Sign in to follow this  
jnet4jt

First resto, any advice

Thanks and happy turkey day to you and yours. Finally figured out how to resize the pictures. I'm not that good with computers. The blue valve covers don't fit. I just put them on to keep the dust out. I did get the push rods delivered and installed today. Ran them through and rocker geometry is good to go. If you look close in the pictures you can see the play doh in the back ground that I used to check valve to piston clearance. tomorrow I will need to trim off the top of the header flange and install the bung for the O2 sensor.

BTW--- If you don't want to cut the original valve covers and weld the 1" add-on you mentioned, several Mustang vendors sell a bolt on spacer that actually looks pretty nice. I used 'em on my green GT and they work just fine. I have Harland Sharp full roller rockers and they didn't clear the finned aluminum Motor Sport valve covers. The spacers work well. You will have to get another set of valve cover gaskets to seal 'em up though. Just a thought. Looking good with engine work -- keep it up.

Thanks for the tip. I looked some up and they seem to be just as expensive as a new set of covers. I found some covers that look like they will work nicely for just a tad more than the spacers. More progress last night on the engine. The headers had to be trimmed just a tad so that the top of the flange would sit flat against the exhaust ports. Also had to install a heli-coil in the passenger side head so I could install the power steering pump bracket. It wasn't stripped but rather the hole was 5/8", a little to large.

Next up is going to be the a/c and alternator brackets. Does anyone have any pictures of these installed on a 351w?

Rebuilt the third member last night. I only had to change the shims once to get the right pattern on the marking compound. Back lash took a few minutes longer. I ended up swapping out 2.79 for 3.55 and yukon trace loc. I plan on doing road trips with her and didn't want to run at to high of rpm but wanted better off the line than the 2.79. BTW if anyone wants a 2.79 ring and pinion set for an 8" I know where they can find one for cheap. Also got my passenger outer rocker and rear quarter this past week and I'm on leave from work so I'm going to try and install every thing before I head to San Antonio for christmas.

took some pics with the new valve covers and what was behind the rear quarter. I already have the new rocker. The only thing I'm worrying about is the pin holes on the sheet metal that the striker plate mounts to. I bought a sand blaster to clean up the rest of the rust in the pics. Also, I have to reposition the mounts for the 4-link. After the alignment shop fixed everything the rear passenger side is about a half inch high.

Well I had a little brain fart today. I was welding on the inside of the driver side rear wheel well and it was a little to close to the tire and the next thing I heard was a loud pop and the sound of a tire deflating.:oops:

Finally took a vacation and figured i'd say disney world is freakin awesome. I think I might be having a better time than the kids. Also, just a fyi fort wilderness is a great cheap place to stay.

Finished sand blasting and priming the car today. Now hopefully it's not another six months before I can get some more done on it. The first pick is only the starting point for the day. I finished blasting it then primed her before the sun went down. I think I'll have to have a shop spray the color. I'm getting to much moisture at the gun.

what media did you use to blast it with? and where did you get it from? I live over in Pensacola, and can't find any sand around here. Theres a pit here that used to sell sand for blasting but won't sell it anymore.

I blasted the bottom of my car with coal slag. I got it at Harbor Freight. They're starting to carry multiple types of blasting media to include aluminum oxide, walnut shell, soda and glass beads.

While sand is cheap, it's not a good idea to blast with it at home. It has silica in it which is very dangerous for you and anyone around you.

sorry for the late reply. I used aluminum oxide, coal slag and sand. the aluminum oxide is much better. Try to cover up all holes and crevasses. It is tuff to get everything out.

Having worked in a coal mine just thinking about using it makes me cringe. Coal finds its way into everything and tuff to clean properly while I imagine baking soda isn't much different. I like the thought of glass beads.

Well… after trying my hand at body work and sanding it turned out kinda crapy. I hate to admit it but I'll have to have someone who knows what the hell they're doing. Sucks, more money.

Got the Globalwest negative role front suspension installed. I'll post some pics in a few. I think it turned out pretty nice. I can't wait to try it out. hopefully by the end of the year it will be all done and on the road!:clap:

Finally have most of the interior brackets welded and installed. after doing that I sprayed the Heat and noise reducer. the stuff dries pretty hard. I hope it doesn't flake off.