Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Automatic start

Hello. I don't post very often but I do read most posts. I have an electrical glitch that I hope you can help solve. The last time I was running my car, I could not get it to shut off. I thought the ignition switch was at fault because it was so sloppy. I replaced the ignition switch/key and the door locks and when I connected the battery, the car wanted to start by itself. I removed the ignition switch assembly and ohmed out the pins as per the chart in the maintenance manual. All checked good. I then replaced the start solenoid because there was continuity across the large contacts with the switch turned off. This was providing battery voltage to the starter (I thought). However, the new solenoid also has continuity across the large contacts. I completely disconnected the ignition switch and I still have a closed circuit across the solenoid. My manual does not have a good wiring diagram of the start circuit. Does anyone have any ideas or a location online that I can print out a wiring diagram.

I had a 77 Ford Econoline motorhome that had a very similar problem - you could turn off the ignition and take the key out and it would keep running. Additionally, if you left the ignition "on", but with the engine not running, it would occasionally engage the starter itself. Scared the crap out of me.

The problem was a melted electrical harness running to the neutral/park/starter interlock/reverse light switch in the transmission. It must have at one time laid against the exhaust manifold and was shorting out intermittently. I replaced the bad wires and that was the last of my ghost starts.