Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

Yep 2K epoxy primer, right on the money. Good stuff .. need more LOL

The cowl had a little surface rust in the bottom but was not quite all the way rusted through, I ground it down and patched a little spot that looked weak. The top of the cowl however had to get new metal put in where the windshield had leaked over the years. I tried to do that piece myself by fabricating metal together but after some friends looked over my work I had to get that professionally done. But it was good to try!

Yesterday I worked on my seat tracks to add 3 inces of metal to my original tracks so I could retrofit my 1999 seats. I'll get some pics loaded up.

It's been a while since I've used that 2K, (or done body work for that matter). I couldnt believe the price has almost doubled! I just bought a competitors version for about half the price... which I hear works as well... some say it doesnt lay down quite as nice. It's the equivalent of the DP90 (satin black) and before I use it on a Mustang I will be using it on a drag car project that I am just cleaning up and making all one color to sell (seems some motorheads are afraid of body work)... I always thought it would look great in satin black anyway. So, I will let you know what I think of it.

It's been a while since I've used that 2K, (or done body work for that matter). I couldnt believe the price has almost doubled! I just bought a competitors version for about half the price... which I hear works as well... some say it doesnt lay down quite as nice. It's the equivalent of the DP90 (satin black) and before I use it on a Mustang I will be using it on a drag car project that I am just cleaning up and making all one color to sell (seems some motorheads are afraid of body work)... I always thought it would look great in satin black anyway. So, I will let you know what I think of it.

I've been running in too many directions at once but am making progress in a few directions on my car at least.

I have some repop doors that I got from Mustangs Unlimited and have them mounted and am working on getting them straight. I had to cut off my old door strikers as the original bolts would not budge. Hopefully this weekend I'll have them all set.

The other thing I am working on is the shock towers. I have been working on getting the towers off and will need any pointers folks have to make sure I do this right. I almost have the passenger side completely off, just need to grind down some extra bracing to get the last pieces separated. The drivers side has a lot of extra bracing that I need to work on.

Does anyone have any gotchas on this?

Thanks!

Ed

Thanks! I am looking forward to getting her to paint. The drivers side shock tower is giving me loads of trouble getting it cut off. The extra bracing is so strong and welded so thick that I've gone through almost 20 cutoff wheels and still haven't been able to get the tower off.

Moreover the passenger side replacement tower looks like it doesn't line up. So after I get the drivers side off I may need to turn that piece over to a true professional. I don't want to screw up the front end.

I got mine from Maier Racing, I don't think it had a Kit number though, not that I remember anyway. They didn't even list it on their website at the time in fact, they try to push their own design but they do make it obviously if you request it, it may even now be listed on their site. I'll bet their is a lot less modifying for a 70' since the tail panel is flat instead of curved, if you go this route you'll have to let me know how you make out with that.

I had bought it when they were going thru a rough patch so I had a few issues but in the end it was a very good quality part and I was pleased, don't know what their current situation is but they have to be back on track by now. I dug up the old thread to save ya some homework.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=346

Did you fill the notch going across the back or leave it open? Mustang Depot has the kit but says there is a molding that goes in there.

Depends on which notch you mean, there are actually two. I left the large one that you see in the picture you posted, that is where the mesh insert goes on the Shelby's. In the center of that notch was another notch on just the trunk lid that was about an inch wide in the center and ran to about an inch short of the ends, that is the notch that I had filled. This is a space for the pin ends of the SHELBY letters that attach to the grill insert. I decided to not go with this for two reasons, 1) the grill piece is very expensive and 2) it is drilled to center the 6 Shelby letters already and I wanted it to say Mustang so I bought the self adhesive letters instead of the pinned ones and I will have that center gap painted black the same time I have the tail panel done so it will have a simillar look to the Shelby design still.

My attempt to describe that is probably confusing, here's an out of the box picture I took that shows you it compared to the other modified pic.

101_0177.jpg

Edited by Pakrat
Added a pic.

Okay that makes sense to me now thanks! They rep was asiking if I wanted the expensive piece to go in the notch and I am certain now it's the piece for the Shelby lettering which I don't want either.

I'll me trying to get some pics from Mustang Week over here at Myrtle Beach, but I am stuck on dial up unless I find a free wi-fi =)

See Ya!

Ed

Got my MR Shelby trunk kit ordered! It should be here in a day or two. I'll get some pics uploaded when it arrives and all the fun of getting it to fit.

After burning up my old grinder I finally got a new one and finished getting the last of my shock towers off. Found some rust underneath so got some more practice welding in new metal on the frame rail.

Hunh, go figure, did they both tell you who their supplier was? I don't know if they source from Maier but when I was shopping around all the vendors were considerably more than buying direct from them. $300 is a HUGE savings, I just hope it isn't the ones in the maroon gel coat or you'll easily spend that and more getting them to fit. Post pics when it comes in!

Looks like somethiog happened over at Maier Racing cause they had targetted my rear deck lid and extensions to be sent two weeks ago and they didn't show. So I called again and they now look like they were sent yesterday. Will definately examine those pieces when they show up. They probably built a fastback version and then realized they needed the convertible pieces!

I did get some work done on the shock towers. A buddy from church stopped by and helped me wrestle the towers into place and get them welded in. I still need to do some straightening on the lower arm and making 'em purdy but hopefully can get that this week.

Ed

Finally got in the trunk and the extenders. The trunk looks real good. The extenders though, they need a lot of massaging to fit right. I'll need to get some pics to show how far off these things are, almost like the wrong parts.

hmmm .. so does it accept the 69 shelby insert and lettering..

Finally got in the trunk and the extenders. The trunk looks real good. The extenders though, they need a lot of massaging to fit right. I'll need to get some pics to show how far off these things are, almost like the wrong parts.

Yeah, I just cut all the bolts off that came on it just like my scoops, then we fit it perfectly and glassed in new bolts to line up perfect with the stock holes. I can't wait to see how it lines up to a stock 70' flat panel. Since all 70' Shelbys were leftover 69's they all had a Shelby panel over the curved 69' panel as well. In any case you shouldn't have any where near the fab work I did if you are keeping your stock mustang panel.

Oh that makes sense now the tail light panel has about an inch or so clearance between where the extender lines up. So it would be for that shelby panel over top .. hmm now wondering if I want to put in one of the honeycomb panels that may make it fit better or build out the fiberglass to meet with the existing panel. such decisions :tongue_smilie:

But the good thing is I am done with all my welding! (I think..LOL)

Shock towers are all in and lined up so I can build out my front end and drop if down off the jack stands.

Right, that's what I was trying to explain to you about the tail panel options way back when you you were deciding to get the real Shelby copy or not as it is not designed to work with any stock panel, Maier's own version is. As for the honeycomb panel I have to believe it only goes to the end caps, not under them to fill the gap, otherwise you couldn't mount it with stock caps as intended. You will have to modify the end caps and add material for sure, just not as much as I did with a curved panel.