Sign in to follow this  
jnet4jt

First resto, any advice

Here goes nothing. Just got started on tearing the car down to get ready for meadia blasting. Wonder what kinda stuff we'll find. I've already found some poor repair job and painted over rust. Wish me luck

Here are some pics of what it looks like now. I'll upload some more in the next day or so. A little more info about the car. It was originally a plain fast back. The only option was the sports apperance group, not 100% sure but I think it included the color mirrors and side stripe. The more I take the car apart the more I'm finding. Surprisingly The wife hasn't thrown me out yet. Got one question, what is the best way to prep the car for stripping. I'm going to have the entire car stripped and then fix the big stuff they find. Also does any one have any idea how much it cost for something like that?

Thanks,

Josh

Edited by jnet4jt

Next time beyond pictures -I'll use a video camera! Describe what you are taking off and how, it will go on that much easier!

Good idea, just wish i had a video camera. Although now that I'm thinking about it I think my camera does do video.

I would have to agree with pictures, pictures, pictures. If you dont have a video camera, use a digital pics and use photshop or paint to add notes later to remember certain things about the picture. I remember taking pictures when there wasn't such things as digital cameras and having to have them developed to reference back to them. The major thing I have learned in restoring and or fixing cars is do not cut corners, it might save money in the beginning but inevitably you will end up doing right and spending more money that you would have it you would have done it right in the first place. Last but not least, pace yourself, I have known alot of people that have got burned out on a project and never finished it or ended up selling the car because they got sick of messing with it because they went hog wild on it all at once.

Found more stuff. Got some cracks where the rear struts mount through the under side sheet metal. Also some cracks where the tunnel goes into the rear forward panel of the trunk. Any one seen this before and if so what did you do to fix it. I'll have pics as soon as i get my own computer to connect to the internet again. Also has anyone used phosphoric acid to treat rust before?

Got it mostly torn apart. only thing left is to pull the engine and trans then off it goes to media blast or have it dipped. Does anyone have any preference to a rotisserie or having the car dipped

my best advise for a resto mod is to decide what you really want to use the car for. no sense spending all your time and money building a quarter mile monster when the closest strip is 1000 miles away and you are surrounded by beautiful twisty winding country roads. and keep your plans within your budget, to many projects die because people WANT 800 hp but can only afford 500 right now. plan for the future,solid foundation today flash tomorrow.

I have to agree, remember ther eis no quick fix, don't cut corners and do it right the first time, because it will be something that comes back an haunts you in the end, and cost triple the price than if you did it right the first time.

Bill

Just trying to have a very solid daily driver. It currently has a 302 2V and C4 trans. Have a little over a few hundred miles on them. Keeping them for a while. So is media blasting better?

Got more pics. There is a little trim left, brake lines, and doors to remove and she will be going to get blasted next weekend. If everything works out right. Most of the suspension is still attached just because I don't have any where to put it and no way to get it to the shop if I remove it. If anyone can see anything that I can do to help cut the cost of blasting please let me know. I've only got about 3K to work with between blasting priming and fixes. I have no idea how far it will go.:scared: I'll post more pics in a bit.

A little late, but I would of suggested bag and tag all hardware for where and what it went to on the car. You might remember, but if for some reason the project gets the boot, its a easier sell to the next guy. Wish I had a helper like you got! Only other suggestion is it takes a lot longer to put it back together than it took to take it apart!

Yep, I rembered to bag and tag a little late but better late than never i guess. Most of the hard ware is rusting out, got it soaking in wd40 to clean as much of it as I can. Does any one know if anybody makes a kit to replace every pice of rubber on the car (weatherstripping and seals)?

Yea, all the repo companys, I liked CJs Pony Parts,( If its a repo part on our car thats where it came from) you'll hear of others, offer the weather stripping for every place that needs it on the car.

As far as the non bagged or tagged items, there are some on here that can tell you where every bolt, nut and screw goes. Thats not a joke, hell I started with a stang that some one else demoed and left me with boxs of stuff to bolt back on. I could not have even started with out the help offered on this site!

From the pics, you got a preety nice peice to start with!

Edited by d.reese

Gonna be a beauty when she's all done. Mine's getting new metal in the tail end after a loooong wait to save up some funds. Mustangs Unlimited has a kit that has every piece of weather stripping, think it's a little over $500 (for the convertible at least). I'll be getting to that point maybe later in the year after paint.

Ed

Thanks for the info. I checked out CJs Pony parts and priced everything. looks like it will cost about $630 through them. I'll check out Mustangs Unlimited as well.:biggrin: