Sign in to follow this  
jnet4jt

First resto, any advice

Here's a link to the shop that is doing the work on her. Hopefully By the time I get back from this deployment I will be able to pick her up. The link only has about 4 pics but she's starting to look like a car again.

http://www.lawlesshotrods.com/id62.html

looks like they are making good progress! front clip is done as well as the floor pans... get home safe!

Just a quick update. The folks at lawless are done with replacing the whole front from the upper cowl and fire wall out to the radiator support, new one pice floor pan, front and rear torque boxes, and as they said any rust that was left in the trunk area. They also repaired the front passanger side where it had been hit before I bought it. The PO fixed it with bondo and seam sealer to attach a couple pices of sheet metal to cover some rather large holes. I haven't seen any pics other than what is on their website so hopefully I didn't get screwed. I have seen some of their work (wich looks real good) and they seem like they know what they are doing. so far the bill for what they have done adds up to just a tiny bit over $5K. They should be droping it off by the house and hopefully I can get the wife to send me some good pics.

Edited by jnet4jt

with that 5k did you furnish all the parts? and they're doing just the labor? Are they painting it for you too? I know someone that took a firebird to them to paint and do very little body work to, they wanted about 10k just to paint it. I ended up doing the body work and he gotten someone else to paint it.

I supplied most of the parts. I don't know if I will have them paint it or not. I will have to see what they gave me back to see if their worth it. Since I'm still deployed and spent what I had saved up on the work they did, it's not going to get painted for a long time. I will spray primer when I get home to prevent anything else from rusting.

Does anyone know of someone or had experience with this shop? I checked the better business bureau before I let them have her and didn't really see anything bad about them. :001_unsure:

Are their any body shops you guys would recommend for paint? I'm in NW Florida.

I supplied most of the parts. I don't know if I will have them paint it or not. I will have to see what they gave me back to see if their worth it. Since I'm still deployed and spent what I had saved up on the work they did, it's not going to get painted for a long time. I will spray primer when I get home to prevent anything else from rusting.

Just in regards to primer. Make sure you get a primer that is also a sealer. Alot of primers (in fact most, etch primer for example) are porous and in time will allow rust to form. Just make sure the paint shop knows you intend to leave it sit long term so they can give you the right primer for the job.

It depends on what you are painting the car with Acrylic Enamel, Acrylic Lacquer or Two Pack Enamel. Acrylic Laquer is very reactive to enamels so is not suitable to be painted over any sort of enamel base/primer/sealer. However enamels are not very particular about what you spray them on.

I would be inclined to ask the paint shop and they should have something for your application. You will just need to find one that has experienced staff.

Too bad you aren't in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. I have a friend that owns a body shop/ classic car restoration/ used car lot. Actually his father owns it and he runs it. He has done some great work for me in the past. I'll be moving back there when my wife retires and I'll have him paint my Mach. He is honest and does great work. He also will use the barter system if you have something to trade. Great guy. He also paints motorcycles and you know how particular Harley guys are! His name is Brad Mackie. His number is (941) 637-6166. Get in touch with me and I'll talk with him before you call, that way he knows who gave the recommendation and he will treat you right.

Really enjoyed the photos, I have a number of them with my kids in them, and now 6 years later it is cool to look back and see how small they were and how involved they are in the rebuild project. You are progressing well.

Have a good Holiday Season.

Bill from Canada

Yep, I think it's great. I've got some pictures of my two boys turning wrenches on a friends heads too (I was replacing 4 bent valves for her). They thought it was the coolest thing. Every time I ask if they want to help me work on the stang they both get excited and start fighting over who gets what tool. Maybe they'll stay into it and I can help work on projects with them when they get older:001_smile:.

Just a quick update. She's back in my garage and has all four wheels again!:thumbup: These are what the wife sent me. She took them with her phone so they're not all that great.

It's killing me not being able to check it out myself.

The shop asked if i could get them all the old parts for the dash area and fenders to make sure everything fits like it is supposed to. that's why they're sitting inside the car in the photos.

It's back in my garage. She did make one trip for me to take the parts to the shop when they were putting the front end back together. Hell, it was her idea and she was the one who bought the car for me during my first trip to Iraq (I payed for it but it is the thought that counts. Right?)

Ditched the drip rails, welding and grinding the seam for a smooth finished look. Hopefully I can finish it up this coming weekend. It is taking a lot longer to trim them than I thought it would. Hopefully I looks good when it's done.

Yep, I haven't been able to get anything else done since I took the picture and it looks like I won't be able to for another couple weeks (kids b-days and other family stuff takes priority). After I grind down the welds as smooth as much as I can, I plan on getting some All Metal to finish it all off. Does anyone have any experience using this stuff. I know it has been around for years, I've just never used it and was wondering if it would hold up better than body filler? I'm trying to avoid using bond if possible. After I finish up the drip rails I will start on the trunk area/wheel wells. After that all I have is to fit the doors and hood then get ready for paint. Feels good to be making progress again.:001_smile:

Yep, I haven't been able to get anything else done since I took the picture and it looks like I won't be able to for another couple weeks (kids b-days and other family stuff takes priority). After I grind down the welds as smooth as much as I can, I plan on getting some All Metal to finish it all off. Does anyone have any experience using this stuff. I know it has been around for years, I've just never used it and was wondering if it would hold up better than body filler? I'm trying to avoid using bond if possible. After I finish up the drip rails I will start on the trunk area/wheel wells. After that all I have is to fit the doors and hood then get ready for paint. Feels good to be making progress again.:001_smile:

use body filler and nothing more, its just as strong and more pliable. if you use the other stuff who knows if it'll react to the paint could probably blister and and you would have a problem.

Glad everything is working out for you!

Just ordered all the pieces for the transition pan and trunk floor pan. I will be ordering the pieces for the wheel wells in a couple months. To save on cost I am ordering everything separate instead of all put together. After all that is in all I have left is the hood, doors, and tail light panel. That will take care of all the sheet metal. Looking at geting ready for paint in a couple months.

Finally some good luck. The frame rails under the transition pan are in really good shape. Next to remove is the trunk floor. Hope everything looks good under them as well.