Sign in to follow this  
Mufflerbearing

Launching The car

Hello, I'm getting ready to run my Mach 1 at the local drag strip. I'm going to run the car one day with just street tires, then with M/T street radials a few days later. The car is a close ratio four speed Top loader. My other car I race is Auto with a modern suspension and easier to launch. Besides launching in Second gear can any one recommend an RPM for launching on street tires and cheater slicks.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, hopefully you’ll get more than one run in to experiment. Of course it depends on your gears, tires, track conditions, weather, and so forth as you well know.

I’d probably “walk†that 428 torque monster at of the hole at 1500 rpms to start with and then see if it bogged or boiled the tires. After that I’d adjust my rpm’s up or down accordingly and I'm sure you'll be smelling clutch before the day is over (LOL). :whistling:

Have fun and let us know what you did. Is Chris M taking his there too?

You know, these cars are so light shouldn't take too much to spin and develope a good wheel hop if no traction bars and its stock springs? Slicks or street once that happens the brain will tell the foot its enough. Heck our 351 4barrel fmx single track brakes loose preety easy. I can only envy you on the muscle under that hood.

Have fun and keep the sanity! At least your testing not racing where the foot rules over the brain, Ha Ha!