Sign in to follow this  
mid-tn-mustang

question on front valance

Hi, I am having trouble installing my lower front valance and wondering if anyone can help. Does it attach to the tabs that come off the lower frame rails? If mine is attached there then it wont attach at the hood support post or the headlight buckets. Does anyone have a picture or two of this. The shop manual as well as the brown osbourne manuals do not really have a good picture of this. Thanks, appreciate all the help

I can't say 100% sure on a 69 without looking at mine but my 70 I know for sure did not. When I put my 70 together I thought the same thing. It sure looks like it would bolt to the frame but it wouldn't fit. I done some looking and found a 70 Boss 302 concours restored car and the lower valance was about a inch or more away from the frame rail and not bolted at the bottom. I think a 69 is the same.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

thanks, that is what I think as well. They look like they are lined up pefectly with the valance to frame reail but when attached nothing else lines up. I only wish that i had taken it a little easier as I broke of my previusly cracked headlight bucket tab. Any ideas on how to fix that? Anyways, thank again

There is a bracket, ~3/4" wide by ~ 6", that connects the valance & the frame rail. It goes to the side not the front, ~90deg from the frame rail.

Mike

Edited by jmlay

There is a bracket, ~3/4" wide by ~ 6", that connects the valance & the frame rail. It goes to the side not the front, ~90deg from the frame rail.

Mike

Yea, I know the brackets your talking about. I think what he was asking about tho is in the very bottom of the valance there are two bolt holes that look like they should line up with two holes on the very front of both rails.

I only wish that i had taken it a little easier as I broke of my previusly cracked headlight bucket tab. Any ideas on how to fix that? Anyways, thank again

2 pop rivits, 1 small piece of metal and epoxy/jb-weld. It's behind the bumper so you won't see it after it's all back together but you can make it look decent with the epoxy.

Hi, I am having trouble installing my lower front valance and wondering if anyone can help. Does it attach to the tabs that come off the lower frame rails? If mine is attached there then it wont attach at the hood support post or the headlight buckets. Does anyone have a picture or two of this. The shop manual as well as the brown osbourne manuals do not really have a good picture of this. Thanks, appreciate all the help

I have just fitted my front valance with bolts that came in the AMK master body kit. Mine does bolt to the very front of the frame rails. I will try to upload photos.

thats weird. mine was just barely not close enough to bolt up and there were no brackets included in the kit... this is something i wondered about though.. hm.. oh well i guess?

CJ PONY and Mustang Unlimited sell those front valance bracket kits as shown in the pics above from littlered69stang.... between $7.95 and $10.95

Arn't those bolt holes used to mount the chin spoiler or whatever you want to call it?

I suppose my spoiler could be an incorrect part but as I recall it attached with just sheetmetal screws across the bottom.

I am surprised he got those 2 bolt holes lined up and attached. Ford never attached the front valance in 69/70 in that location. The front bumper gaurds and Boss spoiler attached at the two tabs on the front valance. That outer frame rail Assy was used from 65 to 70. The tabs were left in place rather than changing the Die's. Just my opinion.