Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

1969 mach front turn signal lights

Good evening everyone, My car came with no front turn signal lights that mount to the front bumper. I have purchased 2 new complete light assemblies from virginia mustang. I got ready to install them this past weekend and they just flat don't fit!!! The 2 hole pattern lines up but to sit properly in the valance I would have to space the light bracket down about a whole inch. As you know the valance can only bolt to a specific location so what is going on??? Has anyone had this problem?? Do you believe they are just a cheap aftermarket?? I have had very good results with everything I have purchased from them in the past. About $3,000 worth of stuff. Please give me any suggestions that might help or advise. Thanks, James

Assuming you're talking about PakRat's parking/indicator lights, I just installed mine last night and the fit isn't great, let me tell you. I think it's just a combination of an imprecise design with the front valance not fitting perfectly, the bumper arms not fitting perfectly, etc.

Both of my coupes have a slight "bend" in the bracket of the parking lamp assembly to accommodate this crappy fit. It looks like they put it in a vice and bent it about 15 degrees "upward". If the bracket was just flat, the lamps would not sit right in the valance.

As it is, I still have to jimmy the valance a bit just to get to one of the screw holes in the face of the lamp.

In short, I don't believe a perfect fit is in the cards. So long as the lamp is visible and you can get to the face plate to replace the inevitable bulb, you're ahead of the game.

My $.02,

Tom

I had the same problem when I removed mine to clean up - new bulbs - reinstall. The bracket is a lousy fit - you need to take it off - bend - install - take-off - bend - install - etc.

Good luck

Are you saying that just by removing and cleaning your originals that they suddenly didn't fit back like they did prior?

When I bought my car someone had removed the park lights completly. I had nothing to compare to. I ordered my new light from virginia mustang. If I'm not mistaken the catalouge said will fit 69-70 mustang. They did not show a seperate bracket for each year model. What do you think??

When I bought my car someone had removed the park lights completly. I had nothing to compare to. I ordered my new light from virginia mustang. If I'm not mistaken the catalouge said will fit 69-70 mustang. They did not show a seperate bracket for each year model. What do you think??

Post pictures of what they sent you with the brackets clearly visible. My originals are still off the car since repainting so I can take pics this weekend of them for you to compare to.

Hi all, I now see I also have the 70 (2 wire) parking lights in my 69, which means the parking lights don't work but the turn signals do. Is there a way to get the parking lights to work by rewiring or am I stuck purchasing 69 lights? Since the unit is self grounded , can I split the 2 wire connection and splice each one into the 2 power connectors in the 3 wire harness connection?

Hi all, I now see I also have the 70 (2 wire) parking lights in my 69, which means the parking lights don't work but the turn signals do. Is there a way to get the parking lights to work by rewiring or am I stuck purchasing 69 lights? Since the unit is self grounded , can I split the 2 wire connection and splice each one into the 2 power connectors in the 3 wire harness connection?

that doesn't have anything to do with the lights themselves, it's in the headlight switch. and BTW, 69 parking lights don't come on with the headlights, they only come on when the headlight switch is in the park position and go off when the headlights come one. 70 models have park lights that come on with the headlights but again it's a function of the headlight switch NOT the park lights.

as for the different fit between the 69 and 70 park lights Ford updated the design in 70 to make it easier to change the park light bulbs. it was more difficult if not darn near impossible to change the bulbs on 69's without bending the bracket up or removing the assembly altogether. over the years people either bent the bracket on original cars or they changed out the original valance for a repro valance which i understand is slightly different to help with bulb changes as well. i know when i first got my car changing the bulbs was not an easy job. over the years i've changed valances out for a 70 valance at on point and now it has a repro 69 valance and the park light assemblies have also been changed out as well.

we have The light assembly off an original 70 car and it matches the restoration ones in the various catalogs.  We have modified the mounting to get a good alignment and back space in the valiance. They need to go up and forward.  Made the new bracelet from aluminum angle. Once done you can't see the fabrication of the bracelet and can still reach the lens screws from the front. Can't figure out how to include a picture. Email for a picture, thanks

evelyn.vlasak@earthlink.net