Sign in to follow this  
69mustang1

which big block to use

if you're building a stroker it wont much matter... if you are working stock FE heads the 70 429 will more than likely have the better ports to start with. Compare the blocks and see if one has a thick wall casting for boring.

You going with a Scat crank or other or doing the offset grind? Budget a lot for balancing!

good luck

if you're building a stroker it wont much matter... if you are working stock FE heads the 70 429 will more than likely have the better ports to start with. Compare the blocks and see if one has a thick wall casting for boring.

You going with a Scat crank or other or doing the offset grind? Budget a lot for balancing!

good luck

The FE was the 390-428 engine in the Mustang, the 429-460 engines are in the 385 engine family. none of the parts interchange. the 385 is going to be easier to build up than a FE but harder to get installed in the car, due to the fact only a handful of Boss 429's were ever built .

There are enough aftermarket parts to get the job done though, but I still think an FE is what belongs in a Mustang prior to 1971 myself. if we keep these classics until we're old like I plan on the less original we make them the more we'll regret it. correcting all the kidderizing will be harder and more expensive in the future, that's my opinion anyway.

The FE was the 390-428 engine in the Mustang, the 429-460 engines are in the 385 engine family. none of the parts interchange. the 385 is going to be easier to build up than a FE but harder to get installed in the car, due to the fact only a handful of Boss 429's were ever built .

There are enough aftermarket parts to get the job done though, but I still think an FE is what belongs in a Mustang prior to 1971 myself. if we keep these classics until we're old like I plan on the less original we make them the more we'll regret it. correcting all the kidderizing will be harder and more expensive in the future, that's my opinion anyway.

I don't know that it matters if you are building a stroker with a new crank, but IIRC there is a difference in the front of the crank between truck motors and car motors. I was warned not to get a car crank when rebuilding my trucks motor, because they used a different balancer and pulleys I believe... Since you're replacing the crank rods and pistons, the heads are all that matter.

So, see what the casting numbers on the heads are. If the 429 has D0-VE or older heads, they are winners, but anything newer than that is pretty much all the same. I've got E6TE, and my searching before my build led me to believe that, beyond a exhuast port on the back of the head, all carb'd castings after the D0-VEs where pretty much the same performance wise. I think the last carb'd casting for non-HD use (E5 or so) had a disadvantage in flow IIRC, but it was something you can fix.

What year is the 460 from? EFI heads do not work with carb manifolds.

I don't know that it matters if you are building a stroker with a new crank, but IIRC there is a difference in the front of the crank between truck motors and car motors. I was warned not to get a car crank when rebuilding my trucks motor, because they used a different balancer and pulleys I believe... Since you're replacing the crank rods and pistons, the heads are all that matter.

So, see what the casting numbers on the heads are. If the 429 has D0-VE or older heads, they are winners, but anything newer than that is pretty much all the same. I've got E6TE, and my searching before my build led me to believe that, beyond a exhuast port on the back of the head, all carb'd castings after the D0-VEs where pretty much the same performance wise. I think the last carb'd casting for non-HD use (E5 or so) had a disadvantage in flow IIRC, but it was something you can fix.

What year is the 460 from? EFI heads do not work with carb manifolds.

good luck

LOL, my bad... you are correct and this I know... but I meant, stock "Iron" heads... as FE is the elemental symbol for Iron... damn engineering classes. Didnt mean to cause any confusion.

good luck

LOL, my bad... you are correct and this I know... but I meant, stock "Iron" heads... as FE is the elemental symbol for Iron... damn engineering classes. Didnt mean to cause any confusion.

429 and 460 started in 1968 and lasted until 1996. There were several variations from 68 to 73. Both engines are basically the same except the 460 has a longer stroke (3.85in.) The 460 pre 1973 engine hp rating is 365. 1973 and up are rated 208 to 275 hp. The 429 Thunderjet is 2 bolt main, bore and stroke is 4.36 X 3.59, with 2.08 and 1.66 valves. 429 Boss is 2.28 and 1.90 valves. 429 cj is 2.25 and 1.72 valves. I guess I'm saying that either one in a pre 1973 engine is a good choice with the 429 winning out by a small margin. MrD2

429 and 460 started in 1968 and lasted until 1996. There were several variations from 68 to 73. Both engines are basically the same except the 460 has a longer stroke (3.85in.) The 460 pre 1973 engine hp rating is 365. 1973 and up are rated 208 to 275 hp. The 429 Thunderjet is 2 bolt main, bore and stroke is 4.36 X 3.59, with 2.08 and 1.66 valves. 429 Boss is 2.28 and 1.90 valves. 429 cj is 2.25 and 1.72 valves. I guess I'm saying that either one in a pre 1973 engine is a good choice with the 429 winning out by a small margin. MrD2

Depending on what year the truck block it is the D3 blocks are heavier and more suited to stroking this can be seen by looking at the bellhousing area o the block there will be a large cast in rectangle on the last cylinder.The 429 blocks are not as strong other than that they share the same dimensions.

Depending on what year the truck block it is the D3 blocks are heavier and more suited to stroking this can be seen by looking at the bellhousing area o the block there will be a large cast in rectangle on the last cylinder.The 429 blocks are not as strong other than that they share the same dimensions.

if we keep these classics until we're old like I plan on the less original we make them the more we'll regret it. correcting all the kidderizing will be harder and more expensive in the future, that's my opinion anyway.

Oh boy, here we go again, here, let me help you out.

soap-box.jpg

You are entitled to your opinion S-code but do we honestly have to be preached to in every single thread you post in? Much less be insulted by telling us anything we do less than stock is kidderizing? If you want us to respect your stance than you really have to stop this one man crusade and extremly narrow minded view and start respecting the modifed stance as well.

if we keep these classics until we're old like I plan on the less original we make them the more we'll regret it. correcting all the kidderizing will be harder and more expensive in the future, that's my opinion anyway.

Oh boy, here we go again, here, let me help you out.

soap-box.jpg

You are entitled to your opinion S-code but do we honestly have to be preached to in every single thread you post in? Much less be insulted by telling us anything we do less than stock is kidderizing? If you want us to respect your stance than you really have to stop this one man crusade and extremly narrow minded view and start respecting the modifed stance as well.