 of the 2 bolts holding the shock to the control arm.

I just drove back from Santa Cruz today and its making that same rattling noise it was making when it broke the first shock. (haven't climbed under to check yet but I think that's the problem) I replaced both front shocks about a week ago. What could be causing it to destroy shocks? When I put the new ones on I didn't notice anything strange or broken and I tightened them up when the full weight of the car was on them. Could it be a problem with the spring perches?

I know the front has been lowered but it was like that when I got it. I was thinking it may be the spring perches. Guess its time to dish out some cash for the roller perches?

I know the front has been lowered but it was like that when I got it. I was thinking it may be the spring perches. Guess its time to dish out some cash for the roller perches?

i agree, it sounds exactly like you have some frozen spring perches. definitely time to give John at opentracker some cash and you won't believe the difference it makes in how well the car handles bumps and such now, the whole front suspension just smooths way out and the front suspension can actually do it's respective jobs. the springs can absorb the bumps, dips and abnormalities in the road much better and the shocks are more effective at smoothing that ride out. not to mention that the car wil corner better now too since the suspension is actually working effectively and the springs, shocks, perches and control arms are no longer fighting each other.

BTW, i think Opentracker might still have a discount for forum members, you might ask him about it anyway.

I agree! Get Roller Perches!

In theory, you think... well how much better could it possibly be?

I haven't even driven my car yet, and just by installing them and seeing how they function vs. how the stock rubber ones work (or don't, as mine were frozen in place), i can say it's well worth the money!

I agree! Get Roller Perches!

In theory, you think... well how much better could it possibly be?

I haven't even driven my car yet, and just by installing them and seeing how they function vs. how the stock rubber ones work (or don't, as mine were frozen in place), i can say it's well worth the money!

your originals weren't frozen, they were built that way. they use vulcanized rubber on the shaft and bushing shells and are pretty much premanently fixed in the position they were originally made. however over the years the bushing shell will start to slip in the perch or even start to slide out of the perch completely if they are inferior aftermarket perches.

Well, roller perches it is then I guess. I stopped by the local mustang parts guy and he has them in stock for $199 for the pair. Just have to get a day off to change it all out.

your originals weren't frozen, they were built that way. they use vulcanized rubber on the shaft and bushing shells and are pretty much premanently fixed in the position they were originally made. however over the years the bushing shell will start to slip in the perch or even start to slide out of the perch completely if they are inferior aftermarket perches.

Two posts down you say "I agree, it sounds exactly like you have some frozen spring perches."

Then you say mine weren't frozen, they were built that way???

Two posts down you say "I agree, it sounds exactly like you have some frozen spring perches."

Then you say mine weren't frozen, they were built that way???

well, they can slip and get stuck in the wrong position. the factory ones might as well be frozen, though, is what i was trying to get across.

Just thought I'd leave an update. Installed the new spring perches and so far no broken shocks! I can definitely feel a difference from the old ones. The car feels, I guess you could say more solid and takes turns much better.

Just thought I'd leave an update. Installed the new spring perches and so far no broken shocks! I can definitely feel a difference from the old ones. The car feels, I guess you could say more solid and takes turns much better.

it's almost amazing how much better the car feels after you install them isn't it?