Sign in to follow this  
02Lightning

What do you think I would run in the ¼?

Is this the 428 4spd in your sig? Is that RW or FW on the dyno? Type of tires? Without knowing your driving skill or the answers to the above I can only make a total WAG of low to mid 13's and probably topping out at 105mph.

Yes, the one in the sig. it was on a chassis dyno so that would be at the rear wheels, and on 265 BFG street tires. The last time I ran my Lightning I cut a .6 light and a 1.8 60 ft. on street tires but that was an auto. But I think I'm pretty handy with a 4-speed. The dyno guy said to add 20% for flywheel hp so that would be around 415hp.

With BFGs and a 4 speed I'm going to put you in the mid to high 13's right at 100mph. Ditch those BFGs for MT ET streets and you could take .2 ~.4 off easy maybe more.

I question your dyno guys 20% remark. Usually a stick takes 10~15% off max and autos around 20%. And no knock but a .6 reaction time is called "sleeping at the line". Ideally you want it to start with .0xx. A good 60 foot time is sub 1.6's.....

Regardless you need to take it to the track and strap in. I've yet to make it there myself but all my buddies go weekly and I go with them. I've seen too many cars go boom on the track that I'm very leery about running my car. Funny - you would be surprised what people think they will run and what they really do run.

I wasn’t brag’in on my times I was saying what they were to give you guys an idea. I’m pretty reluctant to take my car to the track also after all the blood sweat and tears I have in it. I think I’m more afraid of someone hitting me than winding it out.

certainly was not meant as a rag... The lights are real tough at times. I used to run my 1st Mach south of Orlando and was all over the place. I did get a triple 0 once. Looked good on the slip...

At the track this year I've seen countless nice cars blow engines, tag walls, drop drivetrains and break axles. And many of them had good drivers and strong setups. The one that sticks in my mind is a 71 Challenger blowing the engine and then sliding down the wall for 200 yds. Very sad....

Edited by coz

I didn't think you meant it as anything by it. I've run all my other vehicles, just afraid to run this one. Are those numbers at the crank on your car?

Flywheel - I had it dynoed by my builder. We got it to 603hp but I didn't like 38* total timing. When we were dynoing it the noise and vibration in the small room made me physically sick. Here I am so happy to have a beast of an engine and could hardly hold down my lunch. I felt weird for several hours.

Here's a quick video of the 587hp pull....

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/110_1085

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/110_1077

Edited by coz

It was recommended not to go above 34* total - I'm at 35* now. It's a bitch to start with 10.7:1 compression. I'm looking at the MSD boxes that drop timing back (retard) when starting.

yeah it's fun to romp on but I am overcarbed right now so I'm thinking about playing with different carbs. I am thinking big block some day soon so this engine and accessories may be for sale soon.

I'm running 13.5's @ 103 with 325rwhp on 245 street tires. I only have 3:25 gears. You should run low 13's The hardest part is getting out of the hole. I was scared to run my car to. Just shift at no more than 5,500 rpm. These motors are only good till 5,200 to 5,500 rpm. Numbers from the time slip: 60ft 2.099, 330-5.794, 1/8-8.775 @ 81.89, 1000ft-11.336, 1/4-13.52 @ 103mph

Hope this helps,

Tim

You should be just fine. The gears should make a big difference. Plus you have ported aluminium heads lightweight and better flowing. 13's is very respectable for theses big cars. I think you could hit the 12's with some sticky street radials!!!! Any more HP and they are not very street-able. The best part is when you light them up though 1st,2nd and bark 3rd on the street. A good looking car with some nuts gets a lot of respect on the street. Keep us posted on your runs. Where ya located ?

Edited by Mufflerbearing