Sign in to follow this  
ForceFed70

Now that spring is here.

I'm curious as to what everyone did to their car's over the winter, and how it turned out.

I took it easy this winter, but did do the following:

- EDIS8 swap

- Swapped to a power steering pump from an 86 F150

- Electronic trunk opener/latch from a 80's fullsize

- New grill and heater/radio bezel

- Custom progressive throttle linkage

- Buncha little stuff not worth mentioning

I'm curious as to what everyone did to their car's over the winter, and how it turned out.

- EDIS8 swap

I took it easy too.

- Swapped front VariShocks that was damaged, got new from TCP under warranty

- Installed new parking brake cabels for the Wilwood rear brakes

- A real good cleaning of the interior, polished it too.

Still to do before it hits the road:

- Connect new parking brake cables to the foot brake pedal (LOL - yeah I know, I know...):tongue_smilie:

- Install bump steer kit

- Install new aluminum radiator

- Install stiffer springs on the rear coilovers

Stuff I wish I had done:

- Should have fixed that minor rust under the driver footwell

- Should have raised the exhaust tips location

I took it easy too.

- Swapped front VariShocks that was damaged, got new from TCP under warranty

- Installed new parking brake cabels for the Wilwood rear brakes

- A real good cleaning of the interior, polished it too.

Still to do before it hits the road:

- Connect new parking brake cables to the foot brake pedal (LOL - yeah I know, I know...):tongue_smilie:

- Install bump steer kit

- Install new aluminum radiator

- Install stiffer springs on the rear coilovers

Stuff I wish I had done:

- Should have fixed that minor rust under the driver footwell

- Should have raised the exhaust tips location

forcefed70 ... i am interested in your EDIS swap... sent you a pm. great ride.. love all the items you have done not in the norm when you go to a mustang show!! lots of tasteful mods in my opinion...:thumbup1:

- EDIS8 swap

forcefed70 ... i am interested in your EDIS swap... sent you a pm. great ride.. love all the items you have done not in the norm when you go to a mustang show!! lots of tasteful mods in my opinion...:thumbup1:

- EDIS8 swap

Thanks.

Didn't see a PM tho? Ask away, the EDIS swap turned out great. There's lots of info out there on this swap as you can run EDIS on any 4,6,8, or even 10 cylinder even-fire 4 stroke engine.

Biggest gotcha is that you need to have something to control the EDIS module (otherwise your timing is locked to 10* BTDC). I use my megasquirt ECU to do this, but there are a variety of options.

Thanks.

Didn't see a PM tho? Ask away, the EDIS swap turned out great. There's lots of info out there on this swap as you can run EDIS on any 4,6,8, or even 10 cylinder even-fire 4 stroke engine.

Biggest gotcha is that you need to have something to control the EDIS module (otherwise your timing is locked to 10* BTDC). I use my megasquirt ECU to do this, but there are a variety of options.

I pulled the T-5 for a long overdue rebuild. Contemplating changing the heater core...!

So how hard is a T5 to rebuild? I'd never rebuilt a transmission and was trying to decide if I want to buy the GEForce T5 complete transmission, or just the gearset and do the install myself.

If you do pull that heater core, might as well do a few things while you are in there. Fix any wiring problems, clean out the heater ducts/controls, etc.

I pulled the T-5 for a long overdue rebuild. Contemplating changing the heater core...!

So how hard is a T5 to rebuild? I'd never rebuilt a transmission and was trying to decide if I want to buy the GEForce T5 complete transmission, or just the gearset and do the install myself.

If you do pull that heater core, might as well do a few things while you are in there. Fix any wiring problems, clean out the heater ducts/controls, etc.

I'm building another now for my car. Mine has started grinding shifting into third and has developed a vibration. I think the main shaft is bent or something is up with the cluster gear like too much end-play or a bad bearing. I picked up another used one the other day. This is my 4th or 5th one I have rebuilt over the years. This one is getting a new input shaft, steel retainer and the 90 up cluster gear with the stronger 2nd and 3rd gears. With all the work you have done on your car, I'm sure you will have no problem. They are one of the easy boxes to rebuild. I downlaoded a Borg & Warner T5 manual off the internet somewhere and it helps with a breakdown of all the small parts. Do a google search and you will find alot of info. And if you run into any problems, I would be glad to offer some help. I'm no "expert" but all of mine have lasted. I also picked up a 351W short block to build so I will find out how a t5 holds up behind a warmed up Windsor.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

I'm building another now for my car. Mine has started grinding shifting into third and has developed a vibration. I think the main shaft is bent or something is up with the cluster gear like too much end-play or a bad bearing. I picked up another used one the other day. This is my 4th or 5th one I have rebuilt over the years. This one is getting a new input shaft, steel retainer and the 90 up cluster gear with the stronger 2nd and 3rd gears. With all the work you have done on your car, I'm sure you will have no problem. They are one of the easy boxes to rebuild. I downlaoded a Borg & Warner T5 manual off the internet somewhere and it helps with a breakdown of all the small parts. Do a google search and you will find alot of info. And if you run into any problems, I would be glad to offer some help. I'm no "expert" but all of mine have lasted. I also picked up a 351W short block to build so I will find out how a t5 holds up behind a warmed up Windsor.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Thanks Slime.

I think I will end up rebuilding my own T5 if I can make it last another season without a catastrophic failure.

A lot of what I do is for my own education/learning and a transmission rebuild is something that I would like to learn about. I think I remember seeing there is a video out there about rebuilding the T5. Might look into that as well.

Plus... being in Canada it's much more cost effective to just buy the upgraded gearset. Shipping a whole T5 is a lot of $$$ and then there are the import fees.

Thanks Slime.

I think I will end up rebuilding my own T5 if I can make it last another season without a catastrophic failure.

A lot of what I do is for my own education/learning and a transmission rebuild is something that I would like to learn about. I think I remember seeing there is a video out there about rebuilding the T5. Might look into that as well.

Plus... being in Canada it's much more cost effective to just buy the upgraded gearset. Shipping a whole T5 is a lot of $$$ and then there are the import fees.

Yeah I know, I've been on the fence about it too, $50 is pretty cheap insurance though to get a DIY rebuild right the first time, think of it as a 1 hour labor charge. I've read reviews of guys with little to no mechanical skills saying how excellent this tutorial is though so it sounds worth it. Heck, you could always line up 5 buddies and sell them burned copies for $10 a pop I guess once you're done.:shifty:

Yeah I know, I've been on the fence about it too, $50 is pretty cheap insurance though to get a DIY rebuild right the first time, think of it as a 1 hour labor charge. I've read reviews of guys with little to no mechanical skills saying how excellent this tutorial is though so it sounds worth it. Heck, you could always line up 5 buddies and sell them burned copies for $10 a pop I guess once you're done.:shifty:

Hi ForceFed,

Busy winter here too. Completed my Megasquirt install using GM TBI for now, got it running two weekends ago. Having problems with the IAC valve not working, need to diagnose that yet. And then tune it properly of course. Have the EDIS parts waiting, but want to have the fuel injection working properly before messing with ignition. MS has been quite a learning experience.

And I noticed the other day that I have a rear axle seal leak which probably means a brake job on that side along with the axle seal.