Sign in to follow this  
maleah

Power steering help

just installed a complete stock power steering system on my 69. hooked up all hoses, pitman arm, and pump. Put in about 3/4 of a quart of ATF trans fluid in pump aNd started up. Immediatly the wheel turned it self completly to drivers side untill it couldnt turn anymore. IT IS EXTREMLY HARD TO TURN to the drivers side. I continued to slowly fill the pump housing. After about 45 seconds i reached down and felt the pump housing and it was schorching hot. turned off car. Rechecked lines. getting fluid out of main hose from crontrol valve. Ok. any ideas as to why this is not working properly? since the hoses are different sizes that fit into the control valve i dont think they are crossed. the larger of the two hoses and fitting in the control valve goes to the main fitting valve in the center of the pump housing. is that correct? the smaller of the fittings on the control valve goes to the return fitting on the bottom of the pump correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

well some info first...the car is up on stands with the wheels off. i just replaced every old suspension part from the perches to to control arms. I also replaced my drum break assembiles to new disc assemblies. could this have something to do with the stiffiness? should i be able to move the wheel with one hand? how do iget airout of the system? i really appreciate your replies as it is saving me alot of time and headachs.!

There is an adjustment on the control valve that will make the steering equal in both directions. There is a nut under the cap on the end (1/2 inch wrench). It only takes a little adjustment so go a 1/4 turn at the time. Make sure you put the cap back on before you test each time until it's right.

After following everyones advice i finiallygolt the steering to work! Initially the 2 hoses were crossed and then i ajusted the 1/2 nut under the cap so the steering turned eaisly both ways instead of one. Again thank you for your responses and the help! now im just stuck with the small leaks which is my next project!

Just to add to the post after the fact. I've found the best way to work the play, bubbles and stiffness out is to place cardboard under the front tires and as a buddy continues to pour the fluid in you slowly turn the steering wheel from bump to bump. The cardboard allows the tires to turn without stress or tearing up the garage floor.

With the wheels off the ground, you should be able to turn the wheel with one finger if the engine is running. I had the same problem with extreme stiffness driving down the road after I replaced my power steering control valve with a "brand new" after market one. I sent it back for a replacement and the replacement was the same. I rebuilt my stock one and problem solved.

There is also an adjustment to center the control valve fluid pressure. As i recall, there are two screws that hold on the cap. Once this is removed you see a nut that is turned in or out to adjust the pressure. I'm not near my manuals right now so i can't be more specific about how to adjust properly.

The air {if any} should work its way out by itself with use. I just put a new pump and replaced all the hoses and rebuilt the control module myself. With my car on the ground you can steer it with one finger. It had "hard spots" in the steering until I drove it about 1 mile. All the air worked it's way out and steers great ever since. Good luck and merry Christmas to everyone