Sign in to follow this  
kweston

Finding grandpas car...

ok guys, heres a real task to see how far technology has come.

My great grandpa had a 1967 red 390 coupe. Needless to say it ment the world to my mom, who was 15 at the time. Well, her brother sold it to a man for 1200 dollars a week before she turned 16. Now the grandfather and the car has passed. Hearing all the stories she has about riding in that coupe with him, I was wondering if there's any possible way to track it...being that its mothers day...my wheels were just turning knowing how much he (and the car) ment to her.

She knows the dealership it was bought from, the man who owned it (her grandpas name), and the man who bought it from her brother.

Is there any kind of database from dealerships or resources to further investigate? or is this just done better buy word of mouth around town?

ok guys, heres a real task to see how far technology has come.

My great grandpa had a 1967 red 390 coupe. Needless to say it ment the world to my mom, who was 15 at the time. Well, her brother sold it to a man for 1200 dollars a week before she turned 16. Now the grandfather and the car has passed. Hearing all the stories she has about riding in that coupe with him, I was wondering if there's any possible way to track it...being that its mothers day...my wheels were just turning knowing how much he (and the car) ment to her.

She knows the dealership it was bought from, the man who owned it (her grandpas name), and the man who bought it from her brother.

Is there any kind of database from dealerships or resources to further investigate? or is this just done better buy word of mouth around town?

There isn't a database out there for this kind of thing.

Do you have a VIN number for the car? Running a carfax might tell you something usefull like if it's been sold recently or totalled. Thats just a guess, I have absolutley no idea what carfax would do on a car that old, or if they even tracked it.

But I'd start with Craigslist and a phone book. Try and find the guy it was sold to first. Then post ads on craigslist to see if anyone knows him, or has seen the car. Keep in mind, there is a good chance the car has been repainted a time or two, and might not be red.

If I were you, I'd just try to find a similar car, and paint it the color she remembers and just make it as close as possible. She'd appreciate it even if it isn't "his"

Heck, any red '67 Coupe would likely be good enough, your mom doesn't need a 390 to sit in the car and feel nostalgic about her grandfather.

There isn't a database out there for this kind of thing.

Do you have a VIN number for the car? Running a carfax might tell you something usefull like if it's been sold recently or totalled. Thats just a guess, I have absolutley no idea what carfax would do on a car that old, or if they even tracked it.

But I'd start with Craigslist and a phone book. Try and find the guy it was sold to first. Then post ads on craigslist to see if anyone knows him, or has seen the car. Keep in mind, there is a good chance the car has been repainted a time or two, and might not be red.

If I were you, I'd just try to find a similar car, and paint it the color she remembers and just make it as close as possible. She'd appreciate it even if it isn't "his"

Heck, any red '67 Coupe would likely be good enough, your mom doesn't need a 390 to sit in the car and feel nostalgic about her grandfather.

You need to locate the local vehickle registration and ask that question. It might take roses or lunch, but they should have records or point you to who they know that can assist you. I got a local lady to help me with a phone number that stated the ball rolling.

Good luck.

You need to locate the local vehickle registration and ask that question. It might take roses or lunch, but they should have records or point you to who they know that can assist you. I got a local lady to help me with a phone number that stated the ball rolling.

Good luck.

It would be tough enough to find even with a VIN number, without one is really hard. You basically have to start with tracking down the guy uncle sold it to and work on from there hoping the trail hasn't gone cold. I've bought and sold several cars over the past 20 years and I may have some old bill of sales lying around but without them I sure couldn't tell you who I sold what to by memory so you can imagine what it is like from 40 years ago. Cars move around alot to, I found my California car in Missouri and that was only the second owner and within the first 7 years of ownership I registered it in 3 different states and one wasn't even neighboring, it was half way across the country again.

Good luck.

It would be tough enough to find even with a VIN number, without one is really hard. You basically have to start with tracking down the guy uncle sold it to and work on from there hoping the trail hasn't gone cold. I've bought and sold several cars over the past 20 years and I may have some old bill of sales lying around but without them I sure couldn't tell you who I sold what to by memory so you can imagine what it is like from 40 years ago. Cars move around alot to, I found my California car in Missouri and that was only the second owner and within the first 7 years of ownership I registered it in 3 different states and one wasn't even neighboring, it was half way across the country again.

Good luck.