Sign in to follow this  
2whitp21

brake problem / engine cut out

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can help me. I have a 1969 Grande e with 5.3 v8 351W motor and a auto FMX gear box. The problem i have is that every time i put my foot on the brake the engine cuts out. This is particularly annoying as to get the engine into gear i have to press the brake thus the car is unusable.

Can anyone advise what is the most likley cause of this. I have been told that it might be the master cylinder/booster. but no one can be certain.

has anyone here had a similar problem or any idea on how to resolve this issue.

Many Thanks

Paul

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can help me. I have a 1969 Grande e with 5.3 v8 351W motor and a auto FMX gear box. The problem i have is that every time i put my foot on the brake the engine cuts out. This is particularly annoying as to get the engine into gear i have to press the brake thus the car is unusable.

Can anyone advise what is the most likley cause of this. I have been told that it might be the master cylinder/booster. but no one can be certain.

has anyone here had a similar problem or any idea on how to resolve this issue.

Many Thanks

Paul

If a booster - what a PITA to install. By a good one- not the cheaper $100 ones as the quality sucks. I went through two of them!

I picked my last one up from:

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20Disc%20Brake%20Conversion%20Kits%20HOME%20index.htm.html

......the only problem I had was the actuator rod was to long... See my other posts but thanks to the forum -FIXED!

If a booster - what a PITA to install. By a good one- not the cheaper $100 ones as the quality sucks. I went through two of them!

I picked my last one up from:

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20Disc%20Brake%20Conversion%20Kits%20HOME%20index.htm.html

......the only problem I had was the actuator rod was to long... See my other posts but thanks to the forum -FIXED!

You dont have to pull the dash apart to change the booster.. You can do everything on your back under the dash.. Get a partner to help you out and it will be a snap.. Just watch out for brake fluid, that stuff will eat through your paint quicker than you can say "give me a beer"...

You dont have to pull the dash apart to change the booster.. You can do everything on your back under the dash.. Get a partner to help you out and it will be a snap.. Just watch out for brake fluid, that stuff will eat through your paint quicker than you can say "give me a beer"...

Agreed. Get a couple of looooong extensions and an air ratchet. It'll make your job easier.:biggrin:

Oh, I think 351 are 5.8 liters.

Agreed. Get a couple of looooong extensions and an air ratchet. It'll make your job easier.:biggrin:

Oh, I think 351 are 5.8 liters.

Got the Booster/MC out without having to take the dash out, my back still hurts :scared:. 4 bolts (2 of these were never tightened all the way down) by the steering column on the inside the car and 1 at the top right of the booster on the firewall engine side. There was a LOT of fluid in my booster....it was like half way full. There was some "liquid rust" in there too. I'm going to flush the brake lines out to make sure I get any residual water and "liquid rust" out of the system before I install the new Booster/MC. What a pain in the :asshole: to get that thing out.

Got the Booster/MC out without having to take the dash out, my back still hurts :scared:. 4 bolts (2 of these were never tightened all the way down) by the steering column on the inside the car and 1 at the top right of the booster on the firewall engine side. There was a LOT of fluid in my booster....it was like half way full. There was some "liquid rust" in there too. I'm going to flush the brake lines out to make sure I get any residual water and "liquid rust" out of the system before I install the new Booster/MC. What a pain in the :asshole: to get that thing out.

Oh...I also took the MC and Booster apart while they were still in the car so I didn't even have to take my 1 piece export brace off when I yanked them out. I did have to remove the hood hinge spring above the booster.

Oh...I also took the MC and Booster apart while they were still in the car so I didn't even have to take my 1 piece export brace off when I yanked them out. I did have to remove the hood hinge spring above the booster.