Sign in to follow this  
Fastbackmustang

Wanting: 1969 or 1970 fastback mustang

Hey guys I'm trying to find me a automatic fastback mustang, I perfer a 1969 but I'll take a 1970 because I want a stang back! I drive a eclipse and I love it but wouldn't mind to have my dream car before I go into the military. I'm staying in college for 2 years and want to have a fastback under 10,000. I don't mind if it needs interior or exterior work. I just want it to be running. If no one here has one for sell can someone lead me to the right direction? last month someone was selling a nice 68 for 11,000 but I didn't want it because it was manual and it wasn't 69 or 70...

Well you're looking in the right place here for starters but where are you located? Or are you interested in paying on top of 10k to ship also or looking to cover all expenses with that 10k or what?

Thanks Pakrat. As of right now I'm located in Alabama for college. I prefer taking a plane to test drive the car first than have it shipped or drive it back if its not to far. I plan to pay 5-10k in total for a 69 fastback mustang that runs. I don't mind if it needs a little work on the exterior or interior and I don't mind if it has a v6 or whatever...as long as it drives well is what I'm most concern.

I don't understand why I can easily get a nice vette thats completely done for under 10k but its nearly impossible to get a not so great condition looking 69-70 fastback... I'm not looking for a 2010 mustang or a 1999 GT lol just a old fastback that runs

Edited by Fastbackmustang

OH, well with a V6, why didnt you say so? That should be easier. :biggrin:

Thanks Pakrat. As of right now I'm located in Alabama for college. I prefer taking a plane to test drive the car first than have it shipped or drive it back if its not to far. I plan to pay 5-10k in total for a 69 fastback mustang that runs. I don't mind if it needs a little work on the exterior or interior and I don't mind if it has a v6 or whatever...as long as it drives well is what I'm most concern.

OH, well with a V6, why didnt you say so? That should be easier. :biggrin:

I wish it could be easier....I can't find any...and when I do its either A)TOO FAST TOO EXPENSIVE B) decent body with no engine and tran C)SCAM

I don't mind if its a 69 body fastback with a mustang 1997 engine ...just as long as I can start it up, have no problems at all...no constant fixing...

just as long as I can start it up, have no problems at all...no constant fixing...

Well my friend you are looking for the impossible then. There is a reason why they call these hobby cars, they are plagued with gremlins and something can and almost always will go wrong even if you just spent 50k rebuilding one like new. The technology is still 40 years old and flawed. For seemingly no reason at all you just wake up one morning to go to work, turn the key and nada, it doesn't take more than a little condensation or corrosion on just one ground wire to render it temporarily inoperable.

Well my friend you are looking for the impossible then. There is a reason why they call these hobby cars, they are plagued with gremlins and something can and almost always will go wrong even if you just spent 50k rebuilding one like new. The technology is still 40 years old and flawed. For seemingly no reason at all you just wake up one morning to go to work, turn the key and nada, it doesn't take more than a little condensation or corrosion on just one ground wire to render it temporarily inoperable.

so what if everything was to be stripped and replaced with a..lets say a 97 gt ?

so what if everything was to be stripped and replaced with a..lets say a 97 gt ?

A 97 would have a 4.6 motor, but it's pretty easy to drop a modern 5.0L drivetrain into a 69/70, since it's basically the same old 302. And there are tons of them available.

But you've still got the outdated suspension, steering, and brakes to deal with, along with old heaters, gauges, wiring harnesses, etc. So if you drive it much, you're forever tinkering, as Pak pointed out. Either that, or you're faced with the expensive proposition of upgrading to modern replacement systems.

Not trying to discourage you, but 40 year old cars are high-maintenance. You end up investing much money and time keeping them on the road.

A 97 would have a 4.6 motor, but it's pretty easy to drop a modern 5.0L drivetrain into a 69/70, since it's basically the same old 302. And there are tons of them available.

But you've still got the outdated suspension, steering, and brakes to deal with, along with old heaters, gauges, wiring harnesses, etc. So if you drive it much, you're forever tinkering, as Pak pointed out. Either that, or you're faced with the expensive proposition of upgrading to modern replacement systems.

Not trying to discourage you, but 40 year old cars are high-maintenance. You end up investing much money and time keeping them on the road.

so your saying I can't buy a running fastback and enjoy? your saying maybe in one week of it just sitting out side it wont start? how am I suppose to be able to fix it? how easy is it to mess with muscle cars? does it require lots of money?

You can absolutely enjoy it, that's why all of us are here!!! But while you're driving home from the cruise-in, your headlights may quit, then while you're fixing those, the lower radiator hose will start leaking, then while you're replacing that, you'll crack a brake line, then....

No really, these cars are a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want to rely on mine to get to work (and back) 52 weeks a year. That's all I'm saying. And yeah, you will spend money (and time) taking care of one. It's unavoidable, IMO.

You can absolutely enjoy it, that's why all of us are here!!! But while you're driving home from the cruise-in, your headlights may quit, then while you're fixing those, the lower radiator hose will start leaking, then while you're replacing that, you'll crack a brake line, then....

No really, these cars are a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want to rely on mine to get to work (and back) 52 weeks a year. That's all I'm saying. And yeah, you will spend money (and time) taking care of one. It's unavoidable, IMO.

woo wait a min...are you serious? what causes that to happen? thats a little ridiculous, if this is so these cars should be very cheap to keep breaking like that....why not just remake the entire thing so its all new inside so it wont break....?

why not just remake the entire thing so its all new inside so it wont break....?

Sure, that's easy, just throw that extra 20k-30k you got rolling around in your pocket at it to replace everything and you'll be just fine, no problem, why not.:whistling:

Your questions are basically the same that every 20 something with bright eyes and a bushy tail has. Some learn from what they are told and warned about and others argue it and learn the hard way. We don't have all the answers for you, we only have our own experiences to draw on and pass along so you take them for what they are worth. Keep this in mind though, everytime you see a for sale add for an unfinished car with lots of parts in boxes being sold for less than they have invested into it because they have now "lost interest" it is almost never a 30-40 year old who has been in this hobby for 10 or more years. Usually it's a young guy with the dream of owning a classic muscle car who has no garage to work in, no real tools to speak of, little to no budget and not enough willlingness to learn how to work on these old cars himself and slowly goes broke paying a mechanic $50 an hour to replace points or tune it up every few weeks.

Again, we aren't trying to discourage you or pop your balloon, this hobby (and never forget that is exactly what this is, a hobby, meaning it requires your constant attention and you need to enjoy doing it as well) needs young blood and new generations of people to care for it and pass the torch but if you think you can just plop down 10k for a rough but good running car that you can use as is and be reliable than you are setting yourself up to turn that dream into a nightmare.

If you don't believe me then look up the progress thread by a member named Burritoboi. I have never seen a new comer to this hobby with more ambition and determination than him. He has been building his dream car for several years now, he learnt how to weld and do all his own work, he spent thousands of dollars on tools alone and spared no expense putting the best and most modern upgrades and parts into his car. Now that he is almost at the finsih line life has thrown him a curve ball, he run out of money and time to finish, can't afford his storage and is asking for about half or less of what he has actually invested in building the car. Every month when he has to pay garage rent again he drops the price even lower and is now looking at maybe haveing to tear the whole car down and sell off the parts for whatever he can get. If you aren't dead set on a fastback and would consider a coupe than I would highly suggest you consider buying his and pick up where he left off because it is a lot of car for the money.

wow back in the 60's did everyone had to do this? the whole idea of me wanting one is slowly going downhill and looking towards this one guy thats selling a 77 vette. He says its been running fine for the past 2 years since he got it. But I really wanted a fastback over a vette...you pop me bubble alright... I didn't like how you says it needs to be worked on at least once a week...thats nuts, yea sounds like a hobby for someone who is retired. So my only bet is to just renew it all...

Back in the 60's things were a tad different, it's not a fair comparison. Most people worked within 15 miles of their home, there was an average of one car per family with not even half as many folks on the road each day and certainly not trying to talk or text on their cell phone while drinking a coffee, eating a donut and trying to shave or put on make up. That's why drum brake technology doesn't usually cut it in today's world. It's not the brakes that are bad, it's the millions of idiots on the road with you that are. I'm not saying you have to work on them once a week at all nor that they did in the 60's, what I am saying is that you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best. With computer controlled cars and EFI like today everything is monitored and compensated for at the smallest variances in the engine or climate and you have idiot lights up the wazoo for every little thing that goes wrong, the down side is repairs when needed are expensive and a lot of it is beyond the comprehension or ability for the average joe. Old carbeurated cars always need a little turn of the screw this way or that way for optimum performance or changes in weather or elevation or what not. They are very simple in design and as such they tend to break more often but the up side is with just a little common sense and help from manuals and internet forums like this you can do it yourself and most parts are pretty cheap. Time is the only enemy these days, there just never seems to be enough of it.

I'd be curious how many miles were put on that vette in 2 years since all cars that spend most of their time in a garage tend to be trouble free and also why is he selling after just two years?

Again, I didn't want to pop your bubble, just give you a reality check. Hey, you could get lucky, be fine and happy as a clam with whatever you find in your price range, who knows. I wanted a 69' Mustang since I was 16 and it took me another 16 years to finally get it but it was worth the wait and I have no regrets because I was able to buy the best car I could afford and got exactly what I wanted and I already had a house for my family and a garage and two other cars for daily drivers as well. Some of my friends from back in the day who bought their dream cars first ended up selling them off to afford a house and wife later and now kick themselves and dream of a way to get them back or replace them. When I think of some of the cars I almost bought I cringe. Only you can write your story as you will have to decide how it starts and live with however it ends.

your good pakrat, you are one with words. I truly love the look of the 69/70 mustang....it just has that tough look to it that alot of newer mustang don't really have... I would never be caught owning any other type of mustang because truly I'm not a big fan of ford but I'm amazed of what they did in the 1969 and 1970.... I wish in 2010 they bring that look back...the 5th gen mustang is to bulky looking for me but it does looks nice...but yea I do want a fastback...even if its 0-60 is 10 lol (thats terrible) but I just want that look... plus I'm working on my eclipse for speed, trying to get it at 5.2 0-60 :shifty:

Hey you're not alone, we all think the Mustang reached perfection in 69' that's why we have a site dedicated just to it. And you know, there are a variety of body kits available for the 05+ cars that give it the 69' styling cues with all the modern convenievnces of a newer car. If I didn't live in snow country and could get by with a rear wheel car as my daily driver I would be looking to pick up a used 05+ GT and making it look more like this to compliment my classic.

TF10024-A40.jpg

By the time you change out the hood and scoop, add front and rear spoliers, window slats, classic looking rims in modern sizes, etc...you can basically end up with what a 69' Mustang would like today through evolution.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I have always owned a Mustang and my 1st was a 69 vert followed by a 69 Mach1. When I owned them in the 80's I did all the work on them and they were my daily drivers (along with several motorcycles). However, they left me on the side of the road many times as I tried to patch them together, make them faster and still try to pay my other bills. The bikes were what I rode when I was broke or the Stangs were broke. That was when I was in my 20's....

Now that I am in my 40's and busy as hell (who isn't these days?) I took a different path to Mustang ownership. I ditched my 87 LX (piece of sh*t) and bought Toyotas as my daily driver and went looking for a completed 69 Mach1. I didn't want a project car because of time constraints and I wanted to enjoy the ride day one. For that I paid big dollars.... However, since I've bought the Mach I have dropped at least what I paid for it in upgrades. But that is me and I am not a purist.... My goal is a bad ass Pro-tour Mach1 that I expect will be over $100k in parts by the time I am done. Now that is not a brag - just wanted you to know that this CAN be a costly venture. However, there are plently on this forum that do most if not all the work themselves and have the talent and time to do it right but cheaply.

So if you have the passion to own one of these sweet rides, you need to have a plan. The plan can be "buy a complete car" and pay the premium, "buy a parts car" and set your sites on lots of work and tracking down parts, etc... or pick something in between like a driver that needs work. But as Pak points out, you will spend money, you will be mad at times, you will think WTF at times but at the end of the day you have one way cool never to be recreated car.

Now with that said, have you checked out Car Domain? They now list cars for sale.

Here is a listing for Mustangs in the Baltimore area. You can enter any locale or search the county.

http://usedcars.cardomain.com/cars/used-for-sale-Ford.Mustang/location-Baltimore--MD/year-1969.1969/record_id-=5017480447523774601

My advise is enjoy the car but don't let it bury you in bills. If you find yourself picking between buying new shocks or paying the electric bill, you know you are a true Mustang Guy....

I have owned every generation of Mustang ever made. To me the 69/70 is the nicest looking of the cars. But they were never made particularly well...The same could be said for the Camaro's... They were cheap cars back in the day. Because of that they have issues....Floor pans were never rust proofed, inner fenders were prone to rusting...Its just the way they were back then. They were very basic cars. That's what makes them so easy to work on. When ya open the hood on a 69 you can actually see the engine. It doesn't look like a plumber convention moved in under there. That's the beauty of these cars. They will nickel and dime you to death for a couple of reasons...

(1) Their old and things break....Believe me, I'm old...and thing are breaking on ME !!!

(2) Their fun to play with....There's nothing like a new toy for the Old Stang.

Like Pak said earlier, this is a hobby. Any hobby is expensive. But the payoff is great !! Driving that car down the road on a mid summers night, hearing the rumble of that V8, and seeing the heads turn to look at the classic Stang is a great feeling. And knowing your built that car makes it even better !!

Oh, and one last thing....The chicks (Young and older) love these old Muscle cars !!

Oh....As for the question about the shocks and the electric bill.... Definatley the shocks. The wife can pay the power bill !!:tongue:

Edited by flight96

All good and prudent points added, at least you won't think it's just me now, lol.

I'll add to it though that even when you do have a plan it doesn't always turn out that way. When I first got in this hobby I bought what you might call a 10 footer. The car ran well had decent driver quality paint, was mostly original and just freshened up with a little rattle can paint in the engine bay, correct stickers and some new upholstery and carpet, most importantly though it was a 100% rust free California car that had only seen two owners and spent more than 20 years in storage leaving it with just 46k miles on the clock. For me it was perfect, I could get in and drive anywhere but it had just enough neediness to get my feet wet in the hobby. Aside from general tuning I would pick one task at the start of each season like new weatherstrip, detailing the interior, upgrading the stereo, etc... and enjoy it for the rest of the season. I also had a stack of much more ambitious plans for what I thought would be decades down the road. 4 years later a young punk in a POS Honda Civic ran a red light doing 65 in a 30 and totaled it on me. I've spent the last 4 1/2 years accelerating my future plans and now building it into my perfect totally redone dream car and unfortunately missing out on lots of driving fun as well over that time, but hey that's the hobby, life dealt me lemons and ruined my plans so I'm making lemonade.

Don't know if we scared you away or not (and I hope not), but here is a perfect new example of what we are talking about from a fairly new member. He spent 15K on what looked like decent and driveable car and he enjoyed it for a little bit and then decided to upgrade a few things and, well, you'll see.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=6162

lol thnx, no you guys haven't scared me off..but it looks as though it would be best for me to just first go in the military than when I retire work on one. I personally thought I could buy a decent running 69/70 stang that needed exterior work and interior work for under 10k oh well at least I'm driving my first dream car and thats the 3gEclipseGT:tongue_smilie:

I know you want a fastback, but is a coupe out of the question? I'm sure you could find a decent, driver-quality '69-'70 coupe for under $10k.

Like you, I'm in my mid-20s and have been a Mustang fan since grammar school. A few years ago, I finally got a job that allowed me to seriously think about buying a vintage Mustang and I started out looking for a '65-'70 fastback. I quickly discovered that even solid, driver quality fastbacks for sub-10k were few and far between. I eventually expanded my search and ran across quite a decent little '69 coupe for considerably less than a fastback in much lesser condition would've cost. Since it was my first Mustang it has been a great car to learn from with much less money out of pocket. I'll still get a fastback (or 5) sometime in my lifetime, but for now my little coupe is quite satisfactory! :tongue_smilie:

buying a cheap coupe now is a good way to get your feet wet and will allow you to learn all the little intricacies of the 69 mustang also most parts will transfer from a coupe to a fastback too, so if you do some upgrades to the coupe and later find a fastback most if not all the upgrades will swap from the coupe to the fastback.

my 69 GT coupe which was my first car, and is now for sale BTW, was a driver for many years, got semi-parted out at one time because it had a lot of problems i didn't want to deal with at the time, luckily i came to my senses before i had sold more than a few parts and just put it in storage until i could afford to fix it, then became a project car for a while and a driver again shortly after that then the new engine that i paid someone to build for me blew up and it became a project car again until just a couple of years ago, though it still has a couple of bugs i need to work out. however, during all this time it was my only vehicle for many years and was a half decent, fairly dependable pizza delivery vehicle too.

i've also had a 70 cougar, a 78 mustang II and several other OLD cars as my only transportation during the times when my mustang was out of commission that were also pretty dependable but also had their own problems that needed attention. that's just a fact of life in owning an old car, shit happens and when it does you either fix it, park it or sell it. if you have another vehicle to drive while you fix the stang then you park it until you get it fixed, if you don't have you either fix it or sell it. that's just the way it works.

you are already ahead of a lot of people your age in that you already have another car so you have the ability to park and fix the stang when time and money allow, which is a big plus when owning an old car so i would say go ahead and buy the best 69 stang you can get for that $10k and just plan on having to do something every once in a while and put that eclipse into action when something does happen but for $10k you'd better plan on that being a coupe that could lead to a fastback later on. if you find the right deal on a good straight rust free fastback body later on you'll already have most of the parts you'll need to put it back together from a coupe, if you can stand killing a coupe to make a good fastback that is.