Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

Anyone using a electric fuel pump?

I know there are pumps out meant for carb'd use, my truck came factory with electric pumps and a 4bbl, and I've seen the pumps for sale at the local parts shop.

I just don't know if anyone has used one with good luck. I'd rather use a electric pump than the mechanical one on my Mustan, mostly because I don

t want to swap the timing cover and I need to buy a pump either way.

So any thoughts?

I know there are pumps out meant for carb'd use, my truck came factory with electric pumps and a 4bbl, and I've seen the pumps for sale at the local parts shop.

I just don't know if anyone has used one with good luck. I'd rather use a electric pump than the mechanical one on my Mustan, mostly because I don

t want to swap the timing cover and I need to buy a pump either way.

So any thoughts?

I tried running the Carter 6-8 psi pump and ended up taking it out. The damn thing kept cutting out when it got warm. I'm running a mechanical pump now with no hassles.

I believe if you run an electric pump you should install an inertia cut off switch. You can find lots of them in mid 90s and up Fords. Look in the trunk, and get a few inches of pig tail when you pull it.

I tried running the Carter 6-8 psi pump and ended up taking it out. The damn thing kept cutting out when it got warm. I'm running a mechanical pump now with no hassles.

I believe if you run an electric pump you should install an inertia cut off switch. You can find lots of them in mid 90s and up Fords. Look in the trunk, and get a few inches of pig tail when you pull it.

I have run a Carter one for years, never any trouble.

Had a different one on there before that was problematic but i dont remember the brand.

Mostly they are noisy, and vibrate some. Not a big deal to me though

I have run a Carter one for years, never any trouble.

Had a different one on there before that was problematic but i dont remember the brand.

Mostly they are noisy, and vibrate some. Not a big deal to me though

I was just being lazy, I'll swap the timing cover and put on a mechanical pump.

I also don't like violating good gaskets. This motor has no leakage around the timing cover, so I hate to pop the seal....

Thanks guys

I was just being lazy, I'll swap the timing cover and put on a mechanical pump.

I also don't like violating good gaskets. This motor has no leakage around the timing cover, so I hate to pop the seal....

Thanks guys

Why do you have to remove the timing chain cover to replace a fuel pump?

The only component behind it for the fuel pump is the lobe that mounts on the timing chain gear... Is that what is bad? Never heard that before.

If so, electric is an easy fix if you say you don't want to split the cover. I've run a carter for over a yr now with no issues....

The only component behind it for the fuel pump is the lobe that mounts on the timing chain gear... Is that what is bad? Never heard that before.

If so, electric is an easy fix if you say you don't want to split the cover. I've run a carter for over a yr now with no issues....

Yeah, sounds like the only reason... and then of course dont forget a cover plate where the mech pump used to be. :blink:

Yeah, sounds like the only reason... and then of course dont forget a cover plate where the mech pump used to be. :blink:

I guess I didn't mention in this thread, the motor that's going into my car is a '88, and doesn't have a eccentric to drive the pump, and the timing cover doesn't have a place to mount the pump. So I need to swap on a older timing cover...

I guess I didn't mention in this thread, the motor that's going into my car is a '88, and doesn't have a eccentric to drive the pump, and the timing cover doesn't have a place to mount the pump. So I need to swap on a older timing cover...