Sign in to follow this  
Wolfsburg

Exhaust recommendations?

I've been thinking about getting a new exhaust set up for my '69 coupe. The car has a 302 and is stock, for all intents and purposes. It currently has a single pipe and I would like to go with duals. Should I go to a muffler shop and have them custom fabricate something or would I be better off buying an exhaust kit and having them install it? If I go with a kit, are there any that are preferred? Magnaflow and Flowmasters seem to get good reviews.

The key thing is I want something that emphasizes that nice V8 rumble without being overly loud and obnoxious. Some people seem to mistake "sounding good" with being deafening and annoying.

Ford Racing makes Dual Mode mufflers which seem awesome. I would go with them and something like a summit exhaust.

Basically when just putting around they go through the muffler, and when you stomp on it they open a gate and become like straight pipes.

Good for low end torque with back pressure, but good for free flowing exhaust when its open.

I would also like to hear some input on Magnaflow, I have had plenty of cars with Flowmaster's and always been satisfied, but have been wondering about the Magnaflows. I had the same problem with the roar at a certain speed with Flowmasters in my Vette, but they did sound awesome. I would like to see some pics of Magnaflow exhaust if anyone has the system on there cars.

I have magnaflows on my 70 302 with Hooker Comp headers. Like the setup a lot. Fit nice - sorry no pics readily available. Car is being painted now. Bought them based on recommendation from other posts that said they sounded good when getting on them but were not too loud that you could hear tunes or carry conversation. Initally I thought they were too quiet but they have gotten a little louder the more I drove the car. Any louder it would be hard to carry conversation in car at higway speeds. Flowmasters at least the 40s were a little too loud for me. On my 351 Mach I just put some cheaper summit mufflers that I had laying around with aluminized setup I got from mustang unlimited. Am disappointed with sound (too quiet) and will probabaly swap out the mufflers if I keep the car. Moral of the story is try and hear first hand before pulling trigger - sounds is pretty subjective - someone elses preference may not be what your looking for. If you go magnaflow route may want to check around I bought mine thru an internet special that I read was stilling going on at least early last year - around $400. Unfortunately I don't have the site where I bought mine any longer

Hello,

I have Magnaflows to put on mine.

I went with them because I explained the sound I wanted, which was a nice purr that could be heard outside of the car but I didn't want to hear them inside. Based on that my brother in law, who works at a tranny/exhaust shop suggested them.

If I was going flowmasters I wanted series 50 since they had less interior noise but still had the sound.

Depending on where you are at, check out the junk yards for some used mufflers. That's were I got my pair of magnaflows for 10.00 each.

The Magnaflows are harder to find but the series 40 Flowmasters are fairly common when the mufflers have been changed.

Marc Cramer

I have Magnaflow but I'm not 100% happy with them. Inside the car they sound great, not to loud but enough you can enjoy the sound with just a nice purr at an even throttle. The downside is that on the outside they sound a little to much like glasspacks or a ski boat for my taste. I'd love the get the sound of the late model Mustang GTs I hear driving around.

Interesting insights, thanks! Does anyone have any more information about the dual mode mufflers?

I found this vid by Magnaflow on Youtube featuring a 69 Mustang:

To those of you who have Magnaflows, does this sound representative? I listened to some vids of cars with Flowmasters and most tended to sound overly raspy and grating to me. It could just be the sound quality of whatever recorded the video though.

I went with a pre made Magnaflow 2.5" Stainless Steel kit. Good idea - bad execution. The font bolted up well, the x-pipe great, the mufflers - fine but that's where it went to crap.

For the loops over the rear axle the premade SS pipes were just to tight in that it damaged the brake lines. The only way to fit was drop the sway bar which was a no go....

So today I have stainless 2.5 dual with magnaflows but aluminized pipes over the axle :whistling:

My advice - spend the money with a local shop. It will be cheaper in the long run. Find a good one that works on hot rods not the hour special ones.....

I would also like to hear some input on Magnaflow, I have had plenty of cars with Flowmaster's and always been satisfied, but have been wondering about the Magnaflows. I had the same problem with the roar at a certain speed with Flowmasters in my Vette, but they did sound awesome. I would like to see some pics of Magnaflow exhaust if anyone has the system on there cars.

Fo0und on another site I frequent. Non a 69/70 but gives some idea.

I am about 1/2 done with building my own exhaust system using the Ford dual mode/bypass mufflers. They are a 2 1/2 inch inlet and outlet, stainless (semi polished) muffler. I am installing an Air Ride suspension which lowers the car about 2 inches and because they incorporate an angled 4 bar suspension and air bag there is no room to put the pipes over the rear end and therefore am locating them under. I bring this up because the dual mode mufflers does not stagger the inlet and outlet. Both are on the same side of the ends and probably would not match up with a premade exhaust system that is made for a stock muffler that has inlet and outlet on opposite ends.

I have the 2.5" MagnaFlow SS exhaust and love it. Great sound, great performance and very easy to install contrary to Mad's experience. Mad - mine fit so well it was in and ready to roll in a couple of hours which seems strange since we have the same body style and taste....

Here's a quick clip with the turndowns. I now have 45* tips so the sound is a little more raspy and higher pitched.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/69pony

Edited by coz

I'm another 2.5" MagnaFlow SS exhaust kit user and fan. The fit is tight since the cars originally came with 2" to 2.25" systems which necked down to under two inches in places from the factory. I had to move a bracket for a brake line on the axle but the rest was pretty smooth.

I get lots of compliments on the sound. It's not too loud at idle and low speeds but really sounds off when you get on it.

2.5 MagnaFlow SS w/hooker ceramic comp headers. Mine didn't fit off the headers. Had to have an exhaust shop cut and weld the front section. Had to move brake line also. Agree with 70Mach03 on the sound and performance. I think they sound very nice.

Just thought I would let you guys know, if you're wanting Magnaflow, this is the best price I've found on it.

http://www.hottexhaust.com

Find the kit, then put it in your shopping cart.

Use the coupon code 'veedub' and you'll get a big discount (the order has to be over $500 for it to work). From what I'm seeing the 2.5" catback is $497.35, so you'll need to order something else to get it over $500. I put a $27 exhaust tip on it, then recalculated. The Total for items purchased was $524.75, a -$136.44 discount was applied, for a total of $388.32 shipped for the catback and tip together.

Thought I would let everyone know about it.

Thanks; I may take advantage of that. What kind of tips do you guys use? It's really not something I had thought a great deal about, but I think I'd want plain straight ones and not ones angled down. I would think a 3" (or 3.5") diameter, 12" long tip would be more than adequate? I don't want something that would extend too far out.

I notice on the site Chappy linked that it mentions "inlet" diameter, referring to Magnaflow tips. I assume that means the diameter where the tip meets the pipe? In other word, 2.5" pipes would require tips with a 2.5" inlet diameter, right? I assume there is no adjustment or room to fudge on this?

Edited by Wolfsburg

Did you end up buying from Hottexhaust? If so, let me know how the transaction goes. I haven't ordered mine yet (won't need it for a while, but hate to miss out on the sale).

I did. It's gone smoothly so far. They ship via Fed Ex and it should be here on Friday, according to the tracking number.