Sign in to follow this  
69again

Ouch! Got rear ended Sunday

:sad: Got rear ended when I was out for a Sunday drive. Not a lot of damage, but because of the coupe, they are planning on spraying and color sanding pretty much everything except the font fenders and hood. I have never had to get a classic repaired do to insurance. The other persons insurance seems to be coperating with the repair shop to get it back to how it was. Although we haven't finalized the bill yet.

Any special things I should be considering asking of the other drivers insurance company?

What has been your issues with getting the insurance to get it right. If they don't agree to pay to get it right, should I threathen a law suit?

Thanks for any insight.

Dan

:sad: Got rear ended when I was out for a Sunday drive. Not a lot of damage, but because of the coupe, they are planning on spraying and color sanding pretty much everything except the font fenders and hood. I have never had to get a classic repaired do to insurance. The other persons insurance seems to be coperating with the repair shop to get it back to how it was. Although we haven't finalized the bill yet.

Any special things I should be considering asking of the other drivers insurance company?

What has been your issues with getting the insurance to get it right. If they don't agree to pay to get it right, should I threathen a law suit?

Thanks for any insight.

Dan

Threatening does nothing, they have heard it all before, you either choose to sue or you don't and if you do then you are out of the loop and they will only deal with a lawyer, I don't recommend that route unless you can afford to be right, I sure couldn't, It would have cost me 2-3 times the amount to sue for the few grand they tried to jip me on the car value and if you think they don't know that when they come up with the exact price they will offer you then you're nuts. I made up for it all on the personal injury side though and stuck it back to them, you just can't put a price on an individuals pain and suffering or even prove it for that matter, well worth going to physical therapy for 8 months and waiting it out a year too. In fact 2-3 days is usually how long it takes for whip lash to kick in, isn't your neck starting to hurt? LOL.

Seriously though, what it boils down to is the cars value vs. the cost of repairs. If the cost of repairs exceeds 70% of the value then they will simply total it, that's what they did to me. What do you have the car insured for as value with your insurance company? The best legal recourse you have if you aren't satisfied is to turn it over to your insurance agent and let them handle it.

Threatening does nothing, they have heard it all before, you either choose to sue or you don't and if you do then you are out of the loop and they will only deal with a lawyer, I don't recommend that route unless you can afford to be right, I sure couldn't, It would have cost me 2-3 times the amount to sue for the few grand they tried to jip me on the car value and if you think they don't know that when they come up with the exact price they will offer you then you're nuts. I made up for it all on the personal injury side though and stuck it back to them, you just can't put a price on an individuals pain and suffering or even prove it for that matter, well worth going to physical therapy for 8 months and waiting it out a year too. In fact 2-3 days is usually how long it takes for whip lash to kick in, isn't your neck starting to hurt? LOL.

Seriously though, what it boils down to is the cars value vs. the cost of repairs. If the cost of repairs exceeds 70% of the value then they will simply total it, that's what they did to me. What do you have the car insured for as value with your insurance company? The best legal recourse you have if you aren't satisfied is to turn it over to your insurance agent and let them handle it.

Thanks Pak,

I will know more towards the end of the week. There wasn't much physical damage to the car, but due to how I finished the car with color sanding, they have to refinish most of the car. I think we will be $400 for bumper and materials and $4.5k in labor. I have the car insured for $20k. My insurance said at any time if I wasn't happy with their insurance that they would take it over and go after them. I have never been in this kind of position before and want to ensure I don't get taken advantage of.

I don't think it is related, but my neck does seem to be more sore than usual.

Thanks again,

Dan

Thanks Pak,

I will know more towards the end of the week. There wasn't much physical damage to the car, but due to how I finished the car with color sanding, they have to refinish most of the car. I think we will be $400 for bumper and materials and $4.5k in labor. I have the car insured for $20k. My insurance said at any time if I wasn't happy with their insurance that they would take it over and go after them. I have never been in this kind of position before and want to ensure I don't get taken advantage of.

I don't think it is related, but my neck does seem to be more sore than usual.

Thanks again,

Dan

I will upload them this evening. Because of the angle of the impact, it buckled the right rear quarter down about a 1/4 inch which caused the quarter to buckle inward as well. The frame has been straightend and the buckle came back out without a crease. Very little damage. It was in promer yesterday and should be repainted and clear coated by the end of the week. Color sanding and reassemble early next week. Hopefully, I get it back late next week.

I will upload them this evening. Because of the angle of the impact, it buckled the right rear quarter down about a 1/4 inch which caused the quarter to buckle inward as well. The frame has been straightend and the buckle came back out without a crease. Very little damage. It was in promer yesterday and should be repainted and clear coated by the end of the week. Color sanding and reassemble early next week. Hopefully, I get it back late next week.

Don't know yet. I may be worrying for nothing, I just haven't had to deal with this type of repair before where the finish isn't just oem. They didn't start the work until the inspector gave his initial ok. But that wasn't for as much work as I thought it should require.

The shop said they will document the additional work and submit it. They did get some additional hours tacked on, but they found additional work. It is about another $1k over what the insurance inspector estimated. We haven't received the check yet, so I am not sure.

I don't know how these processes usually go.

Don't know yet. I may be worrying for nothing, I just haven't had to deal with this type of repair before where the finish isn't just oem. They didn't start the work until the inspector gave his initial ok. But that wasn't for as much work as I thought it should require.

The shop said they will document the additional work and submit it. They did get some additional hours tacked on, but they found additional work. It is about another $1k over what the insurance inspector estimated. We haven't received the check yet, so I am not sure.

I don't know how these processes usually go.

Make sure YOU choose the shop.

Don't accept whatever body shop the other guys insurance wants to use. Do your research, ask around, and find a GOOD body shop. This isn't a Civic that will be a beater in 5 years anyways, your car is going to be around for a long time, the work needs to be done RIGHT.

If the other insurance argues, talk to your insurance company and explain that you did your research, and that being as this is a special car it requires a shop with the right knowledge.

If you want me to, I know a guy who is owner of a very, very good body shop. I can talk to him, and ask him what you should do.

If you want me too, just shoot me a PM and I'll get in touch with you in a few days...

Make sure YOU choose the shop.

Don't accept whatever body shop the other guys insurance wants to use. Do your research, ask around, and find a GOOD body shop. This isn't a Civic that will be a beater in 5 years anyways, your car is going to be around for a long time, the work needs to be done RIGHT.

If the other insurance argues, talk to your insurance company and explain that you did your research, and that being as this is a special car it requires a shop with the right knowledge.

If you want me to, I know a guy who is owner of a very, very good body shop. I can talk to him, and ask him what you should do.

If you want me too, just shoot me a PM and I'll get in touch with you in a few days...

Thanks the info. I do have a good shop. I know the owners and they have a specialty department where they do show cars with custom jobs, as well as, their standard repairs. I will know more Wednesday if they have approved all the additionals. I will just have to be patient untill then.

Thanks the info. I do have a good shop. I know the owners and they have a specialty department where they do show cars with custom jobs, as well as, their standard repairs. I will know more Wednesday if they have approved all the additionals. I will just have to be patient untill then.