Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Door lock cylinder replacement

Um, this is embarrassing. Today, I'm standing in the driveway about ready to hand the proverbial keys to my son to drive his Mustang down to a friends for the very first time and I realize that we somehow managed to lose the door key over the course of the year since this thing arrived.

(I have a separate trunk key as I replaced that lock already).

So, my question today is:

Is it feasible to have a key made for the existing door cylinders or is it more cost-effective to just replace the lock cylinders in the door?

I'm kind of sheepish about tearing the door panels off (again), but if I must, I'll do it. Oh, and a related question:

How hard is it to replace these? The trunk like was simple as pie, but I'm not sure about the doors.

To finish my story, I sent my boy down the driveway with strict instructions to not lock his car!

Tom

I just went through the door lock change so the ignition key would also lock the doors. Removing the door panel is not really that tough and then you can take out the cylinders have them re-keyed - my local locksmith charged $6.00/lock to make the changes. There is a good article in this month Mustang Monthly on changing locks - read it so you don't lose some of the little parts down inside the door.

that's exactly what i would do. remove the lock cylinders and take them to a locksmith and have them re-keyed to match the ignition key.

edit: you can also buy a pin kit and re-key them yourself. it's not hard to do but it would probably cost more to buy the kit than to have a locksmith do it.