Chappy

1970 Fastback Restomod/Rebuild

Haven't been on this forum long, but I really like looking at other peoples project builds. So I figured I would put together a thread about the Mustang I've been working on.

Purchased the 1970 Mustang off of ebay in Dec 07, basically got a shell with a bunch of extra parts (although not everything by any means).

It came with the following:

302/auto car originally, includes non original motor/trans that run/drive

new 1/4 panels (inner and outer wheel houses also)

new doors

new front fenders

new trunk lid

new inner and outer wheel wells installed

new front and rear spoilers

new front and rear valences

most of the interior is not included with the car

Couple of pictures of the car when I first got it in the garage:

Picture%20082.jpg

Picture%20083.jpg

Picture%20085.jpg

Picture%20087.jpg

I started tearing it down, all of the suspension, rear end etc was removed from the car. When I had it down to the shell of the car I started into the metal work a little bit further, the floors had panels pop riveted in place to cover rust problems. Once removed and I started poking around/cleaning I found quite a bit more rust then I originally expected to find.

You can see the holes in the floor here:

Picture%20091.jpg

Picture%20089.jpg

Picture%20090.jpg

Rust around the trunk/tail light panel:

Picture%20095.jpg

Picture%20098.jpg

Small little rust spot around the trunk area to fix

Picture%20168.jpg

Someone welded in some nice plates on the rear frame rails to strengthen things I guess...

Picture%20099.jpg

This is the passenger side at the base of the windshield where it meets up to the body, wasn't fun to find this.

Picture%20137.jpg

Hard to see in this picture, but both shock towers on the front have cracks in them, plus they have the normal torched holes to grease the upper control arms.

Picture%20152.jpg

This is the inside of one of the shock towers, you can see the rust holes at the base where it meets up with the frame.

Picture%20282.jpg

Inside of the trunk itself some rust problems that showed up

Picture%20169.jpg

Picture%20175.jpg

At this point I decided to media blast a portion of the car, did it at home in the garage. To try to keep the mess to a minimum I made a blasting blanket around the car. Basically just used plastic sheeting from Menards to cover the car, then held it down to the floor with semi heavy objects. It worked really well for what I was doing.

Picture%20220.jpg

Found some more spots that needed work once that was done. The first is the base of the 1/4 panel where it meets the door. Nice that someone didn't fix the rust when the 1/4 was being replaced, now I have to go back in and fix it without messing up the new 1/4.

Picture%20256.jpg

This picture is of the firewall on the car, hard to really see well in the pictures, but the black dots toward the bottom are actually holes in the firewall and tons of them.

Picture%20278.jpg

Then the passenger side rear frame rail had a large crack in it right over the axle. Not sure what caused this, but it had to be fixed.

Picture%20234.jpg

At this point I decided I was going to replace the rear trunk panels, the back 2ft of the the frame on both sides of the car, the tail light panel, and trunk/quarter extension pieces. This is where it starts to look ugly.

Picture%20170.jpg

Picture%20172.jpg

Original drivers side rear frame rail section

Picture%20158.jpg

New section being placed

Picture%20293.jpg

Basically the same thing happened on the passenger side, then fitted the trunk panels.

Picture%20006.jpg

Picture%20012.jpg

Tail light panel and quarter extensions being fitted.

Picture%20010.jpg

Fixed the crack in the passenger side frame rail. This is about the time that I stopped working on for about 6 months. Got a little bit discouraged, needed some time to get motivated again.

Started working on it again in the middle of Oct. First I repaired the rust hole around the trunk opening.

Picture%201871.jpg

New trunk panels being welded in

Picture%201891.jpg

Picture%201931.jpg

Picture%201901.jpg

Tail light panel and everything all welded in.

Picture%202051.jpg

Picture%20206.jpg

Outer wheel well welding required, you'll notice that the new outers has to be modified, either the reproduction parts weren't made right or the person who installed them didn't put them in quite right, both sides had to be cut slightly to get them to line up with the trunk floor panels.

Picture%202151.jpg

Picture%202181.jpg

Tail light panel, trunk panels, rear interior panels, rear wheel wells, etc all primered.

Picture%202192.jpg

Picture%202195.jpg

Picture%202200.jpg

Picture%202201.jpg

Picture%202207.jpg

Picture%202208.jpg

Picture%202209.jpg

Update 1/6/09

Patch panel welded into the area just in front of the drivers door.

IMG_5101.jpg

Similar panel on the passenger side

IMG_5111.jpg

Stripped down driver side door jam, with new patch panel in the lower corner.

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

Passenger side is done as well, looks basically the same.

Picture looking up at the under side of the cowl on the car. As you can see it has some rust problems. I have a new cowl that will be going on, so no big deal. Only metal at this point. ;)

IMG_5100.jpg

Picture of the drivers side floor panel/part of the firewall removed. This shows the front frame, floor supports, and torque box (what is left of it)

IMG_5094.jpg

Close up picture of the torque box on the drivers side. There is supposed to be a piece of metal covering the large cavity, that was completely rusted out.

IMG_5099.jpg

Rust issues on the bracket between the frame and front of the torque box on the drivers side

IMG_5124.jpg

Drivers side floor support removed from the car

IMG_5145.jpg

Lower and side shot of the drivers side front frame rail.

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

Transmission tunnel crossmember that mounts to the front floor support.

IMG_5149.jpg

Tunnel side of front frame rail

IMG_5148.jpg

Edited by Chappy

Few pictures from the past week....

New metal welded into the bottom of the frame rail...

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

Fun with clamps!!

IMG_5161.jpg

That is the floor extension ready for welding...

Floor extension welded in to the frame, transmission crossmember:

IMG_5170.jpg

Torque box cut out of the car

IMG_5171.jpg

New lower half of the torque box installed with a couple of coats of ZeroRust on them.

IMG_5174.jpg

Exterior of the torque box looking from the wheel well.

IMG_5181.jpg

New upper torque box installed above the lower

IMG_5186.jpg

Bottom view from the transmission tunnel of the frame rail, floor extension, and torque box welded in.

IMG_5194.jpg

Edited by Chappy

That's where I'm at right now on things, I'm going to start tearing in to the passenger side floor support/torque box probably early next week.

Don't think I've mentioned things up above, but the final plan for the car is ever changing to some degree. Right now the firm things are:

Supercharged 4.6L DOHC out of an 03 Cobra

T-56 transmission

AJE Racing Front Coil Over Suspenion/K-member kit (cut shock towers to fit the DOHC 4.6)

13" Cobra Front Brakes

Still undecided on a lot of the other parts of the car. For a rear end, I'm either going to go with a 9" or an 8.8" Obviously the 9" would be more 'bolt in', but I'm not sure if that is what I want to go with.

Edited by Chappy

jeeez... that's an ambitious project. It sucks to find out post purchase that you didn't get what you thought you were getting. But happy to see you are pushing on.

Also, nice to see someone else is doing a 69 with a 4.6 dohc. I have slightly different plans but they also include notching the shock towers to fit the engine.

jeeez... that's an ambitious project. It sucks to find out post purchase that you didn't get what you thought you were getting. But happy to see you are pushing on.

Also, nice to see someone else is doing a 69 with a 4.6 dohc. I have slightly different plans but they also include notching the shock towers to fit the engine.

I knew it needed some of the work when purchased, but the more I dug/poked on the car, the more I found. I didn't think I was going to need to do the cowl, or firewall until after blasting. The trunk stuff wasn't planned either.

I'm just plugging ahead on things. I know most people probably would have just put the car back together and tried to sell it, or scrap it when they found what I did.

Cool, so on the AJE kit you can still flatten out the shock towers? or just trim back a bit?

i would love to find a 69 shell (i think) and go the modular route... i loved the mod motor in my 96 cobra, can only imagine a modular motor with a SC and 6 gears...

is anybody actually using the epoxy methods instead of welding? i had a body guy tell me a year or so ago that he only used the "epoxy ready" panels when he did early mustangs.

keep up the great work!

:tongue_smilie:

That's where I'm at right now on things, I'm going to start tearing in to the passenger side floor support/torque box probably early next week.

Don't think I've mentioned things up above, but the final plan for the car is ever changing to some degree. Right now the firm things are:

Supercharged 4.6L DOHC out of an 03 Cobra

T-56 transmission

AJE Racing Front Coil Over Suspenion/K-member kit (cut shock towers to fit the DOHC 4.6)

13" Cobra Front Brakes

Still undecided on a lot of the other parts of the car. For a rear end, I'm either going to go with a 9" or an 8.8" Obviously the 9" would be more 'bolt in', but I'm not sure if that is what I want to go with.

Update 1-23-09

Had to take a week off of working on the car… started working on it again on Monday of this week. Didn’t take any pictures during the disassembly of the passenger side, but it basically looked the same as the drivers side did. The torque box was quite a bit more solid… but still rusty and needing replacement.

Picture of the new passenger side floor support welded in. Also had to put a 3” tall replacement panel on the bottom of the frame rail itself.

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

New stuff from the trans tunnel side.

IMG_5279.jpg

At this point I’m waiting on a new torque box to come in for the passenger side. Order it on 12/31, was on backorder. Called them earlier this week and I’ll hopefully have that either today or tomorrow (FedEX Saturday delivery is nice sometimes).

I removed the stock motor mount brackets, and a portion of the shock towers.

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

The final cutting on the towers is still to come once I get the front suspension parts, and drop the motor in for the first time. The engine cradle and front a-arms are shipping out today, the rest of the suspension pieces will ship early next week. So I MIGHT start working on that early next week, we’ll see.

Once the towers were cut I was able to clean up the frame rails a little bit looking for rust. Found on spot on the passenger side rail that will need some work.

IMG_5293.jpg

A little picture of more fun to come here soon… this is the bottom corner of the passenger side of the windshield (looking from inside). Some of the metal will be replaced with the new cowl panel… some won’t.

IMG_5282.jpg

Update 1/25/08

Just a couple of pictures from the past few days...

Got the passenger side torque box installed.

IMG_5307.jpg

IMG_5308.jpg

IMG_5311.jpg

Put a patch on the rust spot on the passenger side frame where the shock tower base used to be.

IMG_5315.jpg

Was waiting around for the AJE stuff to come in, so I figured I might as well not completely waste a day and cut out the firewall.

IMG_5330.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

Test fitting the new firewall, still haven't done a final fitment/prep for welding, but getting close. Might be tomorrow or Tuesday.

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

A little update from the past couple of days.

Finished fitting up the firewall and welded it in place. Still have some more welding to do on it once I replace a few more parts that attach to it. That will come here soon...

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

So I'm still waiting on my suspension stuff to come in (even though it was supposed to have shipped from just North of Louisville on Friday!), so I decided that I would keep working on things. I tore out the floor of the car today. I have a one piece floor to replace it with.

IMG_5348.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

Surprising to me, but the rear torque boxes are in really good shape. Only issue is with a reinforcement plate at the back that will require some patch work.

IMG_5366.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

I have a few patch panels I'm going to need to install before I put the new floor in...

IMG_5360.jpg

All in all, things are going better than expected on these two parts. It's amazing that some of the easier jobs for me can make the biggest differences in appearance of the car.

More to come later on this week, if the suspension stuff comes in tomorrow, I'll probably start working on that before I finish up the floor.

Haven't posted any pictures up for a week or so, but progress is being made. Things are probably going to slow down here as some of this stuff takes a little more time to get worked out.

The one piece floor is installed in the car except for right around the trans tunnel in front (wanted to make sure I have enough room for the T56 before welding).

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

So I got my front suspension stuff Friday of last week, started installing it on Sunday when Roxann was doing some welding on the floor pan (yes she was actually welding).

Crossmember installed for first bolt up. The rack is a 03 Cobra rack.

IMG_5371.jpg

Bolted the engine mounts onto the Cobra motor, ran into a clearance issue between the oil filter adaptor and the motor mount.

IMG_5378.jpg

Last night I started dropping the motor into the car. Initial drop in didn't have clearance with the shock towers and the alternator/valve covers. So I pulled it back out, cut the towers back more (angled) and then reinstalled the motor.

This time things cleared with room to spare (although it's still tight in there!). Good news is that the oil filter location wasn't going to work with the frame rail either, so it wasn't only an issue with the motor mounts.

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

The alternator fits with the stock frame rail/front aprons with some room to spare.

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

Last thing yesterday I bolted the T56 on to the motor (to check for trans tunnel clearance/shifter location).

IMG_5405.jpg

Lines up great!

I did a quick check to see if the stock hood would fit, and it doesn't quite clear right now, I've got some extra room under the motor so I'm going to talk to AJE today to see if they would be willing to make up a set of motor mounts to drop the motor another 3/8". If they won't, I'll make a set. I think this will get the room for the hood, and also help out with driveline angle, transmission tunnel clearance.

Some times I look at some of the posts on this forum and say....”Self....you could do that”.....then there are other times like this when I sit in total amazement and say...."self,.... you could never in a million years be a quarter as talented as this guy!, don’t even think about trying”…..

You are the man! Looks awesome!

Like my sister always says when I’m washing my car………”I’ll go get my keys….you gonna do mine next right” LOL

Thanks for the kind words, honestly I was at a point about a year ago on it, where I was about to sell it and look for another one. But I decided to go ahead with things, I've had a few hiccups along the way, but once you get over those, things really aren't too bad. Just need to keep telling yourself that you can do the work. When I'm done with this, I'm going to know how the car was built, and the condition of everything on it. No questions as to if the frame rails are solid, or if the floors will have problems, etc. It's just time... and money... ;)

Don't really have any good pictures right now, but I installed the front suspension stuff early last week, just to check fitment.

IMG_5440.jpg

Got that done, installed the 13" brakes and stuff. Then I pulled it all apart. Motor and trans are out again. Started capping off the shock towers this weekend, basically done, just have a few finishing details left. I'll take some pictures here later on this week.

AJE is making a set of 1/2" drop motor mounts for me this week (hope to clear the stock hood with these). So I've got a little time before I need to put the motor back in, so I'm going to move on to replacing the rear fender aprons, and cowl.

I have to agree with the previous poster, sometimes I ask my self, what the hell am I trying to accomplish, it is much easier to buy a complete car and work extra Overtime to pay for it. But then there is that part of me that is longing for the satisfaction of rebuilding a classic. Your car looks great, and thanks for the photos....maybe its just the long Winter's in Canada.....

Bill from Ottawa

Nice build man, you have come a long ways! I hate replacing body panels, my first stang I had to replace a lot of metal. Its a lot of work to get it all reinstalled. I had thought about a 4.6 but damn I did not know it would be that tight. Can't wait to see some more updates.

Little update from the past week or so...

Started working on the rear fender aprons in the engine bay. I removed the old aprons, installed patch panels at the tops of the shock towers where there were some rust issues, then installed the new aprons...

Passenger side apron removed...

IMG_5448.jpg

Passenger side rusty section cut out, didn't take a picture of the new metal installed before putting the new apron on

IMG_5461.jpg

Driver side apron removed...

IMG_5455.jpg

Driver side patch panel installed (old rusted section next to it)

IMG_5457.jpg

Couple of pictures showing the new metal welded into the shock towers.

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

New rear aprons installed (still have to cut the holes for the fender bolts once I get the cowl installed)

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

Cut the stock rusty cowl out of the car

IMG_5466.jpg

Rust on the base of the front a pillar on the passenger side where it meets the cowl and all of the other metal pieces...

IMG_5472.jpg

What it should look like (driver side)

IMG_5468.jpg

Welded in a patch panel in place of the rust spot, then coated the lower cowl cavities with Zero Rust. That's where I'm at right now. I'll probably install the new cowl panel either tomorrow or Tuesday.