Sign in to follow this  
ushman

C.J. Pony Parts Sheet Metal O.K.?

C.J. has a lot of the sheetmetal I need on sale and will deliver free with a 5% discount to the Charlotte Autofair. Any feedback on how their metal compares to the more expensive vendors?

From what I learned there are only 3 manufacturers of this stuff. there's the US made Ford tooling which is the most expensive and is what I'd buy if I had it to do over, there's Dynacorn who makes Goodmark and most the rest of the name brands and then there's another cheapo, I don't recall their name.

If you don't want the high cost stuff just make sure it's Dynacorn made, and OK is about as good as I'd call it.

The Dynacorn door skins don't fit that bad, the floor pans are not a big deal either. the problem is you can't buy a '69 fender from the Ford tooling line they don't make them, for that it's a used one or Dynacorn.

If it were me, I'd buy all original items for exterior or area's that can be seen / structual (Shock towers). Floors or hidden items could go with repo to save cost. Mainly cause nothing fits like original!

Door skins, fender, torque box and floor pans. Sounds like I may want to buy higher quality. I'm not a bodyman but thought I could handle these parts...but not if the fit isn't right.

Floors, torque boxes are fine to get from CJ. Haven't done door skins (but the new doors fit pretty good). Fenders are iffy... I would probably try to find some originals. I've got a pair of new fenders for my 70 and they don't quite look right at the back of the fender where the door meets up. Would be fine for a driver just needing a fender, but if you're wanting the car to look like original, it's not quite the same fit.

Ive got some of the new Goodmark trunk lids they are the best we have seen.

Any pictures of the fitment? I've got one of the older repo ones that have the incorrect curve in the center of them.

Thanks

Todd

I will get some photos next week from an original shell thats untouched.As for Dynacorns Rear quarter panels you will not find a better fitting one.The right side is perfect and the only problem with the left is the fold at the very bottom were it attaches to the trunk floor drop off.Nothing major and never seen by the untrained eye..