Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

E-Brake pedal question

Hey guys,

I've had a non functioning E-Brake since i bought my stang last year (didn't much matter cause the car hasn't run right/i haven't driven it since i bought it anyway... Ha!)

But since this POS may actually be running soon, i've been thinking about getting it (E-Brake) working for safety. I've determined that the whole system is functional except for the pedal itself. Basically the E-Brake works when pressure is applied to the pedal, but the locking mechanism/release handle seem to be broken.

Have any of you guys tackled this? Is a replacement pedal assembly available? I see year one lists the pedal, but i don't think it's the whole assembly.

As always, the help is much appreciated!

Don't know about any repro pieces. I replaced my broken assembly with one from a parts car. I'm going with a trans tunnel e-brake when I get to that point in my build. Could be an option for you or I could snap some pics of mine if you're interested in a stock assembly.

Anyone thought about doing an electric parking brake? I know plenty of new cars have them, and there are a few aftermarket things available in the mobility market (for those that don't have the strength to pull/push a normal lever).

The pedal has a ratchet type of system. Mine stopped working one day and all it turned out to be was the "ratchet" system failed to engage. I just lubed it up a bit and works fine since.

It seems that the release handle isn't even functioning anymore. It's frozen and feels like it will snap off (bends up and down losely). I think it's pretty well gone.

Does the whole assembly just unbolt from the car with relative ease? If i can get it out i guess i could inspect it more closely.

I was thinking about the trans tunnel E-Brake, but everything i've read says you need to weld a plate into the trans tunnel to stifen up the sheatmetal to support the hand brake. Seems like too much work, i don't know how to weld, etc.

The e-brake assembly comes out with a few bolts and is self contained. You may have a spring issue or corrosion in there which is hanging everything up. I wuold pull it before you break it and see what you have on a bench.

I am considering going to a tunnel brake also. I have read a tech article and will post if I can find it again.

PJ

Mustangs Unlimited

PARKING BRAKE ASSEMBLY 69 MUSTANG & COUGAR

Parking Brake Assembly for 1969 Mustang & Cougar

This is the assembly that bolts underneath the dash and actuates the emergency brake system. The pedal applies tension to the emergency brake cables, in turn actuating the driver/passenger side rear wheel parking brake mechanisms.

Includes plastic pull handle and pedal with rubber pad.

here's some stuff i've learned about these parking brakes over the years. one is that the return spring for the release lever tends to break making the pedal either not lock or not release without manually adjusting the lever, kind of handy for no hands parking brake 180's though....:biggrin:

second is that the upper cable, the one that connects to the pedal assembly, tends to rust and corrode over the years causing the pedal do nothing and it will feel like it's the pedal itself that's messed up. replacing this $20 cable will fix that problem. my guess is that this is your problem. since you are likely going to be replacing that cable anyway you might as well replace them all as the others have a tendancy to stretch and unravel over time. my parking brake has never worked better in the entire time i've owned my car. all new cables only cost me about 50 bucks.