Sign in to follow this  
kfisher

1969 mustang Coupe Transmission swap?

well i am new to the site, but i own a 1969 mustang so i thought i'd sign up =P,

down to business, i have a C4 automatic trans in the car now with a 302 V8 not a boss, its all stock.

I am wanting to swap that out for a manual transmission, not really picky on 3/4/5 speed, just want the easiest swap possible, i understand i'm going to have to put a clutch and all that in i'm just wondering what way would be the easiest? and what transmission would you guys recommend, and how would you recommended me going about doing it?

any and all help is appreciated thanks a lot!!!

kfish

if anything a t-5z heavy duty will be a great swap its easy and they are afforadable. you dont have to modify anything to the tranny tunnel, or you can swap to the newer transmissions but you would have to modify the tranny cowl i believe.

Well I would say the easiest way to go about it is to get the standard four speed. The only argument to that is while your down there you might as well put in a 5 speed. Currently I am doing the T5 swap just cause i don't want to spend a thousand dollars for the T5z which you can pick up from Modern Driveline. http://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/custom_conversion.htm

If you scroll down on this page you can see the whole conversion kit needed to make the swap, and this way is probably the easiest since they give you everything needed. this is also a good article to read up on http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/

Hey Kfisher,

If you're looking for a swap on the cheap, i'm going to have some of the parts needed for you. I'm going to a 50oz roller block in my stang, so i need a bunch of new parts.

I'll have a flywheel/clutch for you, both in excellent shape. And i may have a stock 4-speed bellhousing (with the adapter for a 5-speed installed) for you. The latter depends on if i decide to go cable clutch or not.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Jay