Sign in to follow this  
Wolfsburg

Magnum 500s and tires...

At some point I'm going to be in the market for a set of Magnum 500s and a new set of tires for my coupe. The car is stock for all intents and purposes.

Now I'm thinking about 15x7 (or 15x8?) Magnums but what sort of back spacing should I be going for?

As for tires, I'm thinking about getting some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Frankly, I like the look of the BFG T/As better but I've been reading some very good reviews regarding the Firestones and they still have the raised white letters that I want. The question is what size should I get? What's the biggest I can go without running into rubbing issues? I was thinking 235/60/R15 on all four corners. I wouldn't mind putting some beefier tires in back, but is it worth sacrificing the ability to rotate them? This car is mostly a daily driver so I have to consider practicality with aesthetics too.

a 235/60-15 on a set of 15x7 magnums is just about perfect and makes a great daily driver combo. don't worry too much about the backspace since the 15x7 mangums generally only come in one backspace anyway. if you do decide to go with a 15x8 you'll need a 4.5" backspace

Like bnickel said, I don't think you can get the Magnums (in steel) with anything but a set backspace. I do think maybe the real expensive ones that are made to look like Magnums in aluminum you can get that way, but all of the original-looking stock ones seem to only come one way.

I purchased a set from Jegs awhile back, 7" for the front and 8" for the rear. The Jegs invoice shows:

15x7 5X4.5 4.25RS

15x8 5x4.5 4.5RS

I have mounted tires on the 7" and my best measurement from the edge of the rim is 4.25 inches. My square would only fit the inside of the lip and it was 4" from there, so the .25 extra for the edge of the rim would be about right.

Before I took the car apart last week, I had plain stock all original suspension and I drove it around with the 7" Magnums on the front with 225/60 BFG Radial TA tires and all was well.

I do plan on running a larger tire on the back, the bigger the better, but I didn't want to tub the car out. I do plan on cutting that outer flange off of the rear axle bumper (not sure why its like that anyway), so if anyone knows of the max size would fit, that would be great. BFG makes:

245/60

255/60

275/60

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Like bnickel said, I don't think you can get the Magnums (in steel) with anything but a set backspace. I do think maybe the real expensive ones that are made to look like Magnums in aluminum you can get that way, but all of the original-looking stock ones seem to only come one way.

I purchased a set from Jegs awhile back, 7" for the front and 8" for the rear. The Jegs invoice shows:

15x7 5X4.5 4.25RS

15x8 5x4.5 4.5RS

I have mounted tires on the 7" and my best measurement from the edge of the rim is 4.25 inches. My square would only fit the inside of the lip and it was 4" from there, so the .25 extra for the edge of the rim would be about right.

Before I took the car apart last week, I had plain stock all original suspension and I drove it around with the 7" Magnums on the front with 225/60 BFG Radial TA tires and all was well.

I do plan on running a larger tire on the back, the bigger the better, but I didn't want to tub the car out. I do plan on cutting that outer flange off of the rear axle bumper (not sure why its like that anyway), so if anyone knows of the max size would fit, that would be great. BFG makes:

245/60

255/60

275/60

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

275/50 should fit with minimal mods, you'll most likely need to roll the fender lips but maybe not. i had to roll mine with the 275/50-15's i used to have on it but the 275/60 has more of a bulge than the 275/50 so you may be able to get away without rolling the lip, in other words the 275/50 has more of a squared sidewall than the 275/60 does so the sidewall sits further towards the outside of the wheelwell on the 50 and on the 60 series the sidewall has more of a rounded curve so the clearances are a little better

I'm in the same boat so I've been looking at the tire sizes on every mustang I liked the look of.

What I really like and have decided to get is 15x7 Magnums with BFG 235/60's on the front and 15x8 Magnums with BFG 245/60's rear. I'm not saying this is the biggest you can go but they give the perfect overall look to a 69-70 mustang in my opinion with no clearance problems.

Thanks for the info bnickel.

One thing that I will be able to do at some point is narrow my rear end, so I'll be able to position the tire exactly where I want it, which overcomes the problem of not being able to select the back spacing on the Magnums. The only reason I went with the 60 series is you can't get a 50 series in the BFG T/A Radial.

I did at one time try a 235/55 series R16 on my Camaro (I know, different car), but it rubbed and to be honest the tire looked massive. I liked the look, as it looked a lot like the front tires on a Corvette, but there was no way to make it work even with my suspension mods and the B/S I had on the rim. In that case, it was a Cobra G/T tire. The BFG 225/60 even mounted on a 7" rim looks really big to me and I almost didn't like it at first on the Mustang. The thing to keep in mind is that even with the same sized tires, they will look different from one manufacturer to another. I learned to always look at the tires first on the rack before you put them on a rim. Otherwise, you will wind up like me with a lot of tires around the shop !

-Kevin

I went the same as scode o mine - no problems. Planning on putting magnums on in future on a 70 boss tribute (like that word better than clone) and will go 255s in back this time. Seen on another 70 and not fitment issues.

I have the 15x7 wheels with the BFG 235/60/15. No spacer. Runs and rides great. There are pics in the gallery, djs69stang, page 8 or 9. You will need to recalibrate your speedometer with the bigger tires. But that is real easy also.

Thanks for the info bnickel.

One thing that I will be able to do at some point is narrow my rear end, so I'll be able to position the tire exactly where I want it, which overcomes the problem of not being able to select the back spacing on the Magnums. The only reason I went with the 60 series is you can't get a 50 series in the BFG T/A Radial.

I did at one time try a 235/55 series R16 on my Camaro (I know, different car), but it rubbed and to be honest the tire looked massive. I liked the look, as it looked a lot like the front tires on a Corvette, but there was no way to make it work even with my suspension mods and the B/S I had on the rim. In that case, it was a Cobra G/T tire. The BFG 225/60 even mounted on a 7" rim looks really big to me and I almost didn't like it at first on the Mustang. The thing to keep in mind is that even with the same sized tires, they will look different from one manufacturer to another. I learned to always look at the tires first on the rack before you put them on a rim. Otherwise, you will wind up like me with a lot of tires around the shop !

-Kevin

actually BFG does make 50 series radial T/A's in 15" sizes, though i think they only have 295/50-15 anymore. i have an old worn out set of 275/50-15 T/A's that were on the car for years, even had them on my old 70 cougar for a while. i loved that tire because it had a good amount of sidewall and was almost perfecty flat across the tread so it had pretty good grip for straight lines and corners too, there are much better tires nowadays but that was the perfect size tire for my 8" rims.

what i would like to do on the 69 cougar is run 15x8's all around with 265/50-15 front and 275/50-15 rear, i may have to do some work on the front fenders to make them work but i think that would give it an awesome late early/mid 80's canyon carver or late 80's/early 90's pro-touring look. coupled with a TCP G-Bar rear suspension, custom Opentracker roller front suspension/coilover conversion with TCP power rack and my hone-o-drive that i'm in the process of buying should make for fun driver, especially with my 15" Riken mesh wheels.

i also have a line on an ultra-rare, one year only 1.19 venturi 4100 carb that i want to use with my Ford Muscle Parts c90x intake for a nice mix of old and new stuff on the car. the gaol is to make it look like an original car that has been continually updated with period correct speed parts since it was new.

i'll probably also get a set of 15x7 GT wheels (argent painted, no chrome) and some 235/60-15 or 215/65-15 tires as well for when i want that bone stock/street sleeper look. i'm even thinking about adding a luggage rack too, just to complete the disguise.......:biggrin:

I run 225/70/15 with 15x7 magnums on the front and 275/60/15 with 15x8 magnums on the back. Fits perfect with no rubbing and a great neutral stance. The difference in height between the front and back is .4"