Sign in to follow this  
hines57

Looking for interior ideas

Hey all, new guy here.

I am having a 69 sportsroof rebuilt, complete rotisserie restoration. It's going to be a restomod. I am sure the purists will be upset, but I am going to set it up with the look I like.

It will be painted in grabber orange with boss stripes, 351w with a 4 speed. I am looking for ideas on upgrading the interior to make it more modern, but nothing outrageous. I am thinking EMF white face gauge pod, aftermarket seats, maybe an aftermarket console.

So tell me any ideas you have for interiors.

Thanks

Welcome, I think you'll find that modders of some type wether they are mild or wild out weigh the purisits here so no worries there. If you aren't sold on stricktly aftermarket for the seats then in my typical fashion I'll suggest the Fiero conversion to you, it's pretty hard to come up with anything but positives on that one unless you suffer from why-dass.

Welcome, I think you'll find that modders of some type wether they are mild or wild out weigh the purisits here so no worries there. If you aren't sold on stricktly aftermarket for the seats then in my typical fashion I'll suggest the Fiero conversion to you, it's pretty hard to come up with anything but positives on that one unless you suffer from why-dass.

i'll oppose that one and suggest the Fox body seat conversion, more plentiful and easier to swap in. all you have to do is drill 2 new holes in the new seats and install the original 69 seat tracks, then just bolt them back in the car. the whole swap can be done in an hour and now that TMI is making seat covers that look original (69/70 mach 1 or 65/66 pony style) for the fox body seats you can have better and much more comfy and seats that still look like they belong there.

Thanks for the ideas. I am looking at the JME gauges (don't know where I came up with EMF). I like the console, who carries those? Anybody have a picture of one installed?

What years are the foxbody Mustangs? I do have a bit of the why-dass so that needs to be taken into account. Another concern is I am fairly tall 6'2 and the last fastback I sat in had my head rubbing on the headliner. Any way to get the seat down an inch or so?

i'll oppose that one and suggest the Fox body seat conversion, more plentiful and easier to swap in. all you have to do is drill 2 new holes in the new seats and install the original 69 seat tracks, then just bolt them back in the car. the whole swap can be done in an hour and now that TMI is making seat covers that look original (69/70 mach 1 or 65/66 pony style) for the fox body seats you can have better and much more comfy and seats that still look like they belong there.

Won't the Fox body seats actually be taller (installed) than the stock seat? The Fiero seat conversion sits about an inch lower installed. Why dass's won't like it though.

Allow me to in turn oppose your opposition then, well not really since I know you fall into my afore mentioned exception group.:whistling:

I have nothing against the fox seats mind you and I do think they are good alternative also but I really don't think it's fair to say they are that much more plentiful except that maybe their is less demand for them since every hot rodder worth his salt out there seems to covet the fiero seats or that they are that much easier to swap in. I would also question the cost of the TMI seat covers in comparison even though now that TMI offers these products it certainly does make the fox seats that much more vaible an alternative than only having custom covers as a resource. I also don't think it is fair to say they are better and much more comfy seats or that they look like they belong there any more than the fiero ones do. I have sat in both beofre, do not suffer from why-dass and think the fiero is way more comfortable with the higher side bolsters and looks better installed as well. That's just IMHO though and a few select handful I have encouraged along the way, the fact that you do gain much needed leg and head room as mikem pointed out is an added benefit as well which I prefer over the added benefit of a little more adjustability in the foxes. My biggest objection to those is the head rest, I just can't see how that foam rubber pad looks more at home in a classic even if the seat felt like I was sitting on a silk pillow made of Double D titties.

I added a pic of my fiero's and your foxes just so others reading can have a little more to go by when considering which of these both viable options might work best for their needs.

Interior_005.sized.jpg

FIERO

my_car_seats.sized.jpg

FOX

well the headrests on my seats were only used for about 3 years, 84-86, starting in 87 they used an actual normal style headrest and there were 3 variations on those, so you have a really good choice of headrest styles. personally i'll be swapping to the shortest style that was used starting in 91 or so. the fox body seats actually offer about an inch or so more leg room than the stock seats too, the fiero seats sit about 2-3 inches lower than stock which is just too low for me, i'm short 5'10", so the fox body seats actually work just right for me even with the 15" mustang II sport wheel. also since i like to hang my arm out the window the fox body seats are at just about the right height for my arm to comfortable, actually the stock seats were the most comfortable in that respect but the fox are still comfy. when i was saying that the fox seats were more comfy i was referring to the stock seats not the fiero seats, however the fox seats are more comfy to me than the fiero's but that's just my opinion in that case.

Thanks for the ideas. I am looking at the JME gauges (don't know where I came up with EMF). I like the console, who carries those? Anybody have a picture of one installed?quote]

Here are several pics with the Humphugger installed.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1?page=11

You can get them at about any aftermarket store - NPD, CJ Pony, Virginia Mustang, etc... There are several types. The one in my Mach is the full lentgh version.