Sign in to follow this  
boarderboy29

Hood Clearance Question/Options

Here is my dilemma. I currently am getting ready to paint my 69 coupe. I was planning on doing the engine/tranny first, but circumstances arose that I am now going to be doing the paint prior to the drivetrain. I currently have a 302 with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, 2" Carb Spacer, an Edelbrock 600cfm carb and the short edelbrock Pro-flow 1000 foam air cleaner. Currently that setup barely clears the stock hood.

My eventual plan is to drop in a 351w with an edelbrock performer air-gap intake manifold (likely drop the 2" carb spacer) and get a standard sized air cleaner. I figure that this setup will not fit under the hood so the question is how best to proceed.

I have considered these three options:

Fiberglass Ram air hood

Pro: I think this is a very cool looking hood, light weight

Con: Not sure how much additional clearance this will give me.

Does anyone know how much clearance that gives you?

Fiberglass Cowl induction hood

Pro: light weight, can obviously get as much hood clearance as I need

Does anyone have an estimate on how much additonal clearance I would need? 2", 5", etc?

Keep Stock hood and cut a hole in the top and purchase a carb mounted scoop

Pro: Cheapest method, I have always digged the look of the carb scoop

Con: Hole in my hood :), Not sure how large to make the hole, How do people typically trim the edges of the hole?

Would I have to do this before painting or could I do it after? What if down the line I wanted to install a blower? Not sure how you open a hood with a big scoop sticking out of it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is an option that I haven't considered (other than lowering the engine mounts - dont want that much work) please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Con: To me this is the least attractive of all the options

Here is my dilemma. I currently am getting ready to paint my 69 coupe. I was planning on doing the engine/tranny first, but circumstances arose that I am now going to be doing the paint prior to the drivetrain. I currently have a 302 with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, 2" Carb Spacer, an Edelbrock 600cfm carb and the short edelbrock Pro-flow 1000 foam air cleaner. Currently that setup barely clears the stock hood.

My eventual plan is to drop in a 351w with an edelbrock performer air-gap intake manifold (likely drop the 2" carb spacer) and get a standard sized air cleaner. I figure that this setup will not fit under the hood so the question is how best to proceed.

Fiberglass Ram air hood

Does anyone have an estimate on how much additonal clearance I would need? 2", 5", etc?

Con: Hole in my hood :), Not sure how large to make the hole, How do people typically trim the edges of the hole?

Would I have to do this before painting or could I do it after? What if down the line I wanted to install a blower? Not sure how you open a hood with a big scoop sticking out of it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is an option that I haven't considered (other than lowering the engine mounts - dont want that much work) please let me know.

Thanks!!!

I went with the Eliminator style fiberglass hood and I love it. It is functional, has the hole and everything so it gives you that couple of inches of clearance.. actually about 3 I think. I like the scoop mostly because it looks kind of like a boss scoop but not as tall so it doesnt stick out.. I never like the boss scoop. I think that your 351 should clear the stock hood.. but Im not tooo sure..

I went with the Eliminator style fiberglass hood and I love it. It is functional, has the hole and everything so it gives you that couple of inches of clearance.. actually about 3 I think. I like the scoop mostly because it looks kind of like a boss scoop but not as tall so it doesnt stick out.. I never like the boss scoop. I think that your 351 should clear the stock hood.. but Im not tooo sure..

With the performer RPM air-gap, you should be able to get away with the factory hood and a drop base air cleaner (no spacer of course).

The drop base air cleaners can be bought for pretty cheap, so might want to give that a try 1st.

With the performer RPM air-gap, you should be able to get away with the factory hood and a drop base air cleaner (no spacer of course).

The drop base air cleaners can be bought for pretty cheap, so might want to give that a try 1st.

Fiberglass Ram air hood

Thanks!!!

I have a cowl hood. I dont' have a Windsor but I have a 351 Cleveland with an RPM performer a 2" carb spacer and a 4" filter with a drop base (Not in my pictures) I still have about another inch or so in clearance under the cowl which is just enough for a another 1/2" spacer that I'm going to need to run when I get my Nitrous kit. I can see the filter through the cowl hood while sitting in my car it's bad ass when I rev and that thing moves.

Edited by xsuperjoex

Fiberglass Ram air hood

Thanks!!!

I have a cowl hood. I dont' have a Windsor but I have a 351 Cleveland with an RPM performer a 2" carb spacer and a 4" filter with a drop base (Not in my pictures) I still have about another inch or so in clearance under the cowl which is just enough for a another 1/2" spacer that I'm going to need to run when I get my Nitrous kit. I can see the filter through the cowl hood while sitting in my car it's bad ass when I rev and that thing moves.

Edited by xsuperjoex

Where did you get that cowl hood?

Where did you get that cowl hood?