Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

Gotcha =) I like the look of the inset versus smooth all the way to the tail light panel. Just need to fill in the little 1" inset. Then I'm thinking of grinding down the MUSTANG letters to be flat instead of angled and glue them into that recess where SHELBY was supposed to go. I don't think it'll take too much to fill in between the extension and the tail light panel. I'll get some pictures when I can get the bolts lined up.

sounds cool.. cant wait for the pics...:tongue_smilie:

Gotcha =) I like the look of the inset versus smooth all the way to the tail light panel. Just need to fill in the little 1" inset. Then I'm thinking of grinding down the MUSTANG letters to be flat instead of angled and glue them into that recess where SHELBY was supposed to go. I don't think it'll take too much to fill in between the extension and the tail light panel. I'll get some pictures when I can get the bolts lined up.

After the floods here in GA I ended up taking a little time away from the build. So lately hadn't done too much. I did get the trunk lid & fender extensions temporarily mounted. Not perfectly straight yet, but that will come. I'm putting up a pic that shows the gap between the tail light panel and the extension. It's about an inch but shouldn't be too difficult to fill in.

Just worked on getting the windows in the car. No pics .. not too much excitement. I did have to drill holes that the Tiawan repop manufacturer left out so I could mount the hardware. :001_huh:

I did find out I SUCK at fibreglass, so going to have a local shop help me out with the trunk lid and extensions.

Found a vendor on Ebay that sells 99 seat upholstery and will let me order the front seat pieces only since I'll have the original seat in the back. Getting some samples then will run up to Mustangs Unlimited here in GA to compare the colors to original color to see what matches the best.

Just plodding along doing mediocre stuff till I can get money for paint.

After the floods here in GA I ended up taking a little time away from the build. So lately hadn't done too much. I did get the trunk lid & fender extensions temporarily mounted. Not perfectly straight yet, but that will come. I'm putting up a pic that shows the gap between the tail light panel and the extension. It's about an inch but shouldn't be too difficult to fill in.

It's still a better fit than on my 69' curved tail panel, that inch is about what the Shelby overlay panel would take up if it were added.

I did find out I SUCK at fibreglass, so going to have a local shop help me out with the trunk lid and extensions.

LOL that is usually best, it's not as easy to do as it looks and appears. I had the illusion that it would be much like paper mache or something but it ain't and you defintely want a nice finished look under the paint. I figure I had enough labor in mine to buy at least one more full kit if not two but very happy with the finsihed results and totally worth it considering the total amount I sank into the restoration, especially when you consider this is the view most will see. :shifty:

Here's what I am planning with my paint scheme. I built a Revell Mach 1 model and sawed off the top to make it a vertible :tongue_smilie:

The interior is a little light but it's close enuff.

I swapped out the stock wheels with some off of a custom shelby model so I could get an idea of my eventual wheel size. I might get an Elenor model just for the wheels LOL

It's been a while, but the last ones I messed with were on my GT Mustang and they are still basically the same design, lol.

First, know the orientation... the two wings should stick out and be visable from the outside of the hole pointing towards the center of the car.

Trick... Tie a small piece of safety wire on it so you dont lose it down in the rocker. You can always yank it out and reorient.

Install... You put it completely up in there with the tabs pointing inward, then pull the tabbed side out and over the edge then pull the remaining to clip into place. I think I may have used needle nose or one of those spring loaded 4 claw extendo pick up tools, then once you have the two tabs in place, depending how tight the fit, you may need to screw a bolt into it to yank it down into place.

Not too much progress to speak of yet. I did realize how damn simple it was to get those nuts in. I was way over thinking it. I just slid em in sideways and pulled em tight! Thanks for the tip Fordrevhead! :thumbup:

I'll try to nab some pics od where it stands now. Last things I did was finish mounting the rear window regulators and the convertible top frame. Still waiting on room at the shop to get the rest of the fibreglass work done.

Mr Ed

I bought repops for mine which is why I am probably having so many problems with lining them up. My Drivers door was beyond repair which is why I went with them.

I know Flight96 did reskin his doors under his topic :

He has some good pics

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

I've got the cowl painted and the inner doors are finished and undercoated. The drivers side door skin is on. I dry fitted it on the car first to be sure of the alignment. I then tack welded a few spots and pulled the door off the car.(Breaking 2 hinge bolts !!!:cursing:) Today I hope to finish the drivers side skin and get the door frame in primer, maybe I'll get started on the passenger side skin......

Attached Thumbnailsattachment.php?attachmentid=4344&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1235923306 attachment.php?attachmentid=4345&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1235923329 attachment.php?attachmentid=4346&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1235923355 attachment.php?attachmentid=4347&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1235923377

Are you saying when the lid is down and latched it does not sit flush?

There are some rods that run across near the back of the seat length wise that will adjust the tension of the hinges.

There are some rods that run across near the back of the seat length wise that will adjust the tension of the hinges.