Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

Well here I go. I haven't done a resto in years. I'm starting on my 69 vert. According to the VIN it was built in San Jose with a 351w (M Code 4V) The drivers door has been replaced in the past and,of course, they didn't migrate the data plate. So I don't know for sure what the specs are from the factory. I have contacted Ford and am awaiting my 999 report.

As for the power train I am considering 3 options...

1-Rebuild the factory 351W (290-330hp)

2-Ford Racing 315W (400hp)

3-Ford Racing Boss 302(340hp)

It would be cool to have a Boss 302 vert !! But I aqm still undecided. And as always, mney is a deciding factor!!

So here are some starting pics. I've already found some suprises, both good and bad. Seems some shoddy body work was done in the past. But all in all the car is very solid.

Comments, ideas and advise are greatly appreciated.

Edited by flight96

AHA !! Black instrument panel and pass. side without a clock ! (see my questions elsewhere on the forums)

I am just getting started on mine as well. Our cars are similar -mine: San Jose built 351w 2v / FMX., dlx interior/rim blow/tilt/pdb, etc. Marti report shows 1 of 22 with this paint/trim, etc.

Nice to see another '69 Dlx vert on the comeback trail !! I'm pondering some of the same questions as you also- but I think since the car is kinda rare, I won't do anything that isn't a bolt on change, and I'll keep all the original stuff. I want to drive it and enjoy it, so I think some engine upgrades and an AOD swap are in my future, along with a gear change from the stock 2.75 rear. I will strip and repaint in correct winter blue and replace the black top- keeping a nearly stock appearance, save for the magnum wheels. Nothing radical - I have a '66 coup for that :)

Best wishes on your project- and have fun !

JPZ

OK, Just a quick update...

I will post some more pics tomorrow, too tired tonight, I just wanna have a drink...or 5....I got all the inner fenders and the drivers side torque box cut out. I'm sure my neighbors are really loving the sound of that air hammer and grinder !!

The inner fenders came off fairly easy. The torque box was a bit of a pain in the a$$.

Next the motor comes out...Wish me luck !!

Edited by flight96
I was drunk when I first posted...Needed to fix the spelling. :-)

OK,

Apparently I had a camera malfunction. No big deal though. I can take more pics at any time. Here are a few from the past few days. Starting tomorrow the engine gets ripped out...Pics to follow.

Hey Bill !! How's Ottawa ? I'll be out there this winter. Hopefully I'll get to skate the canal !! Great to meet a fellow Canadian on the forum !! I'm out here in lotus land...Victoria.

Edited by flight96

My auto dark welding helmet finally arrived today !!! Woohoo... I can finally start to do some practice welding. I haven't welded much in the past. So I figure I'll do some playing around before actually welding on the car.

3 of the 4 inner fenders arrived today !! They look to be good quality. 2 are from Scott Drake. Parts are starting to get more expensive here in Canada. Our dollar is taking an a$$ kicking making cross boarder shopping 20 to 30% more expensive.:scared:....

I've started to strip the passenger side torque box after removing the inner fenders on that side. At first look it seemed to look good. But after a little more grinding on the underside of the box, it became apparent there had been some seriously shoddy work done in the past. There was about 2 inches of bondo over what looked like a spray in foam that hardened. I just don't get why people do this kind of work !!

You are progressing quickly with your convertible. I bought mine last Winter in Calgary and had it shipped. The car is originally from Maple Ridge BC. Small world it is, as I have family in Victoria and go and visit regularily. Th elast time I was there, I say a guy driving a 68 California Special that appears to be his everyday driver....I was almost in tears.

Thanks for the photos, keep them coming. You can see mine at "to build or not to build" thread.

Bill from Ottawa, and yes there is snow on the ground....

Edited by unfrozen1969
spelling error

I almost bought a white 68 GT/CS when I bought the vert. It looked OK until ya got under it. It was T-Boned, thedoor post and lower sill was really bend badly. The engine was not a numbers matching engine. It was supposed to be a 289 but someone had put in a 351W and changed the tranny to an auto. So I decided on the Vert.

As for progress, I pulled the engine and tranny out this weekend. I am storing it in my other shop until Im ready for the re-build. I have decided to rebuild the original one. If my budget allows I will go for some alluminum heads/intake. I'll be hoping to get between 320-350HP. Plenty enough for a daily driver. The only thing I may change is the trans. I may go to a C6. If not I will have to get the one I have re-enforced. Im not sure if the one I have is an FMX or C4.

As for the body work, I am hoping to start on the engine bay tonight. I really wish I could find torque boxes for this thing. I can't start on the floors until I have the boxes changed. In the mean time I will start on the engine bay.

I will post some pics tonight after I get home from work....

And Bill...Sorry to hear about the snow....I'm going golfing tomoroow.:whistling:

Well I didn't get to golf today:frown:...It was raining....Typical Victoria...Oh well, I'm playing hockey tomorrow night !!

As for the car, I try to get a couple of hours a day on it at least. Tonight I started to clean the 40 years of road grunge and oil leaks from the front end. Some of the grunge in a couple of inches thick. The great news is, the frame is very solid. Just surface rust. All the steering/suspension parts are also very solid. Though I will probably be changing most of it, I'm happy to see how good it is.

So that brings me to a question. How hard is it to replace the complete front steering/suspension on these ? It looks fairly basic. I guess I should ask this in a different thread......

Oh...Gas here is still 107.9.....The least they could do is kiss me while they F_ _ _ me !!! :-(

Edited by flight96

Well it aint much but its a first. I finally put something back on the car. The tops of the shock towers were rusted through so I cut the rusted parts off and made new pieces out of 12 gauge steel. This would be my first attempt at wire feed welding. I have done a few practice welds to get the hang of it, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

OK,

So I was happy with the results of the shock tower welds so I took on my next welding project. The RH fender has some small rust area on the very front of the fender. The LH fender needs to be replaced but has some good metal on it. So I used that fender to cut out some steel to fix the left fender. Welding this was a little more tricky as it is quit a bit thinner steel than the 12 gauge shock tower. I did blow a few holes in the fender but I was able to fill them with welds. When it was all done it came out surprisingly well.

More parts are supposed to arrive today (Both torque boxes and firewall to floor pan extensions.) Hopefully I can start working on the floors. I have the RH side all cut out but I can't do anything until I get the torque box.

OK....

Why is it nothing is ever easy with these cars ? My parts showed up this morning and none of them are the right parts. The torque boxes are for a coupe/fastback and the firewall extensions are for a 64-68 coupe. Apparently there is not a lot of sheet metal made specifically for a 69-70 vert. It seems every part I get I have to modify!

Is anybody else running into this problem ? Or should I send this stuff back and try to find 69 parts ?

I feel for you. I have not gone through that part of my rebuild yet. The question you have to ask yourself is, how soon do you want this car on the road. Can you wait for the right parts, or do you make the incorrect one's fit. It also depends upon how authentic you want your car to be. It may seem like the easy thing to do now, but later on, once you are near completion, you may regret taking the short cut. Personally I would go with using 69 parts, they are out there, it just takes some time to find them. 69 convertibles are rare, and your quest is to find the all of the parts for your car, that is the fun part of the journey.

Best of luck,

Bill from freekin cold Ottawa...

I gave back the torque boxes and did find the correct vert ones. The only thing missing is the hole for the E-Brake and the E-Brake tube. I kept the tube and will sand blast it and re-use it. As for the firewall extensions, I can't find them anywhere. I may have to mod the ones I have. I will keep looking, but I really want to have the floors in this weekend. For that to happen I need to have the torque boxes and firewall extensions in place.

I still need to fabricate 2 pieces for the lower inside rockers. Their fairly small and will be easy to make.

Oh and it's 15c here today...Sorry Bill....:tongue:

Edited by flight96
To taunt cold Easterner

Well I have made a bit of progress this weekend. One Torque box is installed, I've dry fit the drivers side floor to where Im happy with the fit. Working on a vert sure can be a pain in the ass !!

I've also found another surprise from the last person to work on this car !! Apparently a frost scrapper is a good way to hold a window regulator in place !!! :scared:

Edited by flight96

I also finished the body work on the fender and sandblasted the headlight pots. Then I etch primed them. They all came out very good !!

Oh...And Bill....Yes that is outside...It was so nice out I was working outside ! Notice the green grass !!

Edited by flight96

Nice progress there.

What confuses me is, what the hell do you need an ice scrapper for in Victoria.

Your photos look great, but you may need to adjust the angle of your shots, so that you can have the benefits of the sun. Oh ya, I forgot, you are into the 90 days of doom and gloom weather.

I like the color you chose, it will hide the color of the moss that will be growing on your ride......

And uh, no, it has not snowed yet....

Bill from Ottawa

I was hoping it would tell me what gears the rear end had. Anyone have an idea? Also, is the FMX trans a keeper or should I get a C4 ?

All these questions, sooooooooo many choices......Oh the humanity:scared: !!!

Any comments are appreciated !!!