rd49221

Finally Making Some Progress.....

Finished the stipping this week. I had it soda blasted, and was very pleased with the results. Leaves the surface in good shape, and doesn't damage plastic, stainless, etc.

Happily, very little additional rust underneath the 3 different repaints. Just at the bottom of the doors on both sides. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to patch.

I have a question for anyone else who has used soda- other than the obvious need to get it all out of nooks and crannies before painting, do you have any other suggestions for prep?

Soda is much friendlier than sand since it doesn't hold as much moisture. You will never get it all out though. Spend some time with an air compressor and some smaller hoses to get into as many places as possible, remove as many body grommets as you can in order to access these areas. At least the 69-70 cars have a removable dash, I've done 65-66 cars and after it was all back drivable, it still rained a little soda on the floor every once in a while. Still, it is worth every penny to have done, at least you know what you have under your expensive paint job, 'cause it all starts there. Nice project BTW

Soda is much friendlier than sand since it doesn't hold as much moisture. You will never get it all out though. Spend some time with an air compressor and some smaller hoses to get into as many places as possible, remove as many body grommets as you can in order to access these areas. At least the 69-70 cars have a removable dash, I've done 65-66 cars and after it was all back drivable, it still rained a little soda on the floor every once in a while. Still, it is worth every penny to have done, at least you know what you have under your expensive paint job, 'cause it all starts there. Nice project BTW

I've been very satisfied with the results. Luckily, didnt spray inside, but have been very careful to remove anything where it might hide

A little more progress. Have removed shock towers and front aprons, as well as rear suspension The front crossmember has been welded in and A arms try fit. So far so good.

Edited by rd49221

Looking REAL good, RD!

It appears that you have REALLY gotten motivated!!

BT

Yeah figured I might as well get it finished. Realized after 6 years that I wasn't getting any younger, richer or better looking

Installed Lizard Skin on interior panels this week. Floor, quarters, trunk, roof. It really cuts down on the resonance of the metal. Should be much more quiet and also spraying the insullation coat. A little messy if you don't cover everything, but pleased with the result.

http://www.lizardskin.com/

Edited by rd49221

i also went with lizard skin for my build.... great progress on your build.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you use both the sound and isulation products? Have you been satisfied with the results? Im still considering using dynamat in doors and maybe floor, just wondering if I need it.

i also went with lizard skin for my build.... great progress on your build.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you use both the sound and isulation products? Have you been satisfied with the results? Im still considering using dynamat in doors and maybe floor, just wondering if I need it.

yes i used both products... i have not been on the road yet, but i did purchase some eastwood sound deadening similar to dynamat if i need it... i have not installed it as of yet.

RD, she's taking shape, looks good and I bet it feels good too. I was also thinking about the lizard skin, but still on the fence about that.

Thanks. Yes, seems like there's progress and then slows down again. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Question on your car. The valve covers look great. Where did you get them? Most of what I've seen doesnt have the raised lettering and logo.

Today we are starting on the next phase of the project. This is the engine and trans. Planning to go through it with aluminum heads, serpentine belt system, new valve covers, and anything else that needs replacing.