Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

69 Coupe door glass trim - a question of fit

Hey Gents,

Despite hours of effort, I just can't make a good fit between the door and 1/4 glass weatherstripping. There's an oh-so-small-but-totally-significant gap between the two and I just don't know what other adjustments I can make.

I've replaced the rubber with new aftermarket stuff (VA Mustang) today.

I've jimmied around with the 1/4 glass roller brackets though I don't know if the front glass can be "adjusted" much. The gap is small (like 1/16th of an inch), but it's just enough to let in water from a good washing. Seems like a bummer to come this far and have that.

It would be awesome if the rubber strip was WIDER. It would forgive more sins.

Just wondering what folks have done about this, if they've encountered similar issues.

Tom

p.s. I've replaced ALL the weatherstripping, the felts, the rubber, everything.

I'm sure that somewhere down the line that some previous owner had to reglue the windows and it's possible that they did not do it correctly. I think there are a total of 4 adjustment screws on the front window and possibly 5 on the rear and it takes alot of tinkering and fussing if you haven't tried them all yet.

I take it you had no issue removing the stainless trim from your parts car to the other? If it is just a 16th of an innch maybe you can cheat and pull the trim away from the edge a little?

Hi Tom. Pak is right, there are adjustments to make the glass slide forward or backward and tilt in or out at the front and back. On the bottom of your door are two bolts. I think these are the ones that will help in your situation as they allow for in and out tilt. It sounds like you need just a little more tilt inward at the back.

You need to take the door panel off so you can see the vertical window guides and be able to move it with your hand when you loosen the bolts. Lossen the bottom bolt closest to the door opening, push the bottom of the guide toward the outside door skin just a little, tighten the bolt while holding the guide in place, shut the door and see if it was enough. You may have to loosen the other bottom bolt to get the adjustment you need but try just the back one first. You may want to mark the original adjustment in case you need to start over. I will try to find some pictures or diagrams if you need a visual before you try.

hey Tom, is your weatherstrip and trim piece on the back of the front window or the front of the back window? I ask because there is a difference in the weatherstrip. if it's on the back of the front window it is indeed the correct piece for 69 but if it's one the front of the 1/4 window it's for a 70 model, it will work fine on the 69 but the rubber weatherstrip piece is different, it also the same piece used on 71-73 mustangs/cougars as well

hey Tom, is your weatherstrip and trim piece on the back of the front window or the front of the back window? I ask because there is a difference in the weatherstrip. if it's on the back of the front window it is indeed the correct piece for 69 but if it's one the front of the 1/4 window it's for a 70 model, it will work fine on the 69 but the rubber weatherstrip piece is different, it also the same piece used on 71-73 mustangs/cougars as well

I've been wondering how he made out on this for over 3 years now, hope he finally chimes in! :stuart:

Heck I thought the small gap there was supposed to be there. It looked to me like the weatherstrip got old and shrunk back, and even the stangs I remember from the late 80s had the gap. Only thing was when rinsing/washing you made sure to rinse front to back, then it really didn't leak. I don't recall air noise really either. I hope he chimes in as I may have to reset the window/weatherstrip if he got his worked out.