Sign in to follow this  
TheMenace

My 69 Fastback Restomod progress

Here is the not so interesting background.

I bought this back in 2002. There was a lot of metal work needed. The car was stripped of everything and all (at the time) rusted metal replaced, body work done and car was primed. The car was ready for paint but due to the passing of my father at the time, I put the car on hold.

A few years pass and I started working on the car again. Over the years of sitting around the body took a decent blow and needs so dents and scratches taken out here and there. Some of the metal has surface rust on it which I will sand back down and see if I need to go any further into it.

Now the fun part. Here are some pics of where I am at today with the car.

Steering_Wheel.sized.jpg

I installed Autometer Speedo/Tach/Fuel/Oil Pressure gauges in the original cluster. If you look closely you can see 3 LEDs on the cluster also. The 2 on the outside are green for the turn signals and the 1 in the middle is blue for the bright indicator. I have the Shelby gauge pod for the console and mounted Volts/Water Temp in it.

IPod_Dock_and_DVD_unit.jpg

Pic of the IPod dock mounted in the center console compartment and Pioneer DVD/Nav headunit up front.

Sport_Seat_Conversion.jpg

Passenger seat with Sport Seat Conversion before I installed it this week.

Power_Windows_and_Locks.jpg

Power window and lock switch on both doors. I am thinking about going with an electric side mirror control for the drivers side door but not sure yet. I have to buy the mirrors and see how much work it will take to make power side view mirrors first. Anyone have a heads up on this?

Front.jpg

Oversized universal aluminum radiator and Ford Motorsports transmission cooler up front. I am going to install A/C so I will have to remount the cooler when I can afford the A/C system :laugh:

Rear_Radiator.jpg

You can see just how big the radiator is in this pic. Overkill, yes I know. I took this pic before I fixed the upper mount brackets. They now sit flush with the top so they don't have that ugly downward angle anymore.

I also have an aluminum shroud and electric puller fan but I have to install the engine first to see if there is enough clearance for it. I measured 3" from the back of the radiator when mounted so hopefully the water pump pulley doesn't stick out that far.

Radiator_Clearance.jpg

Stock batter didn't fit so I had to get the Optima. I also had to cut about 3" off the battery tray and mount it a few inches higher to give enough clearance for the radiator.

Painted_Booster.jpg

Power brake booster colored the exact color the exteior will be. 99 Ford Metalic Silver paint code YN

Rear_Seats.jpg

Rear seats with custom red stripping to match the front Mach 1 seats.

Rear_Speakers.jpg

Rear 6x9s. You can see just how filthy the car has gotten over the past few years. I will clean everything before its done don't worry.

Rear_Disc_2.jpg

Converted the rears to discs to match the front factory discs. Yet another pic showing off how clean the car is right now.

Electric_Trunk.jpg

Power trunk release. I have the button mounted in the glove box but I don't have a pic showing it up yet.

Front_Speaker.jpg

6x9s mounted in the fresh air vents. I fiberglassed behind the speakers to protect against any water and to give it a semi box sound. Pretty good bass but not loud and metal rattling.

Randals_Rack.sized.jpg

Really old pic but you can see the Randals Power Steering Rack installed. Also the MSD ignition and where the fuel pressure regulator is mounted. I have a Holly Blue pump mounted by the fuel tank.

Thats all the pics I have right now. I just got my engine this week so I am in the progess of mounting all the accessories to it. For an engine I went with a 351w. The shop dynoed it at 428hp, 403ft/lbs. I have a TCI Streetrighter C4 with a 2500 stall converter. In the rear I have a Ford 8" (Hope its just as strong as the 9") with 3.55 gears and a Powertrax LSD.

I will take engine pics hopefully this week but I am pretty busy so I am not sure if I will get it out of the crate to mount everything on it or not.

Here is the not so interesting background.

I bought this back in 2002. There was a lot of metal work needed. The car was stripped of everything and all (at the time) rusted metal replaced, body work done and car was primed. The car was ready for paint but due to the passing of my father at the time, I put the car on hold.

A few years pass and I started working on the car again. Over the years of sitting around the body took a decent blow and needs so dents and scratches taken out here and there. Some of the metal has surface rust on it which I will sand back down and see if I need to go any further into it.

Now the fun part. Here are some pics of where I am at today with the car.

Steering_Wheel.sized.jpg

I installed Autometer Speedo/Tach/Fuel/Oil Pressure gauges in the original cluster. If you look closely you can see 3 LEDs on the cluster also. The 2 on the outside are green for the turn signals and the 1 in the middle is blue for the bright indicator. I have the Shelby gauge pod for the console and mounted Volts/Water Temp in it.

IPod_Dock_and_DVD_unit.jpg

Pic of the IPod dock mounted in the center console compartment and Pioneer DVD/Nav headunit up front.

Sport_Seat_Conversion.jpg

Passenger seat with Sport Seat Conversion before I installed it this week.

Power_Windows_and_Locks.jpg

Power window and lock switch on both doors. I am thinking about going with an electric side mirror control for the drivers side door but not sure yet. I have to buy the mirrors and see how much work it will take to make power side view mirrors first. Anyone have a heads up on this?

Front.jpg

Oversized universal aluminum radiator and Ford Motorsports transmission cooler up front. I am going to install A/C so I will have to remount the cooler when I can afford the A/C system :laugh:

Rear_Radiator.jpg

You can see just how big the radiator is in this pic. Overkill, yes I know. I took this pic before I fixed the upper mount brackets. They now sit flush with the top so they don't have that ugly downward angle anymore.

I also have an aluminum shroud and electric puller fan but I have to install the engine first to see if there is enough clearance for it. I measured 3" from the back of the radiator when mounted so hopefully the water pump pulley doesn't stick out that far.

Radiator_Clearance.jpg

Stock batter didn't fit so I had to get the Optima. I also had to cut about 3" off the battery tray and mount it a few inches higher to give enough clearance for the radiator.

Painted_Booster.jpg

Power brake booster colored the exact color the exteior will be. 99 Ford Metalic Silver paint code YN

Rear_Seats.jpg

Rear seats with custom red stripping to match the front Mach 1 seats.

Rear_Speakers.jpg

Rear 6x9s. You can see just how filthy the car has gotten over the past few years. I will clean everything before its done don't worry.

Rear_Disc_2.jpg

Converted the rears to discs to match the front factory discs. Yet another pic showing off how clean the car is right now.

Electric_Trunk.jpg

Power trunk release. I have the button mounted in the glove box but I don't have a pic showing it up yet.

Front_Speaker.jpg

6x9s mounted in the fresh air vents. I fiberglassed behind the speakers to protect against any water and to give it a semi box sound. Pretty good bass but not loud and metal rattling.

Randals_Rack.sized.jpg

Really old pic but you can see the Randals Power Steering Rack installed. Also the MSD ignition and where the fuel pressure regulator is mounted. I have a Holly Blue pump mounted by the fuel tank.

Thats all the pics I have right now. I just got my engine this week so I am in the progess of mounting all the accessories to it. For an engine I went with a 351w. The shop dynoed it at 428hp, 403ft/lbs. I have a TCI Streetrighter C4 with a 2500 stall converter. In the rear I have a Ford 8" (Hope its just as strong as the 9") with 3.55 gears and a Powertrax LSD.

I will take engine pics hopefully this week but I am pretty busy so I am not sure if I will get it out of the crate to mount everything on it or not.

What's the story on the front seats? Are they and aftermarket seat redone with stock looking covers, or a stock seat modified? I like the looks of them.

they are stock frames with modified padding and covers put on. the extra padding on the sides and bottom are hardened to hold you in tighter. i got them from mustangs unlimited but every mustang place carries them now. just search for sport seat conversion you will find tons of places for them.

What's the story on the front seats? Are they and aftermarket seat redone with stock looking covers, or a stock seat modified? I like the looks of them.

they are stock frames with modified padding and covers put on. the extra padding on the sides and bottom are hardened to hold you in tighter. i got them from mustangs unlimited but every mustang place carries them now. just search for sport seat conversion you will find tons of places for them.

Awesome work so far! I love the stock modified seats...I wanted to do that as well but wanted holes for the 4 point seat belts.

thanks i looked at your car from the link in your sig. amazing i can only hope my car comes out as nice as yours. congrats on the hard work you put into it

Awesome work so far! I love the stock modified seats...I wanted to do that as well but wanted holes for the 4 point seat belts.

thanks i looked at your car from the link in your sig. amazing i can only hope my car comes out as nice as yours. congrats on the hard work you put into it

is my car that bad no one wants to comment haha...i figured i would get a better response from people here than a generic mustang site

Actually, I am quite impressed with the work so far. I have been to this link several times for pics of the seats and looking at engine compartment. I am waiting for posting more pics. :tongue_smilie:

You mentioned the engine was dynoed at 428HP. What did you have done? What's the latest with your progress?

i bought a crate motor from an engine builder in North Carolina. I am not 100% sure on the exact specs of the engine but i do know that it has GT40 heads. after test fitting 4 different headers i found out the hard way why none of them were fitting (plug clearance problems) bc i had those heads.

the engine/tranny is in, i loomed up EVERYTHING, got all the vacuum done, plumbed up the rack and pinion, mounted all the accesories and electric fan with aluminum shroud. i will take pics of everything i did over the past few weeks, hopefully you and others on here will appricate how much time and effort i have put into this car so far.

finally got some pics taken of the car today. here is what i am as of now.

Fan_Shroud.sized.jpg

Bought this as a kit from Summit but did not fit AT ALL. I had to mount the fan on the inside of grille, trim the grille and mount that behind the shroud. there was little to no clearance between the fan and the radiator now so i had to make brackets and mount the tranny cooler in to them.

Fan_Clearance.sized.jpg

The fan just about makes it. thats as good as i can get it for now. i may take the fan motor apart and see if i can trim the outer shell to bring it back a little.

Inside_view.sized.jpg

Fan/shroud mounted. not the best of pics but it looks pretty good in the light

Front_001.sized.jpg

Here is the brackets i made to remount the tranny cooler. i just finished it but didnt take any pics but i bent 3/8" steel lines and ran them to the back side of the radiator and used a 3/8" hose to connect the cooler to the line.

Engine.sized.jpg

Engine is finally in. I havent installed the headers yet which is why the plug wires are flopped over like that.

Throttle_Bracket.sized.jpg

Quick Fuel 680cfm with vacuum secondaries. i also have a 1/2" phenolic spacer for it. I went with the Lokar throttle cable and kickdown. it wasnt to hard to install and looks really good installed IMO.

PCV.sized.jpg

PCV and vacuum setup. i didnt like the silver/chrome look of the PCV valve and hose clamps so i actually painted them low gloss black.

Alt_bracket_2.sized.jpg

March alt bracket and water pump pulley.

PS_Pump.sized.jpg

March PS pump bracket and 90 Mustang PS pump for rack/pinion. the bracket did not fit so i had to cut new spacers and space out the water pump pulley. i painted the reservoir the same color as the block which is the same color as the brake booster/master too.

Alt_bracket.sized.jpg

Belt setup. I have v-belt setup but i had to use 1 belt for everything.

Loom.sized.jpg

you can see the loom here. i did every wire on the car this way. took almost 2 days but it was worth it at the end.

Seats.jpg

Dark pic of the interior but all the seats are in.

looks good and you seem to be making a lot of progress too!!!! how do you like that Quick Fuel carb? i've been considering getting one of those for my cougar project eventually or one of the new Holley aluminum street avenger carbs

i wasnt able to run the engine myself yet so i cant tell you but when the engine was dynoed it had this carb on. hopefully in a week i will get the exhaust up and finally fired it up

thanks i am tring to back everything silver/aluminum under the hood to go all together nicely. i was told they have gt40 heads, maybe i am wrong? i honestly dont know what the difference i am just going by what the shop told me.